History & Culture

tarheelmjfan

Does anyone have any suggestions for sites to see involving the history &/or culture of Georgetown, Grand Cayman? I'm looking for something other than Hell. We're not interested in going there. I can't find any information on historical sites. Thanks in advance for the help. :)

The National Trust for the Cayman Islands is a great starting point for things historic in Cayman. They manage the Mission House historic site. They also manage the very few remnants of the old Ft George in George Town - tourists walk past it without ever noticing it is there.

Bookbabe already mentioned the Cayman Islands National Museum in George Town and the Pedro St James (aka Pedro's Castle) historic site which has a nice multimedia presentation and guided tours of the old plantation house.

Right in the heart of the waterfront in George Town is the Elmslie Memorial Church. It is a historic structure particularly known for its beautiful mahogany ceiling that some say is fashioned in the style of an inverted ship's hull. I'm really not sure if the church is open for visitors during the weekdays.

And a little secret you will find inside right inside one of the stores at the back of Bayshore Mall - an early step well which was found during construction and preserved for viewing through a plexiglass floor.

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm thrilled with the response. I really wasn't expecting to have many options. It looks like this is going to turn into a perfect port day for us. The last time we were in GC, we just walked around town. We met some of the nicest people we've ever encountered. This time I wanted to see more of their history & culture. I didn't expect to be able to put together a great tour. I'm very excited about the possibility. We weren't planning to rent a car. We both hate driving on vacation. Is there another option for getting to the Pedro St James historical site? It looks like something we definitely don't want to miss.

drew, we love touring churches. I'll ask about public touring hours on another trip planning site. ;) We'll be there on Halloween. It's a Wednesday. Do you all observe that holiday? As a local, do you have any other non-touristy recommendations for places we should visit. I definitely want to make a stop at the cupcake shop. :D

Archived