Is the end near for D+ CL access

Perhaps Cruise Critic should offer "separate but equal" forums for people like SHICHIDAN who sail in suites and wish to avoid being contaminated by those who sail in lower category staterooms.

I fear, however, that some are taking the opinions that he has voiced as being typical of the opinions of suite guests in general, and would like to quickly disabuse people of that notion.

I speak only for my family and we completely agree with SHICHDAN. I am certain that there are more. What exactly is wrong with entirely seperate areas of the ship for first class AKA suite passengers? After all I paid for it. So, triple the suite rates and I'll still sail in them to maintain seperate areas.

We are very close to D+. The main reason I would like to be D+ is because in the mornings I would so like to be able to pop into the CL and get specialty coffee without having to go to the dining room and to get a mixed drink in the evening. Sometimes, it really is the little things which make a big difference.

Diamond Lounges being added to all ships will give you the same wonderful coffee that you get the the Concierge Lounge. You can also get that mixed drink, or more, in the evening between 5-8:30.

CL is for suite guests. They pay far more and deserve the perks accorded them

DL is for D and D+ and that other new ranking....

So what.....benefits are almost identical....major difference?

The CL is have less of those "how many points do you have?" "how many cruises have you been on?" etc,etc,etc.

Good move RCI.

The CL is have less of those "how many points do you have?" "how many cruises have you been on?" etc,etc,etc.

Good move RCI.

That other new ranking, Pinnacle Club Members, are given the same color SeaPass Card and the same benefits as Suite Guests.

I speak only for my family and we completely agree with SHICHDAN. I am certain that there are more. What exactly is wrong with entirely seperate areas of the ship for first class AKA suite passengers? After all I paid for it. So, triple the suite rates and I'll still sail in them to maintain seperate areas.

If it would allow me to distance myself from people who hold such positions, I might be tempted to support your position. However, I am egalitarian at heart and hate to promote the type of class welfare that such a position promotes. There are certainly non-mainstream lines that might cater to such people, but to date, RCI is not one of them.:)

Good move RCI.

I have been in many a Concierge Lounge and many a Diamond Lounge, and have heard that conversation less than 10% of the time.

I have heard it more in "regular" venues.

I think you guys are missing the point. The Vision class on the Enchantment does have a CL lounge which I love! However, what I love is the great food...i.e....shrimp, meatballs, scallops with bacon...etc....OK that's the hot stuff....about 6 more trays of cold goodies including chocolate covered strawberries. In addition to the open bar from 8 - 8:30....WOW! I love the coffee machine ....24hrs for me....need I go on? OK, I went to the Diamond lounge and they had nuts....that is it! Oh, I forgot the wine....which is fine...no coffee. So, you say they can change it and D+ can just go in the Diamond lounge and it will all be OK? Really? Goodby, RC....and I am not the only one....there is a BIG difference on Enchantment and Vision class ships from the CL to D lounge. I just hope the Grandeur will have the CL lounge with coffee machine, goodies, 24hr., for D+....I don't want to think about not having it....and I can't conceive of RC taking this away from the D+folks....there will be mega problems on the Vision class ships....are you listening RC?????

I think you guys are missing the point. The Vision class on the Enchantment does have a CL lounge which I love! However, what I love is the great food...i.e....shrimp, meatballs, scallops with bacon...etc....OK that's the hot stuff....about 6 more trays of cold goodies including chocolate covered strawberries. In addition to the open bar from 8 - 8:30....WOW! I love the coffee machine ....24hrs for me....need I go on? OK, I went to the Diamond lounge and they had nuts....that is it! Oh, I forgot the wine....which is fine...no coffee. So, you say they can change it and D+ can just go in the Diamond lounge and it will all be OK? Really? Goodby, RC....and I am not the only one....there is a BIG difference on Enchantment and Vision class ships from the CL to D lounge. I just hope the Grandeur will have the CL lounge with coffee machine, goodies, 24hr., for D+....I don't want to think about not having it....and I can't conceive of RC taking this away from the D+folks....there will be mega problems on the Vision class ships....are you listening RC?????

I am afraid that you are missing the point. Royal Caribbean is in the process of adding a Diamond Lounge to all of its ships.

What you are describing is the nightly Diamond Event, not the Diamond Lounge. This is held on ships that DO NOT have a Diamond Lounge.

I hope both have excellent and equal spaces available to them but I also would like to see this separation made in the future and encourage suite passengers to do as we do and petition the powers that be to make it so.

State your reasons in a businesslike manner with calmness and reason. They do listen in my opinion to both sides of the issue and appreciate input. I hope suite guests will make ourselves heard more while accepting any decision with respect.

I am D+ and sail exclusively in suites. I promise not to look down on you as I enjoy the CL now and always in the future. :rolleyes:

Enchantment, which is a Vision Class ship, will be getting a new Diamond Lounge, when she goes in for her enhancements in November, that will be located on Deck 6 just off the Spotlight Lounge and to the right as you walk in. In fact, Grandeur ,Splendour and Rhpasody, also Vision Class ships, have also had newly appointed Diamond Lounges added.:)

It will have the same wonderful coffee and continental breakfast that the CL currently has and it will have the same offerings from 5-8:30 that the CL has.

You have confused the nightly Diamond Event with the Diamond lounges which are being added to all of the ships in RCI's fleet and which will offer the same amenities (24/7 coffee machines, nightly hors d'ouevres, and cocktails, etc.) as are offered in the CLs.

As far as topics of discussion in a CL restricted to suite guests, questions about cruise points and cruising histories will probably still be bandied about, but they may be outweighed by discussions about who has the biggest or best suite on the ship, or how much they paid for their suite, and a complaint that RCI doesn't have butlers. Being able to afford a suite doesn't automatically improve the level of intelligent or thought provoking conversation.:rolleyes:

Why should D+ be upset if they are redirected to the DL. The Diamond Lounge offers the same amenities and, on some ships, has a much nicer view.

Or, does "Concierge Lounge" sound more prestigious than Diamond Lounge?

Guess you have never been on a Vision Class ship....there is a big difference between the CL ( food, open bar, coffee machine) and the Diamond lounge (nuts only and wine) Check it out!

It would get quite interesting if RCI limited the CL to suite guests and Pinnacles.

Even more interesting would be what RCI would ultimately do if it were just Pinnacles and suite guests who might complain about unruly kids in the CL. Wonder whose dollars they might value more at that particular time.;)

Right now the DL sounds like the better venue...they still don't allow kids...but I have a feeling that will change in the not too distant future.

If they don't make this change I would still like to see a family CL established for suite guests who want their kids to go to the CL with them.

I am D+ and sail exclusively in suites. I promise not to look down on you as I enjoy the CL now and always in the future. :rolleyes:

Your welcome to look down on me. I support you fully if that is how you get through the day.

You have confused the nightly Diamond Event with the Diamond lounges which are being added to all of the ships in RCI's fleet and which will offer the same amenities (24/7 coffee machines, nightly hors d'ouevres, and cocktails, etc.) as are offered in the CLs.

As far as topics of discussion in a CL restricted to suite guests, questions about cruise points and cruising histories will probably still be bandied about, but they may be outweighed by discussions about who has the biggest or best suite on the ship, or how much they paid for their suite, and a complaint that RCI doesn't have butlers. Being able to afford a suite doesn't automatically improve the level of intelligent or thought provoking conversation.:rolleyes:

Have I told you that I love reading your posts?:)

Guess you have never been on a Vision Class ship....there is a big difference between the CL ( food, open bar, coffee machine) and the Diamond lounge (nuts only and wine) Check it out!

Until recently, most of the Vision class ships didn't even have a CL - Enchantment was the exception because she got one during her "stretch" in 2005 or 2006, and Splendour had one set up a few years ago as well. But the other 4 - Vision, Rhapsody, Grandeur and Legend - had nothing until the advent of the Diamond Event (Legend (or was it Grandeur?) had a bootlegged CL, but it was turned into a card room when she started sailing in Asia). So suite guests had to choke on the same trail mix as D/D+/PC. Within the next few years, EVERY RCI ship (other than Majesty and the soon-to-depart-the-fleet Monarch) will have both a CL and a DL offering, as Patti has said, virtually identical amenities.

And the ships with no DL continue to offer a special breakfast area where you can get as much specialty coffee as you like. Granted, it's only available during breakfast, but it beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

And you can get any drink you like at the Diamond Event if you are willing to pay for it (at a 25% discount). So your choices are actually better than what you would find in the CL, which only has a single brand of each hard liquor, no frou-frou drinks and limited beer options.

Have been on Vision class and Radiance class where there is no dedicated Diamond Lounge but a Diamond Event.

As each ship goes in for enhancements, a newly appointed Diamond Lounge is being added that offers the same amenities as the Concierge Lounge.

Enchantment will be getting a Diamond Lounge in November. Splendour, Rhapsody and Grandeur, all Vision class ships, now have a Diamond Lounge as does Radiance, a Radiance class ship as well as Mariner a Voyager class ship.

Here's the enhancement schedule http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/12028421_Revit_QuickReference_Guide.pdf

You continue to fail to distinguish between the nightly Diamond event which is held in ships that do not yet have a Diamond Lounge, and those which do. The nightly event has free wine and soda, and discounted prices for beer and alcoholic beverages. A Diamond Lounge has (and will have on the Vision Class ships when they are revitalized) the same amenities that are currently offered in a Concierge lounge: 24/7 coffee machines, continental breakfasts in the morning, and a cocktail hour (5:00 pm to 8:30 pm approx.) where all beverages are free and there are a variety of hors d'ouevres). The nightly Diamond event is NOT the same thing as the Diamond Lounges being added to the ships in the fleet.

BTW, we have sailed on every class of RCI ship beginning in 1983 with the Song of Norway and are quite familiar with what the Vision class ships offer. In fact we were just onboard the Enchantment of the Seas when it visited Boston a few weeks ago. We have also sailed on Rhapsody, Legend, Splendour, Grandeur and Enchantment of the Seas over the years.

Diamond Lounges being added to all ships will give you the same wonderful coffee that you get the the Concierge Lounge. You can also get that mixed drink, or more, in the evening between 5-8:30.

I understand that - but as I read the upgrade schedule it will be May 2016 before that process is complete.

I understand that - but as I read the upgrade schedule it will be May 2016 before that process is complete.

All ships will be enhanced by December of 2014 with the exception of Jewel who will not have any enhancements done until April of 2016.

That is the date that the last ship (Jewel?) will be revitalized but most of the ships in the fleet will have been completed before then. It is a lengthy and costly process which they have sensibly spread out over a number of years but you should have a good selection of ships with DLs available to you well before 2016.

If this change were to be put into place maybe it will happen either after all of the ships have the DL put in place or maybe it will be staggered and implemented on each ship as it gets its DL. Just a thought.

Since, to a slight degree, the discussions on this thread have deteriorated into a controversy over "suite guests" and their perks vs "D+/Pinnacle C&A members" perks, I'd like to point out something that Adam Goldstein mentioned in one of his blogs:

"One more comment on this topic for now: when customers write me about policies related to suite guests, they consistently assume that suite guests are first time cruisers or at least have not demonstrated their loyalty to Royal Caribbean. This assumption could not be further from the truth. A very significant percentage of our top suite guests are in the upper tiers of the Crown & Anchor Society and have demonstrated great loyalty to our brand."

Those who seek to drive a wedge between suite guests and Crown and Anchor members ought to note that in many instance they are the same people.

Since, to a slight degree, the discussions on this thread have deteriorated into a controversy over "suite guests" and their perks vs "D+/Pinnacle C&A members" perks, I'd like to point out something that Adam Goldstein mentioned in one of his blogs:

"One more comment on this topic for now: when customers write me about policies related to suite guests, they consistently assume that suite guests are first time cruisers or at least have not demonstrated their loyalty to Royal Caribbean. This assumption could not be further from the truth. A very significant percentage of our top suite guests are in the upper tiers of the Crown & Anchor Society and have demonstrated great loyalty to our brand."

Those who seek to drive a wedge between suite guests and Crown and Anchor members ought to note that in many instance they are the same people.

I could not agree more. I proposed a seperate area simply for suite versus non suite guests. Much like Labadee implements (with some improvemnts of course). Suite guests should have the privledge of an entire seperate area regardless of Crown and Anchor level. It's quite simple really.

Archived