Water Tour

sue7045

I will be in Bermuda in October and I am looking for a tour of the island by catamaran. Does anyone know of a tour either through RC or on our own to see the island from the ocean. I have done glass bottom boat at night (wasn't impressed). I can't seem to find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure if you're interested in renting a small boat and doing your own tour of the beautiful West End but it's a great experience and easy to do. Look at Somerset Bridge Watersports or H2O Watersports, they offer 13 - 17' Boston whalers by the hour, 2 - 3 hrs is plenty of time to tour the west end and have a private picnic lunch on a small island beach. We loved our day.

Jet ski rental is also a great way to see the West End with a small group through Somerset.

We have a Boston Whaler from Somerset Watersports reserved for next month. Do you have any helpful hints you could share? Such as, details about the picnic lunch, anything we need to take with us (I have a twin-size sheet to use as a beach blanket, several zip-lock bags to keep things dry), or anything you think might be useful. Thanks for your help!

check out these, haven't done them but found them when I was doing research. I can never remember if we are allowed to provide links. If not the first is for consortcruises dot com and the second is for fantasea dot bm

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_00001c.htm

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_00001d.htm

We are renting a boat from somerset bridge water sports, this might be another option.

We have a Boston Whaler from Somerset Watersports reserved for next month. Do you have any helpful hints you could share? Such as, details about the picnic lunch, anything we need to take with us (I have a twin-size sheet to use as a beach blanket, several zip-lock bags to keep things dry), or anything you think might be useful. Thanks for your help!

Pack your own lunch and drinks on ice (do you have a collapsable cooler? If not buy a disposable cooler). We also take a beach bag (waterproof helps), the deck in the back of the boat gets wet when you are not moving so stow anything you want to keep dry (including your wife!) up front.

We were staying on island and had groceries and cocktails with us. You may want to buy subs at the pharmacy deli in the Dockyard. For drinks I can't help unless you want to stop at a store on the way. Somerset pays your taxi one way from Dockyard, I'm sure you could make a stop if you pay that portion of the fare.

Easy to drive and very stable. Harder to steer at slow speeds of course. You can take 'er under the Somerset Bridge and head West along the coast (toward the Dockyard) or head out of the bay into the ocean. The staff will let you know how the conditions are that day. Note that there is a traffic light under the bridge, just wait for it to turn green.

We enjoyed going down and around the ships then back under the larger bridge into open water. We then went into Mangrove Bay where Cambridge Beaches and H2O Watersports are located. You can see the "columns" close up (a rock formation) and there are also some nice small islands and beaches you can stop at for lunch.

Just tske your time and enjoy the coast, beautiful way to see the West End of Bermuda. Do take a cell phone just in case, I believe Somerset provides one. Have a great day and let me know if you have any more questions!

DW and I are thinking of renting a Boston Whaler, I'm over 300lbs so most jet ski places and even some Snorkel boats won't take me. 2 people on 4 person boat should be ok for my 6'8" 300lb+ size.

I hope...

Look at the 15' at Somerset or better yet the 17' at H2O and you should be fine

Pack your own lunch and drinks on ice (do you have a collapsable cooler? If not buy a disposable cooler). We also take a beach bag (waterproof helps), the deck in the back of the boat gets wet when you are not moving so stow anything you want to keep dry (including your wife!) up front.

We were staying on island and had groceries and cocktails with us. You may want to buy subs at the pharmacy deli in the Dockyard. For drinks I can't help unless you want to stop at a store on the way. Somerset pays your taxi one way from Dockyard, I'm sure you could make a stop if you pay that portion of the fare.

Easy to drive and very stable. Harder to steer at slow speeds of course. You can take 'er under the Somerset Bridge and head West along the coast (toward the Dockyard) or head out of the bay into the ocean. The staff will let you know how the conditions are that day. Note that there is a traffic light under the bridge, just wait for it to turn green.

We enjoyed going down and around the ships then back under the larger bridge into open water. We then went into Mangrove Bay where Cambridge Beaches and H2O Watersports are located. You can see the "columns" close up (a rock formation) and there are also some nice small islands and beaches you can stop at for lunch.

Just tske your time and enjoy the coast, beautiful way to see the West End of Bermuda. Do take a cell phone just in case, I believe Somerset provides one. Have a great day and let me know if you have any more questions!

Thank you for all your help. I made notes of the pharmacy deli, traffic light under bridge, keeping stuff dry in the front of the boat, and your route, in particular. Somerset Watersports will provide a cell phone as well as a cooler w/ice. We won't have a cooler with us, as we are flying from Florida (we live 1.5 to 4.5 hours from four cruise ports, but will fly to Baltimore for the opportunity to go to Bermuda). I expect this to be a game-changer for us, convincing us to fly to other ports in the future. And I expect the boating day to be the high point of this cruise.

Yes the cooler and ice are included there. They should also have a map showing the 3 bridges you can go under and the location of most of the islands.

You're right, once you start staying on the islands cruising just doesn't work there anymore. We still cruise occasionally, and the 3-day stay on Bermuda is one of the better cruises out there. But you need a week just to enjoy some of what Bermuda has to offer. We're looking forward to seeing beaches and other areas next trip that we missed last visit.

And the day on the boat was great for us, just one of the best spots to do this type of excursion. We're going to Grand Cayman in a few weeks and I inquired about this type of excursion there and I just got "huh?" type responses. I give you credit for looking at this and you will thoroughly enjoy your day on the beautiful blue water! ;)

Archived