Soft ice cream

geovet

Each ship seems to have a different set up for soft serve machines and when they are open. It's generally available all day long in some location. The Blue Lagoon is open 23 hrs a day and although I've never gotten any, would imagine they have some ice cream available.

The soft serve machine Is in the Garden Cafe buffet and they do leave it on when it closes until they run out of cones and ice cream at which point no one is around to refill. As 001 says, the set up differs on different ships.

Can you get soft ice cream any time like on Carnival?

That was the favorite part of my cruise with Carnival last December. OMG :eek: I would be up half the night roaming around the ship and always ended up back at the soft ice cream machine a few times each night. :D

There are ships with hard ice cream but I believe all the soft serve stuff is ice milk and not real ice cream. At least it was that way on the Sky

It seemed that way on the Star too. We love the Star and have sailed on her 4 times but the self serve ice cream is a disappointment. On the other hand, the strawberry ice cream I got in the Blue Lagoon was the best I'd ever had!

I'm looking at a cruise next year on the Dawn. My family got spoiled by the unlimited ice cream and yogurt on Carnival. We once went on a RC cruise and was disappointed with the lack of our favorite treat. We can't pack any in our bag either.:D

The soft serve machines were not 24/7 on the Jewel last week. They opened at lunch and closed when the Garden Cafe closed.

Exactly the same on the Spirit in March.

Also the same on Epic if I can remeber last year but could be wrong.

Kev:cool:

We were on the Pearl 1 yr ago and it had a terrific ice cream bar (scooped and lots of toppins to chose from). There was soft serve ice cream available until late at night too (and it was delicous). This was one of our favorite things to do at night!

We were on the Dawn in February and were very disappointed. You could only get scooped ice cream til 5pm out by the pool. The soft serve ice cream was defnately ice milk- and awful. A huge disappointment to our group for sure!!!

We are on the Sun next February and made it a point to make sure the ship has a Great Outdoors area and good ice cream!!!!

Okay..this subject is getting serious.. I really need to know:

What flavors?

Any toppings near by? (Hot fudge, carmel, nuts, etc.)

:D

And while we are at it, when is ice cream available on the Pride of America?

Is there a charge for the hard or the soft? Flavors would be nice to know also.

thanks

No, no charge. Varies by ship, but the hard ice cream stations have always had a variety of flavors, maybe five or six, maybe more. Always had toppings to put on. The soft serve machines have frequently been the three dispenser, including swirl types (chocolate and vanilla). On the Jewel last time, one soft serve machine was frozen strawberry yogurt. Again, each ship seems to be somewhat different in their ice cream program.

• 9 months later...
NCL does not generally have soft serve available 24 hours. As stated, most ships have soft serve ice milk for limited hours.

Real ice cream is mostly available until early evening.

That is what I figured, but I hoped that the newer ships would be different. Carnival's ice cream was nice and creamy, not icy. Back to Carnival I go, as the ice cream is a deal breaker for me

HI ALL

the soft serve on most ships is either ice milk or yogurt.

i have never had soft serve on a cruise like i get here on land

the hard ice cream seems to taste better

i wonder if they make there own hard ice cream

any one have the inside scoop? lol

HI ALL

I don't know about Royal and NCL, but Carnival has the ice cream like you would get on land. This one of the reasons I am not choosing a different line. I love my ice cream!

I don't know about Royal and NCL, but Carnival has the ice cream like you would get on land. This one of the reasons I am not choosing a different line. I love my ice cream!

Really? I definitely think it's more of an ice milk. Oh well, down the hatch, multiple cones per day! ;)

The best ice cream is HAL's MDR sundaes. Oh. My. God. The Caribbean sundae- I forget what it's called but it has fruit in it- to DIE FOR. :):):)

HI ALL

Here's the inside "scoop"...no they don't make their own. We were on the Epic in April and went to the Q&A with the Capt, Cheif Engineer & Hotel Dir. The Hotel Director told us a story that on one of the sailings this year, there was a mix up of some sort with the supply delivery before they left Miami and they had NO ice cream on board. They did some wheeling and dealing and basically bought every gallon of ice cream on St. Maarten.

He asked the audience "Can you imagine a cruise with NO ice cream?", everyone agreed it would be a tragedy

Archived