Brazilian visas

travelglobetrotter

We're on the Nov Amazon cruise, and have a Brazilian Visa issued in 2008 in our passports, set to expire in 2013, according to the Visa. A poster on our thread said this:

We had visas for a trip to Brazil several years ago, and called the N.Y. Brazilian Consulate office to find out if they were still valid. We were told that the U.S. and Brazil had mde an agreement about three years ago about visas, and that only visas that were procured since that date are valid, thus requiring us to apply for new ones.

Before going into panic mode, does anybody know anything about this? The last I read on these boards some months ago was that the Visa had been good for 5 years, and the new ones would be for 10. Help please. Marlene

We're on the Nov Amazon cruise, and have a Brazilian Visa issued in 2008 in our passports, set to expire in 2013, according to the Visa. A poster on our thread said this:

We had visas for a trip to Brazil several years ago, and called the N.Y. Brazilian Consulate office to find out if they were still valid. We were told that the U.S. and Brazil had mde an agreement about three years ago about visas, and that only visas that were procured since that date are valid, thus requiring us to apply for new ones.

Before going into panic mode, does anybody know anything about this? The last I read on these boards some months ago was that the Visa had been good for 5 years, and the new ones would be for 10. Help please. Marlene

I'm looking at my Visa which was issued November 2010 and it is good for 10 anos (years). I would guess that sometime after 2008, they were issued for 10 years. Hope this helps. Arlene

Thanks Arlene. I guess I'm still wondering about our 2008 visas though, which clearly state they are good for 5 years, which would mean good until Sept. 22, 2013, and which we have been relying upon as being valid in Nov. 2012. Marlene

I would suggest contacting Brazilian Embassy/Consulate for the definitive answer to your question (and document it in writing, if possible).

Go on line for this information. Brazil has a website explaining all of this. It will take at least 2 weeks to process a new visa.

I did check the Brazilian Consulate Official Web Site, which states

Long-duration visas (valid for 5 or 10 years, for instance) are valid from the day they were issued. Short-duration visas (valid for 30 or 90 days, for example) are valid from the date of first entry into Brazil. All visa holders, regardless of nationality or visa validity date, may only stay in Brazil for up to 90 days a year, unless otherwise noted on the visa. An extension of the original 90 days may be granted by the Federal Police Department in Brazil, yet total stay cannot exceed 180 days a year, unless otherwise noted

It also states that even if your passport expires before the visa does, just bring the old and new passports with you.

It seems definitive to me, but am I still missing something? Thanks, Marlene

It seems definitive to me, but am I still missing something? Thanks, Marlene

If you want to sleep well at night, contact the embassy with your specific situation and your specific question.

Don't leave it up to the customs agent to decide.

Our Brazilian visas were issued 8 Feb. 2008; they state they expire in 5 years. My wife & I used them for entry to the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls (from Argentina) on 13 March 2011 (per the passport stamp). No problem!

I did check the Brazilian Consulate Official Web Site, which states

Long-duration visas (valid for 5 or 10 years, for instance) are valid from the day they were issued. Short-duration visas (valid for 30 or 90 days, for example) are valid from the date of first entry into Brazil. All visa holders, regardless of nationality or visa validity date, may only stay in Brazil for up to 90 days a year, unless otherwise noted on the visa. An extension of the original 90 days may be granted by the Federal Police Department in Brazil, yet total stay cannot exceed 180 days a year, unless otherwise noted.

We one of the "five year" visas ... stamped inside it says: "Valid for multiple entries for 5 years from date of first entry." Doesn't seem possible that terms of existing visas can be altered. There's a LOT of conflicting information floating around ... we need some definitive answer.

... we need some definitive answer.

You won't get them here - only best guesses and individual experiences - not the same as official State policy. Brazilian officials can be very hard-nosed towards US citizens in this regard (due to our hard-nose policy toward their citizens).

Why is it so difficult to contact the Embassy and hear it from the "horse's mouth" (if you are concerned)? :confused:

Wow - this sounds like a nightmare. If it were me, and I know the Brazilian Consulates in the states are very un-helpful via phone, I'd just go for a new visa. Ours took about 5 days round trip (though I shipped the passports overnight USPS both ways). We got ours last month. I know it's expensive ($180 plus shipping etc) - but the last thing I'd want is to get down to Brazil and then find out I'm stuck in the airport or cruise port. Wish I could offer better advice. There DOES seem to be a ton of mis-information floating out there.

I will say that my partner got a new passport and forgot to sign it before we shipped it off. They returned it right away with a note to sign the passport and send it back. He has his visa 4 days later.

You won't get them here - only best guesses and individual experiences - not the same as official State policy. Brazilian officials can be very hard-nosed towards US citizens in this regard (due to our hard-nose policy toward their citizens).

Why is it so difficult to contact the Embassy and hear it from the "horse's mouth" (if you are concerned)? :confused:

A few months ago, we attempted to contact the embassy in Houston, TX, for five weeks. We were never able to speak to a human being and left approximately 30 messages. No phone call back was ever received, so we bit the bullet and paid a Houston agent to handle everything.

A few months ago, we attempted to contact the embassy in Houston, TX, for five weeks. We were never able to speak to a human being and left approximately 30 messages. No phone call back was ever received, so we bit the bullet and paid a Houston agent to handle everything.

Not nice (and not good). :mad:

I sent an e mail to the Turkish Embassy (different issue) and had a reply within a couple of days.

I am sure all embassies have enough staff to handle these types of issues (if they wanted to).

I had a Brazilian Tourist Visa issued in 2010 under the conditions of -

- Valid for up to 2 entries per annum (of 90 days each)

- No first must enter by date specified on passport

- Visa valid for life of passport .

Move to May 2012 :

So arrive in Peru and to be safe go to Brazilian Embassy in Lima to check that Visa is valid . After some discussion it is agreed Visa is valid and I am sent on my way.

Arrive at Brazilian Border at Iguazzu Falls to be taken aside re old Visa . After some discussion it is agreed it is a valid Visa and I was admitted and assured I would have no further troubles.

From Brazil we then moved into Argentina and then back again a week later to enter Brazil again at Rio de Janiero . Again taken aside because of age of Visa. After much arm waving and consternation including phoning Iguazzo as to why I had been admitted I was allowed into Brazil a second time.

So either get some written authority from your local Brazilian Embassy saying your current Visa is valid, or get a new Visa altogether .

Apparently Brazil has gone back to issuing Visas with an Enter by date for all Visas issued from around February 2012.

I had a Brazilian Tourist Visa issued in 2010 under the conditions of -

- Valid for up to 2 entries per annum (of 90 days each)

- No first must enter by date specified on passport

- Visa valid for life of passport .

Move to May 2012 :

So arrive in Peru and to be safe go to Brazilian Embassy in Lima to check that Visa is valid . After some discussion it is agreed Visa is valid and I am sent on my way.

Arrive at Brazilian Border at Iguazzu Falls to be taken aside re old Visa . After some discussion it is agreed it is a valid Visa and I was admitted and assured I would have no further troubles.

From Brazil we then moved into Argentina and then back again a week later to enter Brazil again at Rio de Janiero . Again taken aside because of age of Visa. After much arm waving and consternation including phoning Iguazzo as to why I had been admitted I was allowed into Brazil a second time.

So either get some written authority from your local Brazilian Embassy saying your current Visa is valid, or get a new Visa altogether .

Apparently Brazil has gone back to issuing Visas with an Enter by date for all Visas issued from around February 2012.

Hello David - long time no hear :D

That was my point about customs officers' attitude and I would not take a chance to be subjected to their interpretation of the law. Just remember - they are ALWAYS right (while on duty). Some of these border control officers (not just in Brazil) seem to enjoy their temporary "power" over you.

Either get a new visa or get it in writing that your visa is good.

That's what I would do.

As can be seen from the above post, individual experiences can varry considerably, regardless of the "true law"

Well here's what I found out ... from Atlanta Brazilian Consulate -

I emailed them the following: " I have a Brazilian visa that was issued 09/20/2007. The stamp reads " ... Valid for multiple entries for 5 years from date of first entryy ... " The date of first entry was 11/21/2007. ... I have read elsewhere that Brazilian visas expire 5 (or 10) years from DATE OF ISSUE (which was 09/20/2007) ... I need some clarification as to which information is correct as I will be traveling in early November. Thank you for any help that you might be able to provide."

And I received this reply (which I printed and intend to carry with me): "

Back in the time you got your visa, the visa had to be validated by entering Brazil within 90 days from date of visa issuance. And according to you, you fulfilled that condition when you entered Brazil on Nov 21st same year." Nowadays (since Dec 2009), Brazil long-term visas do not need to be validated as they are good for a certain number of years from the moment they are issued."

I hope that helps in this discussion.

I emailed the LA Consulate, citing our situation, which is same as bigmjh's, except for the dates being in 2008, but didn't get a personal response, just a canned one reciting the 5 year validity, the entry stamp, and stating that if the passport expires before the visa date, just to bring both passports along. Of course I printed the response and will bring it with me. Getting the visa in 2008 was a horrible experience, taking more than 2 months, even using the service recommended by the tour co. Trying to get another one gives me the heebie jeebies. Would not have booked this cruise if getting a visa was needed. Never have had problems with any other visa. Seems like Brazil is just difficult, and I hope they clean up their act before the next Olympics. Maybe that's why they went to 10 year visas, to have a head start! Thanks to all of you for your info and advice. Marlene

Seems like Brazil is just difficult...

If you think getting a Brasilian visa is difficult for US cits, it is because you are unaware of how truly onerous it is (was) for Brasilians to get a US visa. Up until recently, a personal interview had to be scheduled long in advance (a wait of 3 months was usual) and was anything but routine.

In connection with our planned visit to the US, I recently accompanied my Brasilian wife to her visa renewal interview at the US embassy in Rio. Bear in mind she was over 50, lived in Rio all her life together with a large extended family, owned and operated a Rio store, in addition to which she was married to and living with me - a US cit permanently residing in an apt I own in Rio. A young embassy staffer questioned her pretty intensively in order to assure himself she was not a risk of staying in the US permanently.

I understand that the US is streamlining its requirements for Brasilians to get US visas, but a personal is still required for first time applicants.

If you think getting a Brasilian visa is difficult for US cits, it is because you are unaware of how truly onerous it is (was) for Brasilians to get a US visa. Up until recently, a personal interview had to be scheduled long in advance (a wait of 3 months was usual) and was anything but routine.

In connection with our planned visit to the US, I recently accompanied my Brasilian wife to her visa renewal interview at the US embassy in Rio. Bear in mind she was over 50, lived in Rio all her life together with a large extended family, owned and operated a Rio store, in addition to which she was married to and living with me - a US cit permanently residing in an apt I own in Rio. A young embassy staffer questioned her pretty intensively in order to assure himself she was not a risk of staying in the US permanently.

I understand that the US is streamlining its requirements for Brasilians to get US visas, but a personal is still required for first time applicants.

I understand your frustration but the post 9/11 reality for US is that:

1 Terrorists are not very eager to infiltrate Brazil, unlike the US

2 Few US citizens enter Brazil with the intention of staying permanently; the reverse cannot be as certain.

Archived