IF Oceania were do make ADULT ONLY cruising possible would you  

202 members have voted

1. 1. IF Oceania were do make ADULT ONLY cruising possible would you

• YES on Adult Only ship
    • NO way on adult only ship
    • Yes on an Adult Only Itinerary
    • NO way on an Adult Only Itinerary, I love kids
    • Maybe

Have been on 3 Oceania cruises so far and have to say that we did enjoy having a more adult oriented cruise experience and knowing that Oceania didn't cater to families was one of the reasons we chose to cruise with this line, along with the casual atmosphere, good cuisine, smaller ships, etc. It seemed like a complete package for a great time. Actually don't recall having any children on board for any of these cruises ( Panama Canal, Mediterranean, Middle East ) but none were taken during school vacation time which was probably a major factor. Of course if there did happen to be a small number of well behaved children on board, that wouldn't have been a deal breaker for us.

Because to paraphrase an old adage: On vacation if the kids aint happy aint nobody happy.

You got that right!

And great children are a pleasure to be around. The other kind if child, though ...

I'm willing to bet that all of us old fogies were just the bestest children ever. (I think my parents would have agreed that we were most of the time, but not all the time for SURE.) My mother did treasure I letter I wrote to her at about age 7 that started out, "Dear Poison". (Come to think of it, maybe that was addressed to my sister, I'm not sure!

Mura

I am an old crabby person & yes I was the perfect child .

My mother did not use the term kids either unless she was talking about baby goats LOL

I grew up with "Children should be seen & not heard" generation

If we went out to a restaurant you sat still, no talking, no elbows on the table ...well you probably know the drill if you are a certain age :D

anyway an interesting poll... for sure

There were children on my last Marina trip - summer time. Since there are no special facilities on board, I would assume that parents wouldn't bring kids who need special services or coddling. The children seemed to be well behaved and didn't impact negatively at all on us. But maybe we were lucky!

My preference is for the Oceania focus on an adult cruising experience avoiding the theme park at sea concept. Having said that I have no problem with children that are happy, polite and well behaved in that environment. The same goes for the adults.

You got that right!

And great children are a pleasure to be around. The other kind if child, though ...

I'm willing to bet that all of us old fogies were just the bestest children ever.

Mura

I was certainly not the"bestest" child. But my parents understood that there were appropriate places to take children and inappropriate places. They knew about babysitters. When we went on vacation as a family is was to a place with children's activities. Once in a while they took an adult vacation without me (I loved staying home with my great baby sitters!). Nowadays, many parents just take their kids everywhere -- appropriate or not. You see two year olds at museums and in movie theaters -- toddlers in elegant restaurants disturbing diners who have paid a lot for their meal and do not want to hear screaming/crying children or have other people's children running around the restaurant because they cannot sit still through a 3 hour meal. I have even been to evening meetings where there was official business to be done and screaming kids were interfering with the discussion and were a distraction. We have all been places where we have said, "Why do they have a toddler in here?"

My first O cruise had one infant on it with the most obnoxious parents and grandparents making more noise than the kid made billing and cooing at the baby. Why on earth would anyone take an infant on a cruise????

The problem is not the kids. There are no bad kids. There are only bad parents. If you take a child to a place where there is nothing for the child to do, the results are predictable.

SO -- back to Oceania. There are no activities. What is the child to do? They see a pool. There is no kiddie pool so the pool is for splashing and jumping (that's what kids do!). There really is no children's menu. A meal in the GDR can take hours (I know adults who cannot dine for hours). They get impatient. They act out. Surprised?? There are no evening activities -- so they go the the lounges and bars -- none of us wants to be in a lounge or bar with kids.

I really hope O is listening.

Of course my tongue was definitely in my cheek when I assumed that "we" were the bestest children ever. My parents likewise did not take us out inappropriately, and I remember several trips they took without us when we were quite young. And when we were on trips with them as older children (but definitely pre-teen), we wouldn't have considered acting up. We knew better than to try!

As you say, the parents need to do their job. A college friend of mine had a daughter who admittedly was spoiled rotten. But at 3 years of age they could take her to the nicest of restaurants and she just loved foods like escargot. Most unusual, but it can happen.

I agree, that some of those dinners in the GDR can take a very long time from beginning to end and it is unfair to ask a young child to endure them.

Mura

I just voted for all adult itineraries as it is the itinerary that decides which cruise we will book. I must say that I concur with the majority who have pointed out that the kids are not the problem ~ the parents are. DH and I just returned from LA where we attended a wedding. The bride and groom booked a block of rooms at an upscale (read, overly expensive) hotel ~ I never would have stayed there if not for the wedding. Sunday morning I went to the pool for some R & R. It never happened. Three kids, all about 5 years old, splashed and shouted while the two moms sat as far away as possible, drinking their Starbuck's. Then two 10 year olds started diving into the pool despite the No Diving signs. Their parents were nowhere in sight. I finally left because I didn't want to be the person in charge by default. Yes, the parents were irresponsible and it spoiled my time at the pool, but I wonder why the parents aren't concerned about what could happen to their kids without supervision, i.e. serious injuries or abductions. Or am I just an old-fashioned worry wart? OTOH, on our Coral Seas cruise this past March we had a 3 year old on board, accompanied by parents and grandmother. They always ate in Terraces and were supplied with games, coloring books, etc. The child was friendly but never obnoxious, and his enthusiasm for model boat races, etc. was infectious. Just another example of parents setting the tone.

Harriet

And you can be assured that if Sweetie Pie gets hurt diving (even with no diving signs) there will be a law suit. Just last week there was a baby in diapers in our clubhouse pool. Nobody wanted to speak to the grandmother because they were friends with her. I didn't know her so I ratted on her to the person in charge. Why can't people understand rules are for everyone and not only "the others."

I'm one of the people who voted "no way".

My husband and I travel with our teenage son. I cherish the memories we have created seeing the world: frequent trips to Europe, Africa, and Latin America. When we travel, we enjoy an upscale experience including lodging and dining. We booked on Oceania for both an itinerary and ship experience which are simply unavailable on most mass market ships.

I admit, we enjoy a more subdued environment. Sea days are spent reading books. Port days are spent on tours and soaking up the culture of foreign lands. Nights include leisurely dinners followed by my husband and I going out for drinks in the lounge while our son relaxes in the cabin. Some nights, we like to watch a movie in the cabin as a family. For us, family vacations were meant to be together.

Some parents choose a vacation where they spend time as a couple and the children are off in programming. Mass market cruise lines are perfect for these families, but I agree with others who think that unsupervised children will be bored and troublesome on a line like Oceania. I take offense at those who state that parents who choose to bring children on Oceania are only thinking of themselves. My son loves cruising -- his favorite experience to date was on Seabourn (he's a foodie). We have taught our son that there is a time and place for everything. We visit Disney World and Universal Studies for typical family getaways. His behavior is more relaxed in these environments. When we go to a fine restaurant or hotel/cruise, he is expected to behave appropriately.

Perhaps the problem is expectations and guidelines. Our son knows what we expect and what the rules are. Oceania needs to do the same for its guests. I don't think banning children is the answer (a few bad eggs shouldn't ruin it for everybody). Still, explaining what is available to children onboard, listing behavioral guidelines, and stating consequences of poor behavior should be done in a brochure or at the time of booking.

For example:

Oceania caters to the adult cruiser. While children are allowed on Oceania, only select cruises will have children's programming. Children are expected to behave appropriately at all times: no running, shouting, door slamming, or congregating in the halls will be allowed. While children are welcome to swim in the pools, no splashing or games will be tolerated. Children are not allowed in any hot tub. Children ages 14 and younger should be accompanied by a parent at all times. If these rules are violated, parents will be given a warning. Any subsequent violation will result in the child being confined to the cabin or the family being removed from the ship, at the discretion of the captain.

Most parents would read the above statement and think twice about bringing children on board Oceania. However, those with well behaved children who enjoy seeing the world by upscale cruise ship would still be allowed.

I just saw that NCL is now charging for infants on their ships. a 7 day NCl carribe cruise will charge a 1 month old and up, $520 @

Maybe this financial situation will cause a reduction in children .

;) Oceania ought to charge full fare to everyone, whatever the age. That might furthur give parents pause to think if they have to lay out $300 a day for their little" angel".

I just saw that NCL is now charging for infants on their ships. a 7 day NCl carribe cruise will charge a 1 month old and up, $520 @

Maybe this financial situation will cause a reduction in children .

;) Oceania ought to charge full fare to everyone, whatever the age. That might furthur give parents pause to think if they have to lay out $300 a day for their little" angel".

I believe Oceania does not discount for children but I may be wrong.

I'm one of the people who voted "no way".

\

I think you are the ONLY person who voted that way. LOL

Obviously you do an exceptional job of parenting. Your child's behavior would not present a problem to even those of us who wish O would ban kids altogether.

Bad parents don't think the warnings apply to their "good kids."

I take offense at those who state that parents who choose to bring children on Oceania are only thinking of themselves. My son loves cruising -- his favorite experience to date was on Seabourn (he's a foodie). We have taught our son that there is a time and place for everything. We visit Disney World and Universal Studies for typical family getaways. His behavior is more relaxed in these environments. When we go to a fine restaurant or hotel/cruise, he is expected to behave appropriately.

I hope you realize that the least impartial judges of a child's behavior are their own parents. Also that while a child may behave when their parents are in sight, that behavior that can abruptly change when they aren't around. I'm not saying its so in your case, but parents have a notoriously bad record of overestimating how well behaved their children are. That's why there needs to be some sort of policy. Its for all the parents who are all starry eyed about their little angel, not for the ones the manage to behave.

I hope you realize that the least impartial judges of a child's behavior are their own parents. Also that while a child may behave when their parents are in sight, that behavior that can abruptly change when they aren't around. I'm not saying its so in your case, but parents have a notoriously bad record of overestimating how well behaved their children are. That's why there needs to be some sort of policy. Its for all the parents who are all starry eyed about their little angel, not for the ones the manage to behave.

You are so right

I spent 11 years as a high school principal. I wish I had a nickel for every time I called a parent to report a problem and the parent told me, "My child would never do that." Parents all think that they "know" their kids. Most do not.

I'm a former elementary school teacher and completely agree with you. That's why I suggested that children should have to be accompanied by a parent at all times.

I think you are the ONLY person who voted that way. LOL

Obviously you do an exceptional job of parenting. Your child's behavior would not present a problem to even those of us who wish O would ban kids altogether.

Bad parents don't think the warnings apply to their "good kids."

Exceptional parent would be a stretch! Yet, I strongly believe that it's my job to teach my child appropriate behavior. I'm also lucky to have a child who enjoys activities that are more adult in nature. He's a book worm and loves history. If he was a sports junkie, I would never dream of taking him on Oceania.

Exceptional parent would be a stretch! Yet, I strongly believe that it's my job to teach my child appropriate behavior. I'm also lucky to have a child who enjoys activities that are more adult in nature. He's a book worm and loves history. If he was a sports junkie, I would never dream of taking him on Oceania.

From everything I read here you are an exception to the rule - you should be proud of bringing up your children correctly.

I am sure YOUR son would not be a problem (as far as I can tell), but you are in a minority.That is what a set of very specific rules of behavior needs to be implemented and enforced by Oceania (for ALL passengers, for that matter).

One of which' date=' Adonia, is an "R" ship :)[/quote']

Really? Hmmmm...

I voted "adults only ship" and I wish the poll results weren't private. Pretty soon I predict there will be some posters who don't cruise Oceania who are going to start posting different results just to start a ruckus.

Really? Hmmmm...

I voted "adults only ship" and I wish the poll results weren't private. Pretty soon I predict there will be some posters who don't cruise Oceania who are going to start posting different results just to start a ruckus.

The poll results aren't private, right now the adults are winning at about ten to one.

Archived