Massdam: 2,000 pounds of Maine Lobster

Salacia

How delicious is this: The Massdam is taking delivery of 2,ooo pounds of fresh lobster from Bar Harbor, Maine next week. Local lobstermen are happy and no doubt there'll also be some happy passengers after that dinner. Nice local news story can be found at http://fenceviewer.com/site/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=76227:cruise-ship-will-%E2%80%98buy%E2%80%99-bar-harbor&Itemid=938

To you lucky Massdam passengers - enjoy :)

Regards,

Salacia

Good stuff; when on her regular Canada/NE schedue, Maasdam frequently takes on mussels - if you're into that sorta thing, basically shells with beards:eek: - at Charlottetown, PEI

Num, Num, Num. Fresh East coast Lobsters and PEI Mussels. I too would love to be on that cruise. Nothing better than a big bowl of mussels that have been steamed in wine & garlic and then a beautifully steamed lobster. Wish HAL did fresh oysters on the half shell. :)

Num, Num, Num. Fresh East coast Lobsters and PEI Mussels. I too would love to be on that cruise. Nothing better than a big bowl of mussels that have been steamed in wine & garlic and then a beautifully steamed lobster. Wish HAL did fresh oysters on the half shell. :)

Don't forget to eat a mint or 37 after all that garlic!;)

Good stuff; when on her regular Canada/NE schedue, Maasdam frequently takes on mussels - if you're into that sorta thing, basically shells with beards:eek: - at Charlottetown, PEI

John, where does the Maasdam usually get her lobsters on the Canada/New England cruise? I guess I assumed it was always locally bought in Maine. I hope it isn't that they have bought warm water lobsters somewhere else...rather than the cold water variety from New England!

John, where does the Maasdam usually get her lobsters on the Canada/New England cruise? I guess I assumed it was always locally bought in Maine. I hope it isn't that they have bought warm water lobsters somewhere else...rather than the cold water variety from New England!

Baah Habaah & Baaston, oh, and a couple lost ones from Tijuana, Mexico

Baah Habaah & Baaston, oh, and a couple lost ones from Tijuana, Mexico

They're making the Maine lobsterman very happy, I am sure. The price of lobstah has dropped tremendously...but we're not seeing those reduced prices here on the island...even though most of the lobstah's come from Maine. In fact, the price has gone up in the restaurants...can you say "rip off"? :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:

Ohhh, so good. Lobsters from cold Maine waters are wonderful.

We had hard shell lobsters for dinner Sunday and a couple pounds of steamed clams. What a feast!!!!!

PEI (Charlottetown) are just about the best mussels anywhere. :) We always have bucket of them each visit.

Lucky Maasdam with all those lobsters being loaded.

Ohhh, so good. Lobsters from cold Maine waters are wonderful.

We had hard shell lobsters for dinner Sunday and a couple pounds of steamed clams. What a feast!!!!!

PEI (Charlottetown) are just about the best mussels anywhere. :) We always have bucket of them each visit.

Lucky Maasdam with all those lobsters being loaded.

Judy, I've always assumed that the Canada/New England cruises would serve Maine lobsters but this thread is making me wonder if it's the exception rather than the rule :confused: Am I wrong?

We have had Maine lobster on Maasdam's Canada cruises a few times when they made FABULOUS seafood buffet at lunchtime. We have never had it served at dinner. They serve the same frozen lobster tails as on all the other ships.

We have heard a few times the chef's made thermador. They did a huge amount of work to do that and apparently there was moaning it wasn't the usual tails. We never had the thermador but I heard about it a few times.

Small lobsters (one pounders) are the lowest price this year they have been in years and it's great Maasdam will treat everyone to fresh Maine lobster. At the usual prices, it isn't a treat they can always offer. Kudos to the Chefs for planning that. :)

I will add for anyone rushing out to order lobsters, the larger size ones (2 pounds and up) are still priced very high. We got two lobsters about 2 1/2 or 3 pounds on Sunday and it was very pricey, as usual. Any lobster under one pound must be thrown back to be allowed to grow and reproduce.

Sheila

Sail is right.

The lobsters that we have had served in the main dining room at dinner on various different Canada/New England cruises -- including the Maasdam -- were all the frozen ones -- tiny and tough.

How disappointing...I assumed the ships...HAL or otherwise...would buy provisions locally.

When I hear about Maine Lobster, I wish I lived on the East Coast.

It's not the same as actually living here and getting lobsters that were swimming 30 minutes ago but you can order lobsters shipped live. We have various companies that package them for shipping and they're very easy to cook when you receive them.

Not inexpensive but available if you really want some wonderful Maine lobster.

How disappointing...I assumed the ships...HAL or otherwise...would buy provisions locally.

Far more likely for provisions to be purchased in huge bulk throughout Carnival Family. Makes for much better pricing.

It's a once in a while situation where Maasdam would load on 2,000 pounds of lobster. The local fishermen have to be thrilled!!!

Archived