Happy camper

Tikiintahiti

After looking into all the options, I decided on the Hilton Garden Inn in El Segundo. We arrive into LAX at 10:20 am on Jan. 20, and don't fly out until 4:35 on the 21st, so hopefully we'll have the afternoon and following morning to do something, and I thought this location would be better for walking around or going to the beach or something. With tax it was $127.53, the rate includes breakfast and internet, and rooms have a fridge. It has a 24 hour shuttle also.

We payed $157 for the Marriott Ren., but are flying in late at night so only have morning time to use facilities. They have said if space and because we are Elite we can have extended check out or for $99 pay for the use as a day room because our flight out is so late. Will decide when there.

There is really nothing to which to walk around the Hilton in El Segundo although it is a pleasant enough neighborhood. We stay at the Marriott Courtyard which is nearby but we park our car there while travelling. With a car, Manhattan Beach is a short drive away. There are also some good restaurants in El Segundo but not within a reasonable walking distance of the Hilton.

There is a Los Angeles Metro Rail station beside the hotel which you might want to research. Maybe on another Board here or on Trip Advisor you could get advice on good places to take the LA Metro from your hotel.

I was curious and discovered the LA Metro Rail has stops in downtown LA, which might be worth a visit.

More importantly, I checked up on the Hilton Garden Inn on Trip Advisor and found that the hotel will shuttle guests to a nearby mall and to Manhattan Beach.

Yes, I did notice, before reserving, that there was a metro station adjacent. I wanted to go to Hollywood and just wander around, which will take about an hour via metro, but it will depend on weather, and if we arrive on time, etc. Thought about a tour, but I have zero interest in the stars' homes, which seem to always be included. Don't want to spend the $$ for a custom tour. Manhattan Beach by the hotel shuttle is another option, or we could take a bus to the Kenneth Hahn Recreation Area, which has some hiking trails. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed like if we did just want to go for a walk to stretch our legs and get a bit of exercise, this area would be better than the area just east of LAX. Thanks for your thoughts, Markser.

Does anyone know if there is a car rental company in El Segundo? We are going to a condo in Oceanside following our PG cruise. Our flight arrives into LAX at 10:00 am on a Sunday. My original plan was to pick up the car at the airport, then drive south to Oceanside, but I've been reading many horror stories about the long waits and hassles at the rental depots there, including Hertz and Avis, which were my first considerations. We want to rent a car for almost 7 weeks, and return it to SFO airport, so I think I need to go with a bigger company. I'm not sure if a long wait to get the car to begin with will help our already-sleep-deprived brains to do this drive! I'm considering the Flyaway bus to Union Station followed by a train to Oceanside, but then we won't have a car until the next day, as neither Avis nor Hertz in Oceanside is open on Sunday afternoon. If there's a rental place in El Segundo, it might be less of a hassle to get a car there. I don't find Hertz or Avis, but maybe there's another company. Any other ideas would be welcome!

You could take the train a little further to Carlsbad if the car rental companies are open there on Sunday afternoon or take the train all the way into San Diego and rent a car there. Then you would have to drive back to Oceanside, which would take about 50 minutes from San Diego depending on traffic.

You could also check United Airlines. It has flights (operated by Skywest) from LAX to Carlsbad on Sundays and there are car rental companies at the Carlsbad airport.

However, by the time you deal with transferring to a train or another plane you would be better off standing in a long line at LAX and getting the car there. The drive from LAX to Oceanside on a Sunday shouldn't take more than 90 to 100 minutes.

There are probably also limo services that will take you from LAX to Oceanside but you wouldn't have your rental car until Monday.

While you're in Oceanside, have dinner at Pacific 333 in the Wyndham near the Oceanside pier and at the Oceanside Lighthouse Oyster Bar and Grill at the Harbor.

Archived