Happy camper

Tikiintahiti

Revised my travel plans a bit today. I was taking the red eye flight out of LAX on the 21st of December and then having a day room at the IC on the 22nd prior to boarding.

I changed my flight to the red eye on December 20th arriving in PPT at 6 am on the 21st. Had my day room for the 22nd upgraded to an over night stay with late checkout for the night of the 21st.

So we get a complete day to run around on the 21st, good night sleep & can see the show at the IC on the evening of the 21st.

All good :)

Thats great.

Did the PG give you late checkout prior to the cruise at the IC?

Or did you do it on your own?

We were supposed to take the 4pm flight on day of cruise reaching midnightish. Then we amended to night before cruise overnight flight for 225$ each. Then DH 'found' some extra vacay and we are now flying TO to LAX on friday night. Overnight LAX not decided where - one of the airport hotels. Then 4pm saturday flight to Papeete with overnight in IC. Sunday morning ferry to Moorea Sofitel and staying pre cruise for 3 nights. Another happy camper!

We set it up this way initially. We will arrive at 10 PM and have a whole day and another night. We just felt after such long flights, it's nice not to have to get up and check out early. Tiki- we are taking your advice to do some touring and dining around Papeete, since it's our first visit.

Thats great.

Did the PG give you late checkout prior to the cruise at the IC?

Or did you do it on your own?

We were supposed to take the 4pm flight on day of cruise reaching midnightish. Then we amended to night before cruise overnight flight for 225$ each. Then DH 'found' some extra vacay and we are now flying TO to LAX on friday night. Overnight LAX not decided where - one of the airport hotels. Then 4pm saturday flight to Papeete with overnight in IC. Sunday morning ferry to Moorea Sofitel and staying pre cruise for 3 nights. Another happy camper!

We are doing the same and booked an overnight at the Marriott Renaissance Airport.They gave us a great rate bellow internet rate and latest check out and they have 24 hr. shuttle free from LAX

Red eye from LAX - PPT

Arrive on a Friday at 6:00 am

Have confirmed rental car from the PPT airport, we wil lhave for 32 hours.

Over night room at Tahiti IC

Go shopping until room is ready around 2 pm

Come back, go swimming in the nice pool

Have diiner and watch floor show

Get a good nights sleep

Have car so we can load up and zip around Tahiti

Drop car at downtown location

Car rental place to drop us off at PG at 2:45 pm so we beat the tranfer crowds.

All this vecame possiblr for that little upgrade plus the cost of a rental car for the day. Me very happy :)

The show at the IC Tahiti is the best in all of FP unless it's Heiva season. (July)

If you have other questions please email me.

Jerry@jerrydallons.com

Jerry...will do...I have several questions! But we leave monday for the Galapagos, so once I'm back and have collected my thoughts, ( done my laundry;)) I'll be in touch. I'm hoping to get some details about the biking idea and which shore excursions to " miss" in order to do that, as well as your impressions of the Polynesian show at IC. Talk to you when we get back!

Actually cruisedreamer I dont think they are number 1 any more - they were at 1 time.

Last year we went for Heiva in BB and in Papeete. What a spectacle. I would like to go again sometime. We had to leave early as we had asked a cab to come for us early based on the Heiva program but it was delayed.

Also find the new Gauguines not as good dancers as the old ones. In Raina's time everyone was really good and someone in Moorea told us that the selection was very rigorous and it was an honour to be a Gauguinne. Shall miss Hina when we go next - she has been on all but 1 cruise of ours.

Ah ................ Michael Phelps is #1 several times but they are all still considered swimming.

During Heiva there are several different categories hence there are several #1's though they are all Polynesian Dancers.

The troupe that dances at the Intercontinental is one of the very best, "Les Grands Ballets de Tahiti". They travel all over the world representing Tahiti. I've seen as many as 60 dancers on stage at the same time .........

Do a little internet search on this troupe ........

As far as cost one can do the dinner show, only sit in the bar with a drink or sit in the hotel foyer above for nothing ; )

To expand on this topic let me simply say I've seen over 50 shows while in the South Pacific. Some shows stand out but for different reasons. I remember the 'show' at Crushers bar on Aitutaki about 12 years ago. No lights, simple setting but it was incredible. The dancing was good but not great but you felt like you had been invited to someone's private party which made it so much fun.

The small kids that come on board the PG and dance will bring a smaile to your face and maybe a tear to your eye ...... wonderful time.

For the big production shows if you don't catch Heiva then the next best is the IC Tahiti or the Tiki Village show on Moorea. IC is a bit more 'polished and the food better, Tiki Village has so so food but the setting on the beach is very nice as the sun sets.

For anyone traveling to Tahiti in late July/early August (this would be for future years at this point), the Tahiti InterContinental replaces its usual dinner show at the pool stage with a "Mini Heiva" on the Grand Motu for a couple of weekends. We were on the July 28 sailing, which was the first weekend of the Mini Heiva.

We didn't know anything about this when we arrived for our pre-cruise stay (I don't even think the IC advertised it on their website), but we were so glad we had an opportunity to see it! Because of its location, you can't really watch the show for "free" (the area is fenced off), though you can hear the music clearly from the motu bungalows. (In fact, those of us in the motu bungalows were offered 50% the show/buffet price as IC's way of making amends for the "inconvenience" and noise. We would have gone regardless, but the discount was welcome!) The show included Polynesian strongmen lifting stones that were 120 kilos each, fire dancers, a wonderful group of chant singers, and a huge troupe of dancers. All of the performers were among the top winners of the recent Heiva, so we were really seeing the best of the best.

As for the dance shows on board the Paul Gauguin (this was for the 7-night Society Islands sailing), there was a morning "Children of Raiatea" show (I'm with Tiki - they definitely brought a smile to everyone in the audience!), the "Te Mau Mama No Faatoai To'a" show the first night on Moorea (the Moorea Mamas pulled me down to the base of the stage to learn how to make heis; I ended up being so busy threading flowers and leaves that I was only half-watching the show - but what I saw was impressive), and the "O Tahiti E" finale show our last night on board. The daily program still bills them as Polynesia's "#1 folkloric dance troupe" and "winner of the best professional dance troupe award". I don't know if they're still reigning champs, but either way, the dancing was phenomenal - not to be missed! (Do take the time to finish packing your suitcases earlier in the day; it's an evening show, and since suitcases will be collected between 9:30 and 11pm, you don't want to miss the show because you're still busy packing!) Of course, there were also numerous performances by Les Gauguines during the course of the cruise, and we always enjoyed watching their graceful dances. (Manu, the head Gauguine, was particularly talented.)

We didn't get to see the Tiki Village dinner show in Moorea, since it's held Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday at 8:45pm - and our overnight in Moorea was on a Thursday. But this would be a good option for anyone doing a pre- or post-cruise stay on Moorea.

No question Manu is super

And always love the Gauguinnes but shall still miss Hina's warm smile.

Do you know if Raina is back? Her sister is there as is Hina's sister.

Honestly, I didn't catch (or remember) all of their names. Wish I did! So I'm not sure about Raina.

It sounds like many of the staff and crew are on a 3 months on/3 months off rotation. I wonder if that's the case for Les Gauguines?

I'm going back earlier on this thread, but I want to ask Trend (or anyone else who has stayed there) if $149 including internet (and parking, though we don't need it) is a good price for the Marriott Renaissance, or if I would be better off to call them, or wait until later. I'm looking for a room for a Sunday night, Jan. 20.

The LAX room did not include internet and did not ask about parking as we are flying in and were more concerned about shuttles late at night from our T.O. flight. This was booked for Nov. 2012. Hope this helps the price with late shuttle and later check out beat most close to airport with full facilities. Want to have a good meal before heading to LAX for the late night flight.

Smalltowner,

We have booked the Hilton including breakfast for the friday night before our trip. The price was $150.00

We have stayed there before and its a decent hotel and they have a good breakfast that opens early. The latter is important as we usually wake up really early due to the time difference.

As of about 18 months ago the LAX Hilton was going through rehab work. The 'Tower' rooms seem to be the best bet as they come with buffet breakfast for only a tad more plus drinks/snacks in the evening in a private area. The rooms are typically better than just the standard ones.

Archived