What is your opinion about a "girls' trip" vs a couple's trip?

mimito4

A friend and I are thinking about a SeaDream adventure the first part of December. Since we are all in southwest FL at that time, we would just drive to Miami and depart, making it a bit less expensive and easier.

Our husbands have put their feet down (as much as they are capable) saying they refuse to go on another Caribbean vacation, regardless of cruise line or location (we've done plenty--we're kinda old). They would just as soon stay put and play golf in SW Florida.

Seriously, my question is this: would we have more fun and not stick out as "women of a certain age, but fun" going on a mainstream line (larger) and not SeaDream? When we were on SeaDream last December, there were mostly couples (partners and marrieds).

PS My friend has never been on SeaDream and is itching to try. What say?

Are you kidding? Why think twice? Go SD. Who cares what the majority is? Almost every trip we have taken has had sisters or friends running away from home. I did 4 crossings solo and had a great time.

If I didn't have to pay a single supplement I'd do it again especially before the holidays start when you aren't likely to encounter children

FT

:::snip:::: Seriously, my question is this: would we have more fun and not stick out as "women of a certain age, but fun" going on a mainstream line (larger) and not SeaDream What say?

Are these women over the age of 12? If so, I say go for it! ;)

Unless too much alcohol is involved, I doubt any passengers would have to witness a group of women "of a certain age" snorkeling around in the jacuzzi or doing canonballs in the pool! :D (Ducking from Host Dan).

Absolutely go! Why should you have to suffer one of those mass market lines? The beginning of December is a wonderful time to sail SD - we've done it a couple of times, and are doing SD I the cruise right before the Christmas cruise this year. There has never been a child on the cruises we've taken at that time, and there has always been a wonderful mix of passengers - couples, singles and groups. Enjoy.

Hi T.

We have met lots of gay male couples on board and --Wait! not saying anything here-- just that all "couples" on board are not necessarily "boy/girl", so an all girl group should not be out of the norm. We still keep in touch with some of our gay travel buddies.:D I think your girls out cruise will be a hoot for all concerned. :D

Thanks all for your enthusiastic responses. My concern is not if we will stand out (no prob), but rather, will WE have fun? I've gone on many girl cruises, and we always had a blast, but they've always been larger cruise lines with more to do, and more people. I have a good time on any cruise, and I've cruised many lines--luxury, premium and even the commoners like Carnival. Never met a cruise I didn't like, just like some more than others.

Jim, you are absolutely correct about the gay male couples on SD. I love that SD is very gay friendly (quite frankly, I think most cruise lines are these days).

When my husband and I cruised on SD last December, we met and had a blast with two gay couples (waving to them in case they're reading this). That was why I used the term in my opening question - "partners and marrieds". I guess my way of trying to be politically correct.

The truth is that happily married women (like my girlfriend and I) love meeting and hanging with gay men in general. They're non threatening and we just get to have fun without worrying about how our fun/friendship is taken. I've always had gay friends and in fact there is an old school slang expression for my "type" (straight woman who has male gay friends) but won't use here. :D :p

I don't see why you wouldn't have fun. We generally sit with others in the dining room, and we've had lots of great dinners with both couples, singles, and friends traveling together. And while there isn't a huge amount of late night entertainment, there is the piano bar, which can be a blast, and the TOY bar. In the daytime you would be relaxing on deck or out and about on an island - no different than if you were with your husband, except perhaps a bit more time spent shopping (not a bad thing IMO).

Thanks all for your enthusiastic responses. My concern is not if we will stand out (no prob), but rather, will WE have fun? I've gone on many girl cruises, and we always had a blast, but they've always been larger cruise lines with more to do, and more people. I have a good time on any cruise, and I've cruised many lines--luxury, premium and even the commoners like Carnival. Never met a cruise I didn't like, just like some more than others.

Jim, you are absolutely correct about the gay male couples on SD. I love that SD is very gay friendly (quite frankly, I think most cruise lines are these days).

When my husband and I cruised on SD last December, we met and had a blast with two gay couples (waving to them in case they're reading this). That was why I used the term in my opening question - "partners and marrieds". I guess my way of trying to be politically correct.

The truth is that happily married women (like my girlfriend and I) love meeting and hanging with gay men in general. They're non threatening and we just get to have fun without worrying about how our fun/friendship is taken. I've always had gay friends and in fact there is an old school slang expression for my "type" (straight woman who has male gay friends) but won't use here. :D :p

Yep, would rather be on SD full of gay couples. They rarely bring little kids with them. Usually are a lot of fun.:D

no different than if you were with your husband, except perhaps a bit more time spent shopping (not a bad thing IMO).

Zimmy's DH here. This is why I'd never let her go on a cruise without me. Just kidding, dear. There are other reasons, as well.

Seriously, I can't imagine why two women would not have a great time together on SD. There is no dance floor, so couple activities are pretty much limited to the cabins. It is a very gender-neutral vacation. So go and enjoy. You might even find that straight men would talk to you, especially when their wives are off shopping. LOL

Nov 25 will be the third SD I will take with my mom! She is a young mom and we have fun doing our SD girl's trip!! My DH would rather stay home with his dog and hold the fort down! He's been on SD twice, so he knows the venue and sends me with his blessing. My mom and I always meet and hang with fun people. We love sitting at the TOY talking "big" she with her martinis, me with my vino! Met a few women traveling alone, as well, and the staff takes great care of them. On last year's crossing there were many groups of girls (women) and one group of older gents who made us laugh until it hurt!! Plus lots of fun things to do in the Caribbean as I'm sure you know! My mom stays on board (except in St. Barth) and I'm off to the beach bars most days for Painkillers, WooWoo's, and various and assorted Rum! Heehee! Cannot wait for SeaDream!

Thanks all for your enthusiastic responses. My concern is not if we will stand out (no prob), but rather, will WE have fun? I've gone on many girl cruises, and we always had a blast, but they've always been larger cruise lines with more to do, and more people. p

I think this is what it really comes down to.... What do your FRIENDS like/expect on a "girls' cruise"?

If they are the 'party until dawn' types or want a lot of different options entertainment-wise at night, then SD might not be their cup of tea.

If they would have fun at the TOY or piano bar after a fabulous meal and enjoy meeting new people then SD would be perfect.

The advantage you have is you know SD's crew will bend over backwards to ensure you all have a great time, and spa treatments and shore excursions can fill the bill during the daytime. Really depends how "active" you girls want to be at night. Wait..... Well, hopefully, you know what I mean! :eek: :D

Anyway, SD would be right up there as one of MY top choices for a girls' getaway cruise!

Again, thanks for your input. I'd be proud to cruise with any and all of you some time. Of all the cruise boards here at CC, there is no doubt that this SeaDream bunch is the best--honest, friendly, helpful. . .and fun as all get out!

I think this is what it really comes down to.... What do your FRIENDS like/expect on a "girls' cruise"?

If they are the 'party until dawn' types or want a lot of different options entertainment-wise at night, then SD might not be their cup of tea.

Therein lies the question, CDreamer. I KNOW that I love the SeaDream life, but the friend (and as of today, possibly friends, as in plural) who is interested has only had the experience of larger, very active cruise lines. It's not that she, or I, are stay-up-till-dawn revelers (ha, the thought of that is funny to me these days), it's just that I know she loves to be active ----dance and have fun, yada, yada.

That said, it's clear she also loves luxury. An example--when her daughter came to SW Florida for a visit at the end of the season, they went to Ritz Carlton to stay overnight and have spa services, even though they, like us, live close by there and can get spa type services at any number of places, including our own club.

Bottom line. . .I worry that she might take my advice about SD and then be bored to tears. I know what I would prefer, but I also know what her experience has been when it comes to cruising. . .

The competition I am considering is Celebrity--their newest ship. Yes, it's big, but there are a ton of things to do. One thing I do like about Celebrity is that you can buy a drink package which "upgrades" your experience and makes you feel like you're on an all inclusive. And for consideration, even if we book a small suite (the Sky suite) and a drink package, the price is less than SeaDream.

Still X is no SeaDream in my book. Sigh. Such problems.

Regardless, thanks for helping me think out loud.

...or I would be happy to report back to you.

For me, it's no question. If I were making the decision, it would be on SD.

BUT, as it is friends, there are three of us, so we are off on a new Celebrity ship.

I've been grousing privately to DH a bit as the trip is nearing the horizon and we start to plan. I hate the "nickel and diming." However, as DH points out, even with my intention of eating every night in a surcharge specialty restaurant and with renting a cabana on deck for a little more privacy and space my tariff is likely to come in lower.

AND, as you pointed out, the fun is there to be had when you are with friends.

Happy travels!

• 2 weeks later...
...or I would be happy to report back to you.

For me, it's no question. If I were making the decision, it would be on SD.

BUT, as it is friends, there are three of us, so we are off on a new Celebrity ship.

I've been grousing privately to DH a bit as the trip is nearing the horizon and we start to plan. I hate the "nickel and diming." However, as DH points out, even with my intention of eating every night in a surcharge specialty restaurant and with renting a cabana on deck for a little more privacy and space my tariff is likely to come in lower.

AND, as you pointed out, the fun is there to be had when you are with friends.

Happy travels!

This is my first time to post on this board. I have been lurking as we ponder booking our first SD cruise in 2013.

I just wanted to mention that besides buying the drink package on Celebrity, you might also book ( or switch to) an AquaSuite to further "luxe it up". It comes with its own free specialty restaurant (Blu) which is great. ( also nicer bathroom amenities and shower) We are normally not "big ship" cruisers either, but we had a really great time on our two Celebrity cruises in AquaSuites both times.

Patty

I'm actually a big fan of Celebrity and think their various drink packages are perfect for upgrading one's experience, so nice to see others think that as well. I can only imagine if you are able to upgrade to a suite with more room, what that would do for the luxe factor.

I did cruise once with my daughter in Aqua class (not a suite), and we were not wild about Blu. At the time, the "rule" was if you were assigned to Blu that's where you had to eat, other than the specialty restaurants. We did go to the MDR with some people we had befriended a couple of nights, but again we were told we couldn't do it. After charm and some hassle, we got in. I understand they have changed that dumb rule since then.

We did love the aqua spa cafe, but then that is open to all.

My husband and I are booked for the inaugural Reflection transatlantic crossing in November. We booked one of the hump larger 1A categories mid-ship (larger verandas due to design), making it one of those "can't afford to stay home" adventures.

Will be considering a girl's trip in the winter after this one. Still thinking my friend would prefer Celebrity, although SD is tempting.

Just do it! One of the great things about SeaDream is that the crew & guests make every newbie feel welcome. :)

I've "picked up" a great contingent of lifelong friends because of SeaDream :D:D:D:D

I repeat just do it! I predict it will become a regular GirlsGetAway!!!

• 4 months later...

Archived