Rosetta Stone

HappyTvlr

I would love to hear about experiences with Rosetta Stone onboard and off the ship as well. I saw it advertised on my last cruise (my first), and I have a 15 day cruise coming up and thought it might be fun. I am hoping to do the Spanish course. I took French in high school and uni, but it never stuck. I've heard good things in general about RS, but would love to know more and how it works onboard. Thanks!

I have used Rosetta Stone (Latin American Spanish) off the ship before a land trip to Ecuador. (Galapagos with Celebrity is next! :D).

I think you'll find you need to devote a significant amount of time to Rosetta Stone (RS) if you really want to learn a language. There are 4 ways within RS to learn, and it's best to use more than one if you really want it to "stick". Just listening and answering the reviews is OK, but you really need to use a microphone and speak so the program can evaluate you, listen to conversations, conjugate verbs, etc.

Perhaps the ship's language classes are a bit different in that they are just providing you the basics so you can get by as a tourist.

I find that after using RS for about 3 months (every weekend for about 8 hours and about 3 evenings each week for 2 hours), I'm not fluent. But, I can understand 80% of a conversation and can usually respond somewhat intelligently or ask what the meaning of something is or how do you say something in Spanish.

Also, I had 4 years of Spanish in High School, so that may have helped. Although that was 30 years ago! :eek:

I personally love Rosetta Stone, but I think that it is really meant for those who want to completely learn the language over a period of time. What I mean is that it is not very useful for phrases you need to get by while traveling for pleasure. As a matter of fact, I wish they would make a travelers' companion version. I usually like to memorize these types of phrases - directions, I would like XXXXX, please, thank you, excuse me, your welcome, how much, phrases useful at a hotel or at train stations, etc.

I also used it after taking at least 3 years of French so I understood what they were trying to teach because I already understood the grammar. I don't know if I would have been so successful starting from scratch.

I have used Rosetta Stone (Latin American Spanish) off the ship before a land trip to Ecuador. (Galapagos with Celebrity is next! :D).

Perhaps the ship's language classes are a bit different in that they are just providing you the basics so you can get by as a tourist.

I find that after using RS for about 3 months (every weekend for about 8 hours and about 3 evenings each week for 2 hours), I'm not fluent. But, I can understand 80% of a conversation and can usually respond somewhat intelligently or ask what the meaning of something is or how do you say something in Spanish.

I will tell you from someone who speaks 3 languages and learning a 4th, a computer software will not make anyone fluent. In my experience, the only way to become fluent is to be placed in an environment where the language dominates the entire conversation. This means being around people who can teach you slang, colloquials, formality, etc. and being able to understand the messages conveyed. This is how I learned English and now, I speak it better than my primary. Also, it takes about 1 to 2 years of continuous language construction (reading, writing and speaking) in order to be considered fluent.

I agree with you that RS on ships is there to provide the basics for tourism. It can certainly be a fun experience. But I also think the ships will try to sell you the software at the end of the course.

I tried Rosetta Stone once (my generous brother sent me the Mandarin version before I traveled to China) and I have to say, I found that its approach was not for me. The entire premise -- that you can learn a language by looking at pictures while you try to figure out what people are saying, with no use of your own language to help you or speed things along -- may work if you are an infant (indeed, they say that's the basis of their program), but I did not find it terribly useful. After a very frustrating hour or so, I could say one word -- "water" -- in Mandarin.

Now, perhaps the difficulty was because I had no context for Mandarin, and a "Romance" language would have been easier. But since I can already communicate in English, I personally do better when English is used to help me learn a foreign language. YMMV.

I agree with Turtles06's assessment of RS. RS teaches you vocab in isolation. Good for practicing pronunciation of individual words, but that's it. I tried the Italian for a while.

I am looking into the Fluenz line of language software. They have several sample lessons available in various languages. I tried the Italian sample lesson. Bingo! I retained more of that one sample lesson than I did from several days with RS. Fluenz teaches a language in the context of useful situations. http://www.fluenz.com/

Amazon.com is having a sale on both RS and Fluenz software.

Thanks everyone. I agree on so many points made here. As I said, I took French for several years but only retained it long enough to pass the test. I also agree that being amongst native speakers is best, but it is not likely I will not have that opportunity. I have lived outside the states for 10 years but in English speaking countries. I do travel a lot, and I find it interesting that I am able to easily pick up words and phrases. One time in Italy I had a “conversation” with a non English speaking server and my husband asked what I was on about since I don’t speak Italian. I said I ordered a cheese plate. To be honest, we were both a little shocked when one turned up! Sorry, I digress. On our last cruise RS was offered for $20 for the entire 11 night cruise. As it was our first traditional cruise (our actual first was Celebrity to Galapagos which is very different because you are busy ALL DAY) there were many distractions and there few sea days, but this next cruise has more sea days. I am happy to put out $20 to sample the software. As for the sales pitch at the end, I have no problem saying no but will be happy to say yes if I enjoyed the sample and the price is right. Since I know the cost of the software, there is no chance they will be able to jerk me around with the price. One last point off topic to AlaskaGolden, Galapagos was unbelievable! Add on Machu Picchu if you have not already been there. Celebrity blew us away with 5 star “Celebrity” treatment.

Archived