Staggered boarding

cruiselvr1

Has Princess enforced Staggered Boarding, in San Francisco?:rolleyes:

They did it once to me last March on a cruise ...and what a nightmare. My next cruise I had booked was actually after final payment and would have canceled it if it was refundable. This was still semi-staggered boarding ....just out of control so they let everyone board....but it was better than in March.

I canceled my Sept cruise with them as I was given no satisfaction after complaining about my 6 hour delayed boarding in SF on that March cruise. It was more of a 'better luck next time' attitude I got back from them. Hopefully, they have learned that is not the way to treat paying customers and discontinued that nonsense.

They did it once to me last March on a cruise ...and what a nightmare. My next cruise I had booked was actually after final payment and would have canceled it if it was refundable. This was still semi-staggered boarding ....just out of control so they let everyone board....but it was better than in March.

I canceled my Sept cruise with them as I was given no satisfaction after complaining about my 6 hour delayed boarding in SF on that March cruise. It was more of a 'better luck next time' attitude I got back from them. Hopefully, they have learned that is not the way to treat paying customers and discontinued that nonsense.

I just hope that Princess is listening loud and clear!!!

john

If you're referring to the March 19th cruise, that was out of Princess' hands. I disembarked the Star that day and it was total chaos caused by US Immigration and/or Customs. There was little to nothing Princess could do. I had one of the first disembarkation times and wound up standing on a stairway to disembark for a couple of hours and missed my flight, as did many others. If this is the cruise, then your complaint should be directed at US Immigration and/or Customs. Not sure which was directly responsible since I was on a staircase most of the time.

My question is actually regarded to that cruise, and if Princess has changed it.

I found out about the staggered boarding several months ago for my September cruise out of Seattle. I found it on my cruise personalizer, then checked it a month ago and it was gone, now it is back again... I don't know what to do?

The boarding times are different now then they were several months ago when I first saw it. Now it is later for my deck, which doesn't please us much. This is what it says as of right now...

CRUISE CHECK-IN INFORMATION

Embarkation for your cruise is from 12:00 pm until 3:00pm. As many of our

guests are enthusiastic to join the ship, you may experience delays and longer

lines when trying to board before your scheduled time. For those passengers

with flexibility, the closer you arrive to your scheduled time the shorter

your wait is likely to be. All those who arrive by 3:00 pm will be accommodated

and will not miss the ship. Passengers with a Preferred Boarding Pass, Transfer

and/or part of a group may check-in anytime during embarkation. Once onboard

enjoy a meal at the Horizon Court, which remains open throughout the day to

serve you. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

12:00 pm - Caribe & Lido Decks/Cabins C101-C753, L201-L312

12:30 pm - Fiesta & Sun Decks/Cabins F301-F315, S701-S714

1:30 pm - Baja & Plaza Decks/Cabins D201-B751, P201-P337

2:00 pm - Aloha & Emerald Decks/Cabins A201-A749, E101-E733

2:30 pm - Dolphin Deck/Cabins D103-D737

It is worded as if this is a guidline, and you can board whenever you get there, but If we show up and are told we have to wait we'll be pretty frustrated. Has anyone boarded in Seattle recently?

Thanks!

If you're referring to the March 19th cruise, that was out of Princess' hands. I disembarked the Star that day and it was total chaos caused by US Immigration and/or Customs. There was little to nothing Princess could do. I had one of the first disembarkation times and wound up standing on a stairway to disembark for a couple of hours and missed my flight, as did many others. If this is the cruise, then your complaint should be directed at US Immigration and/or Customs. Not sure which was directly responsible since I was on a staircase most of the time.

Pam,

I was on the March 19th cruise, and while the mess with US Immigration and Customs contributed to the problems, it wasn't the only delay. Staggered boarding also was only a contributing factor.

• Immigration/Customs - a full check for both passengers and crew
  • US Coast Guard safety inspection
  • Staggered boarding - absolute bedlam outside the pier on the sidewalk with no one in control and seemingly no one able to provide information or assistance to boarding passengers
  • The Oriana was also in port and embarking passengers
  • An insufficient number of xray machines working to screen passengers - there was a huge backup here. Only 2 machines working when we got through, and they were trying to get a third machine up and running. This was probably a 45 minute delay for us and we were among the first aboard. I'm sure the delay only got worse as the afternoon wore on.
  • A complete reprovisioning of the ship's stores. The longshoremen seemed to be "working to the rules" and this probably took the longest time. I heard a union official threaten to shut the pier down if he saw violations of their contract.
  • A medical disembarkation

As it has been noted in previous threads, this really was a perfect storm of incidents where a bunch of smaller issues blew up into a gigantic mess. Captain McBain kept the ship informed of the progress (or lack thereof) and we finally pulled away from the pier around 9:30pm - well into the second seating in the traditional dining room.

This is what it says as of right now...

Which seems reasonable. I'd guess that the vast majority of cruisers don't know or care about booking the Captain's Table or having lunch in the MDR. Stating it as "For you own good..." seems the best way of doing it. And I'm assuming that it leaves those of us with priority boarding untouched.

Which seems reasonable. I'd guess that the vast majority of cruisers don't know or care about booking the Captain's Table or having lunch in the MDR. Stating it as "For you own good..." seems the best way of doing it. And I'm assuming that it leaves those of us with priority boarding untouched.

Which, according to every report in the last 3 months, is how it was handled. Presenting it as a recommendation means that some passengers will follow the suggested times and some will not. The fact that some do, makes for smoother boarding for everyone.

Which was the intention of Princess in the first place. 2000-3000 passengers simply cannot all board at the same time and standing in long lines is not all that much fun.

The whole Staggered Boarding thing went through some initial growing pains (like most new programs) resulting in an outpouring of angry remarks, fear and loathing. Fortunately two things have happened since. First, the program became a recommendation instead of a mandate, second, it has proved valuable in reducing long lines.

Oh yes, Priority boarding is still in effect.

In the past, our initial staggered boarding time was about 10:30 am or 11:00 am which was great. Now it is noon and I bet everyone will show up about the same time. That presents challenges for people traveling together who are on different decks.

Does anyone know how this is working- past passengers on the Golden?

In the past, our initial staggered boarding time was about 10:30 am or 11:00 am which was great. Now it is noon and I bet everyone will show up about the same time. That presents challenges for people traveling together who are on different decks.

The difference between a recommendation and a mandate is enforcement. Since they are not enforcing and only recommending, everyone can board together whenever they get there.

All reports are that there are no problems and the recommendation is working,.

I was given to understand last May, that one family on different decks could board together.

However, with so much confusion in the past, as it seemed that no one knew how it should be handled.

john

Archived