1st Time Cruiser Oasis of the Seas Review

hbr777

Seriously! Reviews are always a bit subjective, but that is why you have to read more than one to get an overall feel for things. The OP even said she is a 1st timer and has nothing to compare it to. If you want to talk about the pool decks being spacious and not crowded, please start your own review.

Moving right along ..... :rolleyes:

Let's talk about the cabin!

While I would have liked to have an oceanfront balcony, I wasn't sure how I would handle looking at the ocean in motion vis a vis vertigo. The first time I really saw the ocean in motion it really threw me. I was on the jogging track where I entered from the gym. For while you don't really see the ocean since it is blocked from view and then BAM! There is the ocean and you are only a little bit above it, and you are jogging against it. It was amazing. But, it was also a little freaky. I had the same sensation standing at the aft of the ship on the jogging trail; it took me a while to build up a little courage because, well, it scared me. And no, those aren't bad bra straps in the photo - it is a bathing suit :)

145c7296.jpg

So given my fear of the motion, the Central Park cabin was perfect for us. I know some people complain about the long walk from the midship cabins to elevators, but if you are able bodied, it is not bad at all - maybe two minutes, max.

Here's a view of CP from the elevator:

45b28d10.jpg

We actually took the stairs a lot, as the elevators are very crowded.

The most crowded I saw was after the safety drill. Ours took place in the skating rink. And then we wanted to get up to the pool deck for sail away. It took awhile. Other times, the elevators were crowded but they are quick.

The whole week I never mastered which set of elevators to use - it was always a mystery of where I was going to pop out. I wish I had paid more attention as I think I could have saved myself some walking time.

The elevators are well-marked, so you know where to go:

16907e90.jpg

Yes, it was on the menu - it was "below the fold" of the photo, so to speak. I think they several different types, with asparagus and so forth. It was delicious.

I guess the menu on the Oasis for breakfast must be different than that on the Liberty. I was disappointed because previous cruises with NCL and Carnival both offered several types and the Liberty offered none. I am looking forward to my upcoming Oasis cruise even more now. Thanks for the good news.

Can we please move on? Thank you. There is so much more to talk about.
Certainly!

Seriously! Reviews are always a bit subjective, but that is why you have to read more than one to get an overall feel for things. The OP even said she is a 1st timer and has nothing to compare it to. If you want to talk about the pool decks being spacious and not crowded, please start your own review.
Seriously, when one post a review do you think that others are not entitled to share a different opinion? When I see something that was clearly exaggerated and *I* was on the same cruise, you bet I will share my perspective on it. I would hate to have other and new cruisers get the wrong impression about the Oasis.

Now, yes....let"s talk about the greatest ship on earth!;)

We had a cabin on Deck 11 smack dab midship. It was an excellent choice for us. Here are some views from the cabin:

I think I have read every review on the Oasis, and yours is the first I can remember having any pictures taken from a CP cabin. Nice shot.

As for that little bar, we had a couple of drinks there, waiting for the rising tide bar to show up. Also used those little tables in the afternoon for eating some beef sandwiches.

Certainly!

Seriously, when one post a review do you think that others are not entitled to share a different opinion? When I see something that was clearly exaggerated and *I* was on the same cruise, you bet I will share my perspective on it. I would hate to have other and new cruisers get the wrong impression about the Oasis.

Please do not imply that I am giving people the "wrong impression" - it is my impression, and my review, and I will say what I experienced. Feel free to write your own review. Just not on my thread.

I think I have read every review on the Oasis, and yours is the first I can remember having any pictures taken from a CP cabin. Nice shot.

As for that little bar, we had a couple of drinks there, waiting for the rising tide bar to show up. Also used those little tables in the afternoon for eating some beef sandwiches.

Thank you! I have some additional snapshots I can post. The view was amazing. I think it is the prettiest area on the ship.

Thank you! I have some additional snapshots I can post. The view was amazing. I think it is the prettiest area on the ship.

CP was great, maybe our favorite place on the ship.

Nothing like it anywhere at sea.

Please do not imply that I am giving people the "wrong impression" - it is my impression, and my review, and I will say what I experienced. Feel free to write your own review. Just not on my thread.

Tried to stay away from this but have to comment. If I see something that I have a different opinion on in someone's review I will usually comment on it if it hasn't already been. Not that the OPs opinion is wrong but readers of the review need to know that there are other opinions. Having it all in one place let's readers see both sides and make their own decisions on their experiences and likes/dislikes.

If you don't want people to put their opinions, do a review in the review section, not a post here. Sorry if that sounds insenstive, not meant to be but not sure how to say it a different way.

Personally I agree with Johneeo but had tried to stay out of it. Allure, when we sailed in June on a sold out ship with lots of families, was the least crowded to us of the ships we have been on.

BTW, enjoying your review, thanks for taking the time to do it, and definitely enjoying the pictures. They bring back great memories for me.

Sigh....You did admit to not being very clear in your post. I'm trying to offer a fair balanced opinion to the best of my ability. I see that you don't like it but I am entitled to it.....on your thread on any other.

Now......you did ask....let's move on:rolleyes:

Tried to stay away from this but have to comment. If I see something that I have a different opinion on in someone's review I will usually comment on it if it hasn't already been. Not that the OPs opinion is wrong but readers of the review need to know that there are other opinions. Having it all in one place let's readers see both sides and make their own decisions on their experiences and likes/dislikes.

If you don't want people to put their opinions, do a review in the review section, not a post here. Sorry if that sounds insenstive, not meant to be but not sure how to say it a different way.

Exactly!

Certainly!

There is a difference between sharing your opinion and hijacking the thread and basically telling the OP that she's wrong...how can an opinion be wrong?

Personally I agree with Johneeo but had tried to stay out of it. Allure, when we sailed in June on a sold out ship with lots of families, was the least crowded to us of the ships we have been on.

BTW, enjoying your review, thanks for taking the time to do it, and definitely enjoying the pictures. They bring back great memories for me.

I have never cruised before. I am writing this from a first-time cruiser perspective. I understand your perspective - that this was the least crowded ship you have cruised on - but honestly, that would not matter to a first time cruiser, who has no basis of comparison. And who might actually care about my perspective as a first time cruiser.

I agree all opinions are welcome, but really, this is starting to get old, the hammering on points from which we have already discussed and moved on.

I am glad you are enjoying the review!

Moving along from the chairs, crowds and other controversial subjects, you know what I really loved? (No, Heidi, what?)28dba896.jpg

No, not ketchup. Although we can argue about ketchup, whether Hunt's or Heinz is better (Heinz is thicker), if you wish.

I loved being able to dine while looking out the window, with the ocean as the backdrop. I loved waking up in the morning, going up to Deck 16, stepping off the elevator and BAM! Hey, we're in Jamaica and it looks really pretty! I understand from that aspect how cruising can be really addictive.

I would have liked to have seen that vista more often on Oasis. It is almost as if the design of the ship is turned inward rather than toward the sea. They clearly made the ship the main attraction. It felt like the ports were merely asides.

What else I loved:

• Central Park
  • Chops Grill
  • All of the shows - the quality is amazing
  • The ease of getting on and off the ship
  • The quality of the drinks
  • The cabins
  • Service in general

I'll save what didn't float my boat for later so that everyone can reload.

I haven't been on Cruise Critic in a long time, since I have no plans to cruise in the near future, but after your comments on TripAdvisor I was curious to read your full review (which I think is very balanced) and see the accompanying photos (both the good and the... cautionary). ;)

It's great that overall you were able to appreciate many aspects of this type of vacation and had a fun time with your family. :)

We have friends who have cruised on Oasis three times and have a fourth sailing planned for Christmas. They absolutely love it and it's their favourite way to vacation.

We've only cruised twice, both times with Celebrity, and while we did enjoy many aspects of those vacations, the crowding around the pools and during meal times was definitely unappealing to us as well. We would only consider cruising again on a smaller ship or on a larger one with a dedicated adults-only pool allocated for the use of guests in specific cabins.

We would only consider cruising again on a smaller ship or on a larger one with a dedicated adults-only pool allocated for the use of guests in specific cabins.

Oasis has the solarium. It is a really nice space. It just was too high up on the ship and I got a bit queasy. It would be nice to have an actual pool in there, and more open air, but it is a really nice space for adults.

There is a difference between sharing your opinion and hijacking the thread and basically telling the OP that she's wrong...how can an opinion be wrong?

Since your post is asking me a question….I will answer it.

First when someone shares a different opinion, that is hardly hijacking a thread. If OP feels the need to reply to everyone who is offering a different viewpoint than theirs, well that is when a ping pong match is usually started…..that is not hijacking…..that is a debate.

I never said the OP opinion was wrong. I strongly suggest you re-read the entire thread. You will then see that the one post that I commented that I “disagreed” with one of her statements, the OP basically replied that my opinion was wrong and hers is a fact. So pehaps, you should direct that question over to the OP.

I have been reading reviews about the Oasis since she sailed as I was just amazed with her design through all the wonderful pictures of her shared on here. With that said, I have noticed that many are quite surprised on how well she accommodates the passenger load from embarkation, throughout the venues and all public spaces....with one exception...the Windjammer. There are countless threads on here indicated such that. Now that I have experienced the Oasis, I agree with the overall majority except not much to say about the Windjammer since I really was not there often enough.

Many areas on the Oasis are far from being insanely crowded. To those who have a cruise booked on her...I'm jealous and to those who don't....you should consider it at least once. It's an unforgettable experience.;)

Archived