1st Time Cruiser Oasis of the Seas Review

hbr777

Oasis has the solarium. It is a really nice space. It just was too high up on the ship and I got a bit queasy. It would be nice to have an actual pool in there, and more open air, but it is a really nice space for adults.
The solarium does have a pool....if you want to call it that.....the pool is VERY small....actually it looks more like a hottub!:eek::D

Thank you for doing this. DW & I will also be first time cruisers on Oasis in June. I've been reading all the reviews, and the only thing I don't like about yours...

I wanted to do it (first timer review of Oasis)! :D

Seriously, you're doing a great job showing things that haven't been shown before (at least I haven't seen them, even if I haven't read every review of Oasis).

Keep it going!

Let's talk about the cabin!

While I would have liked to have an oceanfront balcony, I wasn't sure how I would handle looking at the ocean in motion vis a vis vertigo. The first time I really saw the ocean in motion it really threw me. I was on the jogging track where I entered from the gym. For while you don't really see the ocean since it is blocked from view and then BAM! There is the ocean and you are only a little bit above it, and you are jogging against it. It was amazing. But, it was also a little freaky. I had the same sensation standing at the aft of the ship on the jogging trail; it took me a while to build up a little courage because, well, it scared me. And no, those aren't bad bra straps in the photo - it is a bathing suit :)

145c7296.jpg

hbr777...what a great photo from your perspective. I'll be on the Oasis on 9/22, and your photos give me a lot to anticipate!

Thanks for your review! I've been considering suggesting Oasis to some friends that have never cruised before, but now I'm definitely rethinking that. Knowing their style they might be too overwhelmed.

I however, have some cruising experience, and can't wait to get on it one of these days! (But definitely not in high season!)

Thank you for doing this. DW & I will also be first time cruisers on Oasis in June. I've been reading all the reviews, and the only thing I don't like about yours...

I wanted to do it (first timer review of Oasis)! :D

Seriously, you're doing a great job showing things that haven't been shown before (at least I haven't seen them, even if I haven't read every review of Oasis).

Keep it going!

Thanks, and you should still write your review, since you will have your own experience, like different things, dislike different things, etc...

I had been to Jamaica a couple of times - like 30 years ago. We were clueless about what to do but I knew I didn't 1) want to spend a fortune on an RCL excursion; 2) stay on the ship. So, we ended up booking transport for $20 per person through Jaital round trip from Falmouth to Montego Bay. 30 minutes after we docked, we found the Jaital driver. The four of us along with another couple from Oasis (who had booked separately) went to Mo Bay. It is around a 20 minute ride, very easy. We were dropped at Doctor's Cave Beach and agreed upon a pick up time and place (4 pm, in front of Margaritaville). Remember: stay on ship time and not Jamaica time!

It is $6 per person entrance to Doctor's Cave Beach, and $6 for an umbrella and $6 for a chair (a wooden/canvas deck chair). In hindsight, we didn't really need the umbrellas because there are shaded areas in the back portion of the beach. Clean bathrooms, showers, a deck area for food/drink, and beach service.

I am a jaded, nit picky beach person. This was one of the most beautiful beaches in terms of the water - that I have EVER seen.

a99613f3.jpg

0abb762e.jpg

Thank you so much for your comprehensive review! I never heard of Doctor's Cave Beach before, and after reading your review I think that I am going to go there during our stop in Jamaica in October. My original plan was just to visit the shops at the port then spend the day on the ship, but I love a beautiful beach and this one looks so pretty in your pics.

I just have a couple questions. Was it crowded there? Were there a lot of vendors there, and were they aggressive or pushy? I've been to Jamaica a few times before (Ochos Rios area) and never had a problem, but I've read enough stories about people being harassed that it makes me more cautious about where I go when I'm on the island.

Thank you so much for your comprehensive review! I never heard of Doctor's Cave Beach before, and after reading your review I think that I am going to go there during our stop in Jamaica in October. My original plan was just to visit the shops at the port then spend the day on the ship, but I love a beautiful beach and this one looks so pretty in your pics.

I just have a couple questions. Was it crowded there? Were there a lot of vendors there, and were they aggressive or pushy? I've been to Jamaica a few times before (Ochos Rios area) and never had a problem, but I've read enough stories about people being harassed that it makes me more cautious about where I go when I'm on the island.

Hi Debbie!

It was not crowded. Not at all. Vendors? I think we were asked if we wanted hair braids. And out on the street we were asked once if we wanted weed. We had heard so much about people being approached being asked to buy ganja that we all made a guess - how may times were we asked? Out of 4 people, we were asked once. I had guessed 30 times :(

This is a private beach club so I felt it was removed from the general throng of people. And no other cruise ship people.

We didn't eat there, so I don't know anything about the quality of the food. Look in the background of the photo below - the umbrellas are the deck where food is served. Drinks are offered also on the beach.

The water was amazingly crystal clear, calm, and beautiful.

The beach is in the city, but once you are off the street, you would never know it.

We spent a couple of hours on the beach and then walked down to Margaritaville, which has lounge chairs and decks for sunning, in addition to the water toys.

Here's a view of the beach from the water:

21aefc57.jpg

Just as a warning for any future cruisers... avoid the solarium at all costs. Never go in there. It is full of evil and the pool is tiny and you will become a zombie if you even walk through it. You should never go in there.

I will go in there for the greater good of the ship and defend it from whatever monsters lurk there. No need to volunteer to help me. I will man-up and do it alone. Well, my wife will help, but seriously, never go in there. It's evil. Leave it to us to clean up.

;)

Just as a warning for any future cruisers... avoid the solarium at all costs. Never go in there. It is full of evil and the pool is tiny and you will become a zombie if you even walk through it. You should never go in there.

I will go in there for the greater good of the ship and defend it from whatever monsters lurk there. No need to volunteer to help me. I will man-up and do it alone. Well, my wife will help, but seriously, never go in there. It's evil. Leave it to us to clean up.

;)

Good job! I think that might work....

I think the Solarium would be amazing in the spring, fall or winter. It would be THE place to be!

The bar in there is a really pretty area.

Back on the ship: it is really cool, how these video screens help you navigate this behemoth of a boat.

3f3c7a23.jpg

See how it is all in the green? That means that occupancy is low. Unfortunately, every morning for breakfast in the Windjammer, it was jammed. They play an announcement over and over advising you to enjoy the Windjammer and then LEAVE. See this photo?

f3c48647.jpg

The people standing (except for the waiter) are hovering over people's tables to snag them. So, breakfast was a series of announcements to hurry up and GO, and people waiting for your table. Three mornings we asked strangers to share a table. We met a nice family from Colombia that way.

I'd suggest going elsewhere for breakfast.

I looked at the time stamp on my photo: it was the first sea day, 9 am. The other days (when we weren't as tired as we were from the first day) we ate earlier, usually around 8 am if no gym or 8:30 if we had gone to the gym. Everyday was very crowded in the Windjammer.

I guess early is the way to do it. But I don't want to stress over my breakfast being stressful. I thought the WJ was small for the number of people it served, And that announcement? Stressed me out, too.

So I wasn't a fan of the Windjammer for breakfast but I LOVED the breakfast I had in the MDR on the last sea day. It was excellent. I should have eaten there every sea day!

4c3b4de6.jpg

Chocolate was the theme - can you tell? But I had Eggs Benedict and it was delicious.

c38468b8.jpg

i was going to ask you why you kept eating at the WJ instead of going somewhere else?

what's the definition of insanity? doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different outcome...

on every ship i've been on, the buffet has been a zoo to be avoided at all costs...

and in any case, i prefer being served....it's a vacation...i want someone else to do the work....bring me the food....bring me more food....bring me even more food...

;)

Take one for the team, huh?:rolleyes:

Kathy

i was going to ask you why you kept eating at the WJ instead of going somewhere else?

what's the definition of insanity? doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different outcome...

on every ship i've been on, the buffet has been a zoo to be avoided at all costs...

and in any case, i prefer being served....it's a vacation...i want someone else to do the work....bring me the food....bring me more food....bring me even more food...

Oh, I am happy to answer you. I didn't like Park Cafe, and I hated Johnny Rockets. I don't eat donuts. I didn't know about breakfast in the MDR until the last sea day. The solarium breakfast was limited.

Where was this insane woman supposed to eat breakfast?

Is there a beach at Margaritaville? Is there a charge to swim there?

No beach - just lots of water toys and some decks with lounge chairs.

There is no charge to end and use the toys/chairs other than ordering a drink or something.

The closest beach is Doctor's Cave Beach.

Here are the water toys:

4e366898.jpg

Oh, I am happy to answer you. I didn't like Park Cafe, and I hated Johnny Rockets. I don't eat donuts. I didn't know about breakfast in the MDR until the last sea day. The solarium breakfast was limited.

Where was this insane woman supposed to eat breakfast?

It is a shame you are such a picky eater! I thought the Solarium bistro had a great variety of healthy options. Johnny Rockets is just a fun burger place. Hate is a pretty strong emotion for a burger joint! What was wrong with Park Cafe?

It is a shame you are such a picky eater! I thought the Solarium bistro had a great variety of healthy options. Johnny Rockets is just a fun burger place. Hate is a pretty strong emotion for a burger joint! What was wrong with Park Cafe?

Why should she answer your questions? Just so you can rebut with how much you disagree with her opinion? You've made it clear you're not a fan of this cruise report, so perhaps you should just stop visiting this thread?

I look forward to your final summation, hbr777! :)

No beach - just lots of water toys and some decks with lounge chairs.

There is no charge to end and use the toys/chairs other than ordering a drink or something.

The closest beach is Doctor's Cave Beach.

Here are the water toys:

4e366898.jpg

It should be noted that the swimming area at this Margaritaville is over 8 feet deep. Little children cannot touch the bottom so only good swimmers should use it. There are no lifeguards and it swim at your own risk.

It should be noted that the swimming area at this Margaritaville is over 8 feet deep. Little children cannot touch the bottom so only good swimmers should use it. There are no lifeguards and it swim at your own risk.

Good point - I was not with small children so I paid no attention. There is a lifeguard, though, he is seated up next to the slide.

Why should she answer your questions? Just so you can rebut with how much you disagree with her opinion? You've made it clear you're not a fan of this cruise report, so perhaps you should just stop visiting this thread?

I look forward to your final summation, hbr777! :)

Excuse me - I did think that we were free to voice our opinions and ask questions. DO NOT tell me not to visit a thread! I was simply trying to understand what she didn;t like about Park Cafe. I was not asking so that I could rebut her response. That is a pretty large assumption on your part! I liked park Cafe for lunch BUT I was not enamoured by the breakfast sandwich I had so I was curious as to what she did not like. I guess I should have made myself more clear!

Archived