Steaks in the steakhouse

golfadj

Ruth Chris is amazing! Longhorn -- meh.

But the best steak EVER for me was at Shula's -- oh. my. God. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

We will be trying the steakhouse aboard Freedom in November, our first Carnival steakhouse experience. I don't have extremely high expectations, but just wanted to give it a try.

I dont eat red meat, so cant comment on that, but in terms of quality of food across the board, I would never expect food on a floating ship to match the quality of a fine restaurant on land.

When people say the best tasting meal they ever had, was at sea, I question the level of restaurants they have visited on land.

A lot of it is psychological. When you go out to eat on land, you're just "going to out eat", special occasion or not. You still have to work for it, in a way, meaning things like drive there to a gridlocked downtown area, look for parking or worry about giving your keys to the valet guy, limit your drinks so you don't get DUI, feel the sticker shock at the end of the meal, and drive back late at night. All these except sticker shock can be eliminated by paying for a taxi, but it costs an arm and a leg. And on top of that, dining out solo in a nice restaurant on land is looked down upon, as opposed to being accepted or even embraced on cruise ships.

Not so on a cruise ship. Your meal is either included in the cruise price or has one flat fee, not charged a la carte. You don't have to worry about driving afterwards, so you have the freedom to drink plenty if your budget allows it. There's always a show waiting for you before or after dinner, also included in the price, so you get to do that "dinner and a show" thing. And you get to enjoy it all with good company, your own or someone elses. All those things put together create an atomosphere that make good food taste even better. So the flat iron steak with mashed potatoes and a WCMC for dessert that would taste simply good on a regular night out tastes like the best meal ever on a cruise ship.

I'm thinking it was a problem with the Pride steakhouse. Recently our steaks in the steakhouses on various ships have been amazing....until the Pride. But we just got off the Glory and it was back to amazing. Who knows....?

Hmmm...probably depends on the sailing...I had a great steak on the Pride steakhouse last year. And I'm going again in a couple of weeks and hope it's just as good.

Being from cattle country where steak is always a staple of just about everyone's diet I would have to say that I too am spoiled. The steaks that I have had on the ships were you usually good but not great. Some of the best I have had were surprisingly in the MDR and usually the prime rib. I am not for sure it is worth the extra $ or not. I will more than likely give it another shot on Magic.

I'm originally from Oklahoma too, and I'm picky about my steaks...my brother gets upset if I send a steak back for not being cooked correctly (but if I'm paying for it, it should be right!) So far I've found the steakhouse to be worth the extra money. I did have an appetizer last time I didn't like, but they gave me a new one right away.

Greetings, everyone. While I am not a foodie, I do love a good meal and to me there is nothing better than a good steak. Like QLUVS2CRUZ, I come from Oklahoma and grew up eating steak. I have had steaks in all kinds of settings from basic restaurants to top of the line places. I have enjoyed steaks at Longhorn, Outback, Texas Roadhouse, Logans, etc. and have also been to Ruths Chris, Capital Grill, Del Frisco's, Mortons, Flemings, Donovans, etc. For what it's worth, my first experience at Ruths Chris was good, but not great and subsequent visits only went downhill. Now, I don't even consider Ruths Chris. I have enjoyed Mortons and never had a bad steak there - same at Del Frisco's and Donovans. Was very disappointed in Flemings. My favorite restaurant steak is at a place called Houston's. They have a marinated Hawaiin Ribeye that is delicious. Love it.

Someone asked me where the best steak in Richmond was and I said "my house". We enjoy cooking steaks - you have to marinate them for several hours and also it helps if you start with a good cut of beef.

Looking forward to trying the steakhouse on the Pride in a couple of weeks as we celebrate a birthday! Will let you know how it goes but I am confident we will enjoy it.

Honestly I have not tried the steakhouse on carnival ships only because the ships I been on didn't offer them. I have been on RCI cruises the past 6 years been on 6 FOS 4 times and LOS 2times...and their specialty dining is amazing.

The quality of the steaks on cruise ship steakhouses are not as good as the "top quality" steakhouse restaurants but they are close to the better type steakhouses you would normally go to.

Ruth Chris to me is just very good nothing more but they sure have a terrrific creamed spinach lol

I probably never order a steak called the cowboy steak which is a riby eye with the bone probably too much fat and too much bone I think. I not one to want to cut around bones on my plate.

We never never take back any food after hearing what goes on in the kitchen even in finer dining establishments we just would try it one other time if it falls to our expectations we just never go again such as the Capital Grill.

To me the extra money is nothing...when we go to Mortons my NY Strip cost like $45.00 just for a steak I can dine in the steakhouse for full course dinner for just $35.00 surely we think its inexpensive so we are going there four evenings on the Dream. We also tip generously because we feel its just worth it.

Judatt I been to all those places you have mentioned except for Domovans...I have to agree Ruth Chris is good but nothing more not know why people think its so great. I also never ever had a bad steak or even a not so bad steak in Morton's its become my local favorite fine steakhouse to go to. Flemings we tried and agree not impressed too. I been to Houstons where is the one you been to?

We also buy fine steaks, I order online in organic farms that overnight me my meat. I not marinade I have gluten problem and cannot have marinade but a fine good steak does not need any marinade in my opinion...it just needs some salt and pepper and cook to medium rare to pefection yummmmmm

We also looking forward to the Steakhouse on the Dream for four nights can't wait.

I dont eat red meat, so cant comment on that, but in terms of quality of food across the board, I would never expect food on a floating ship to match the quality of a fine restaurant on land.

When people say the best tasting meal they ever had, was at sea, I question the level of restaurants they have visited on land.

I had dinner at Burns Steak House in Tampa last year... It did not compare to my Legend Steak House experience. That meal is still on the top of my list of best meals ever. (oh and the meal on the legend cost me less than my after dinner drink at Burns!)

Honestly I have not tried the steakhouse on carnival ships only because the ships I been on didn't offer them. I have been on RCI cruises the past 6 years been on 6 FOS 4 times and LOS 2times...and their specialty dining is amazing.

The quality of the steaks on cruise ship steakhouses are not as good as the "top quality" steakhouse restaurants but they are close to the better type steakhouses you would normally go to.

Ruth Chris to me is just very good nothing more but they sure have a terrrific creamed spinach lol

I probably never order a steak called the cowboy steak which is a riby eye with the bone probably too much fat and too much bone I think. I not one to want to cut around bones on my plate.

We never never take back any food after hearing what goes on in the kitchen even in finer dining establishments we just would try it one other time if it falls to our expectations we just never go again such as the Capital Grill.

To me the extra money is nothing...when we go to Mortons my NY Strip cost like $45.00 just for a steak I can dine in the steakhouse for full course dinner for just $35.00 surely we think its inexpensive so we are going there four evenings on the Dream. We also tip generously because we feel its just worth it.

Judatt I been to all those places you have mentioned except for Domovans...I have to agree Ruth Chris is good but nothing more not know why people think its so great. I also never ever had a bad steak or even a not so bad steak in Morton's its become my local favorite fine steakhouse to go to. Flemings we tried and agree not impressed too. I been to Houstons where is the one you been to?

We also buy fine steaks, I order online in organic farms that overnight me my meat. I not marinade I have gluten problem and cannot have marinade but a fine good steak does not need any marinade in my opinion...it just needs some salt and pepper and cook to medium rare to pefection yummmmmm

We also looking forward to the Steakhouse on the Dream for four nights can't wait.

Hi Lyndmar. Glad to know that others have had similar experiences as we have. Houston's is one of my favorite places. They also have "fall of the bone" ribs that are excellent - my wife often gets those but I can't resist the Hawaiin ribeye. Houston's is a relatively small chain. I think they have 10 or 15 locations across the nation. I have been to Memphis, Atlanta, Scottsdale and Nashville (subsequently closed due to owners retirement). If you ever get a chance to dine there, I highly recommend them.

Lyndmar, I forgot to mention in my previous post an encouragement to try a bone in Ribeye if you ever get a chance. Yes, the bone requires some work and it does have a good bit of fat, but the effort is worth it. I've never had a bad one. Just like anything else, I'm sure there are those that aren't up to par, but I have really enjoyed the ones I have ordered. Donovans is in Scottsdale and I have had a bone in ribeye there - delicious.

Judatt yes Houstons I been there...thanks for letting me know but yes we have been to the one when I lived in south Florida we went to the one in Aventura and Boca! :D

We are confirmed four evenings on the Dream and I going to take you up on the bone in Rib eye!! ;)

Getting back to the OP question I feel that the steakhouses on cruises are very close to a decent steakhouse on land, maybe can't compare to the finest steakhouses but most likely to the good ones out there and on top of it the cost is really pennies compared to what you pay for on land restaurants.

Now I want a bone in rib eye.....ok its breakfast whats wrong with steak and eggs hahahaah

I had the filet in December on the Liberty. It was cooked to perfection, but was tastless. I worked for a foodservice distributer that had our own cut room. I can tell you the steaks in the steakhouse are no longer prime! My previous experiences have always been excellent prime quality!

I'll take a close look at the presentation tray when we're on the Legend in October. During our Liberty cruise over July 4th we dined in Diamond's Steakhouse 6 nights - every steak I ordered (had fish/chicken 3 nights) was flavorful and tender. It's pretty easy to spot prime vs. choice -- the Publix that just opened near us carries prime and Wagyu frequently... the marbling gives it away. I'll take some photos on the Legend (hopefully of PRIME)! :eek:

Olive garden is just not good Italian food. Sad that people actually think so.

The same way people think about Red Lobster w/regard to seafood!

I had dinner at Burns Steak House in Tampa last year... It did not compare to my Legend Steak House experience. That meal is still on the top of my list of best meals ever. (oh and the meal on the legend cost me less than my after dinner drink at Burns!)

Our first trip to Bern's was excellent. Enjoyed the tour of the kitchen and wine cellar (HUGE). The second time (perhaps 4 years ago) was a letdown... from the strip club riffraff that had inundated the place to the quality of my steak. Don't think I'll give it a third visit...

Prime (Bellagio/Vegas) was mentioned earlier. We've enjoyed a couple of meals there. While they were good steaks, they were not worth the $65 and $200 I paid for them (OK, they were actually comped.. ;) ) one prime grade and one Kobe, which I later learned was NOT! :mad: Surprisingly, I have enjoyed my meals more in the Steakhouse (Carnival) than I did there. Prime is a bit too into itself IMHO.

Tom

Does the grill in the steakhouse reach the same temp as those on land in the best steakhouse?

I dont think so. But alot has to do with the cook as well. A bad cook can screw up a great piece of beef.

I always thought they had great steaks comparable to alot of the Mortons/Ruth chris type places. But it has been almost 4 years since Ive ate in one

BTW It is because of a horrible Steakhouse experience and Terrible customer service from the Hostess all the way up the chain @ corporate that I stopped cruising Carnival

To those who mentioned Olive Garden, that is in no way Italian cooking, it's an abomination.

As for the CCL steakhouse, it's been a little while since I've been to one, but it's always been outstanding. I am a chef and a foodie, and I've dined at some of the most well renowned dining establishments around. The CCL steskhouses in my experience have been every bit as good as, or better than Ruths Chris. Maybe it varies ship to ship, or maybe they have dropped quality I don't know ... But it has always been well worth the cost to us, and I will be back on my next cruise.

On the East Coast, we have Ruth Chris and therefore, I am spoiled. I love Rib-eye steak, prime rib....or a beautiful 8oz. Filet.

My first trip to Ruth's Chris was years ago in Las Vegas, so they are in places other than the East Coast. Actually, I believe her first restaurant was opened in New Orleans.

I do agree though, my absolutely favorite place to get a filet mignon.

Kevin C

I'll take a close look at the presentation tray when we're on the Legend in October. During our Liberty cruise over July 4th we dined in Diamond's Steakhouse 6 nights - every steak I ordered (had fish/chicken 3 nights) was flavorful and tender. It's pretty easy to spot prime vs. choice -- the Publix that just opened near us carries prime and Wagyu frequently... the marbling gives it away. I'll take some photos on the Legend (hopefully of PRIME)! :eek:

Our first trip to Bern's was excellent. Enjoyed the tour of the kitchen and wine cellar (HUGE). The second time (perhaps 4 years ago) was a letdown... from the strip club riffraff that had inundated the place to the quality of my steak. Don't think I'll give it a third visit...

Prime (Bellagio/Vegas) was mentioned earlier. We've enjoyed a couple of meals there. While they were good steaks, they were not worth the $65 and $200 I paid for them (OK, they were actually comped.. ;) ) one prime grade and one Kobe, which I later learned was NOT! :mad: Surprisingly, I have enjoyed my meals more in the Steakhouse (Carnival) than I did there. Prime is a bit too into itself IMHO.

Tom

How would you compare the Carnival steakhouse to say Ruth Chris or Capital Grille?

Does the grill temperature on the ship comparable to a good steakhouse?

How would you compare the Carnival steakhouse to say Ruth Chris or Capital Grille?

Does the grill temperature on the ship comparable to a good steakhouse?

Never tried Capital Grille. We've only dined at Ruth's Chris one time - it was good, but "wowed" me in no way. The servers seemed disinterested. Of course, that was likely a store specific issue. My filet was perfectly cooked, Cheryl's was to be M-Well, but was a dry hockey puck when it came out (one reason I always order a filet RARE - but I digress)... :)

As to the temp, can't recall that ever being discussed.

Tom

I not sure how they cook the steaks but on RCI specialty restaurants one of them being Chops which is their version of a steakhouse it tasted just as if we were at Ruth Chris but not Mortons. I guess they could have a grill why not or a type that is enclosed grill like the old fashioned pizza stoves.

Unfortunately I can't compare Carnival's steakhouse to the other Steakhouses but comparing what I experienced in other cruise lines steakhouse I have to say I find the ships steakhouses better than the Capital Grills. Their steaks are much better and a tastier flavor. Compare to Mortons can't do that because you just get quality beef in Mortons they buy from Stockyard and Allen Brothers which are very good reputable places to get meat. Mortons has prime beef...

Now there are few different types of graded beef market which start out standard, select, choice and prime being the top cut and then there is even better wagyu also there is kobe beef but thats subjectable to each person because wagyu has more marbling/fat so depends whether you prefer that type of beef...prime is very expensive with wagyu being most expensive.

Then one has to consider maturity of the beef and what the cattle has been fed grains, grass, organic, etc. Then there is aging to consider...and whether it was wet or dry. So much to consider even how it is cooked grilling, broiling, roasting, pan frying....

Back to your question I would say RCI steakhouse is as like Ruth Chris. I can't wait till I experience the Steakhouse on the Dream Im sure its wonderful. Anything is better than that flat iron steak that is served in the MDR surely its worth paying an extra $35.00 for. The way I see if if I spend money for a cruise then what is another extra $70.00 to have a fine dining experience while on my cruise?

Tom, fine steakhouses prefer to serve you steaks medium rare...they and myself not recommend having a fine steak that is over cooked, you just not get the total flavor that way. I love mine mooing the best :rolleyes:

First I must say I am not a connesour (sp) of top quality steaks

I have thought the quality of Carnival's steaks has been going down for awhile now.

In April had a cowboy steak (ribeye) in the Glory steakhouse and was very disappointed in it. My son had a boneless NY strip and son in law filet mignon and none of us thought it was what we had in the past.

This past week went to a Capital Grille steakhouse in Chicago near Ohare airport.

Ribeye was outstanding. Price for the steak itself (22 0z) was $ 45 with nothing else on the plate.

Is it reasonable to expect the same quality at the Carnival steakhouse?

Come on Stu of course not.

I would have returned my steak but the server disappeared on us for quite some time.

As a matter of fact took almost 25 minutes to see anyone to get the sides we ordered.

Took just about 3 hours for our dinner in spite of being the first group to arrive at the steakhouse.

Complained to the manager as we were leaving and she was less than helpful just saying she would speak to the server.:mad:

I wonder if the Maitre D would have been able to help the next night at dinner

3 hours for dinner is sad

I wonder if the Maitre D would have been able to help the next night at dinner

3 hours for dinner is sad

I would think that above steakhouse manager would be hotel director or perhaps food and beverage manager.

In any case was having a great time with my kids and didnt want to spend more time on this.

Archived