Island Princess or the Zuiderdam

wally8

I know this has been discussed yet I thought I would try it again. We are in our late 60's and active and are going on a partial Panama Cruise in Feb. next year and have not made up our minds as to which ship to take. For those that have done this cruise on either, what would make you recommend one over the other. I appreciate your comments. Bob from TX

I know this has been discussed yet I thought I would try it again. We are in our late 60's and active and are going on a partial Panama Cruise in Feb. next year and have not made up our minds as to which ship to take. For those that have done this cruise on either, what would make you recommend one over the other. I appreciate your comments. Bob from TX

To be fair I have never sailed Zeiderdam, but, since I have sailed the Canal on my favourite ship Coral, I would go Island Princess.

john

I've done this cruise several times on the Coral Princess (sister ship to the Island Princess) and the Oosterdam (sister ship to the Oosterdam) although I've also been on the Island and the Zuiderdam on different itineraries. I'm not going to be much help because I liked all of these ships. If I had to decide between the ships, I'd first consider cabin availability and pricing. The cruise experience is very similar although there are minor differences between Princess and HAL.

When I did this cruise on the Oosterdam, I had an aft balcony cabin (5184) which was awesome. Covered balcony so I was protected from the sun and weather, and huge... probably 9'x 12'. Really huge. I like that the Oosterdam has the Canaletto, a free, waitstaff-served Italian dining set up in a section of the Lido that was delicious. Most HAL cabins have a small couch and a larger bathroom with a tub. On the other hand, Princess cabins have more storage, self-serve laundries, the buffet is open from early morning to late at night (HAL's Lido closes early for breakfast, lunch and dinner) and more public deck areas for viewing while you go through the Canal.

Been on both. The Island for sure.

EDIT: Just realized that writing two short sentences wasn't all that helpful. So...I haven't been on HAL in years, and I bet if you ask this on the HAL board, you'll get a different consensus. But I loved the Island (and Coral) through the Canal. They're the favorites of many of us here, just the right size, and really pleasant inside and out, with a relaxed, airy feel. (Also a great CD, but I have no idea if he's still assigned to the ship.) I don't recall being that enthusiastic about the Zuiderdam. So, all other things being equal...the Island for sure.

Been on Holland twice and would never sail with them again, the food was the worst and the dining staff didn't know how to have a good time. I am not all Princess. I enjoy Princess, Carnival and Royal Caribean and Yes Norwegian. Actually last April, 12 of us who have all cruise a lot, thought Norwegian Star had the best food of all lines and we are very picky. Stick with Princess, you will be disappointed if you go with Holland. Although, if you don't care about the food and staff, go with Holland we do love the mini suites on Holland better than on other lines.

Cherie

I have sailed on both ships. While I liked both I would overwhelmingly go with the Island Princess.

While I enjoyed the service on both I really liked the decor and feeling of space on the Island. I realize they are practically the same size but there was a "feeling" about the Island that I can not quite put my finger on it.

Been on Holland twice and would never sail with them again, the food was the worst and the dining staff didn't know how to have a good time. I am not all Princess. I enjoy Princess, Carnival and Royal Caribean and Yes Norwegian. Actually last April, 12 of us who have all cruise a lot, thought Norwegian Star had the best food of all lines and we are very picky. Stick with Princess, you will be disappointed if you go with Holland. Although, if you don't care about the food and staff, go with Holland we do love the mini suites on Holland better than on other lines.

Cherie

I did the partial transit this April, on the Zuiderdam. The food was fantastic, and service was impeccable, on all levels. My waiter was full of life and had no problem breaking into a song or dance, but usually just entertained us with magic. The Assistant Head Waiter was professional and personable.

That being said, I also love Princess but didn't do the partial transit on her, so have no first hand knowledge. If my past experiences with both lines can be relied upon (and I believe they can be) then either would be a great choice. Check itinerary and prices and let that be your guide is my suggestion.

Maureen

Comparing ship vs ship, I'll relate my experiences based on a recent cruise on the Island Princess and a more recent cruise on the Oosterdam.

-The Island Princess has fewer, but bigger public areas... conversely, the Oosterdam/Zuiderdam has more, smaller public areas.

i liked HAL in this department

-the princess decor is light woods, glass, soft colors, silver accents.

-the HAL decor is dramatic bright color contrasts(light and dark), brass accents

personally i prefer princess in this department.

-Both ships have 2 main pools. On princess 1 is open, and 1 is frequently covered. On HAL 1 is open and 1 is occasionally covered. HAL seems to be more liberal with the use of their covered dome.

-The Oosterdam/Zuiderdam felt a bit "tighter" and more closed in vs lots of space on the Island Princess, very large areas, but sometimes a waste of space.

-Preferred the buffet on the Island more. Preferred the main dining room on the Oosterdam more.

-Island princess has a lot of aft and fore viewing areas, the oosterdam/zuiderdam is a bit lacking in this metric but seems to have more deck top space.

-food, island princess buffet is open round the clock from 6am to midnight, and perhaps after. HAL buffet is open during meal times, otherwise its room service. While thats not a big deal, its nice to be able to grab something quick to eat practically any time rather than having to call up room service.

I am not aHAL fan, so I would recommend the Coral or Island. I have done both several times and would go again if I had the opportunity. They are lovely smaller ships with good balcony viewa and competant lecturers.

~Doris~

Archived