Alaska in 2014 - Hopefully?

sivyaleah

Hi everyone!

My BF and I both turn 55 in 2014 and are seriously contemplating an Alaskan cruise for our birthday. It's one of those dream trips we both individually have wanted to take prior to meeting and, by that time, we also will be celebrating 6 years together at the time of year when we'll be cruising. Who knows, perhaps it will be a wedding also since he keeps hounding me to marry him lol :D

Anyway, I'm just now starting to gather information. My sister is a travel agent so she'll be doing a lot of leg work for me but, I value what people on CC think, as I've been a member here for a while (I've cruised several times in the past, as has he).

Things that matter to us are:

Food. Yes I'm putting this first because our last cruise on Royal Caribbean was very disappointing in that regard. I am a really good cook, and I know bad food when I taste it and now that he's used to eating my food, well he's gotten spoiled. We need to have a ship with a lot of options for dining. I loved being on NCL for that reason - many restaurants to choose from; we didn't mind paying the up-charge at all.

Newer staterooms if possible. However, not at the expense of being cramped. We really disliked NCL's "Epic". Very poor room planning.

Balcony - must have. Possibly would take a suite or mini-suite if the price was right.

We've learned we don't really like mega-ships. Would prefer to sail on a more intimately sized ship.

We are not party people any longer by any stretch of the imagination. We don't care about the bars, and really aren't much into glitzy shows. We are low key, nature lovers or tend to keep to ourselves most of the time. Therefore, we also need to make sure that "tables for two" at dining are widely available and not a problem to obtain.

We are coming from the Northeast area - New Jersey. Need recommendations as to the best itinerary. What port to depart from, what cruise is best in your opinion (I realize it's subjective), how many days before and after would we need to make the trip comfortable for us without making it too long (I don't know if I can get 2 full weeks off yet).

Best time of year? I know there is some point where bugs are an issue? We're flexible, he turns 55 in February, me in May so we'd be able to get the "over 55" discount for the trip - yea! Haha, finally a reason to enjoy being older :P

What are the must see things to do that I will kick myself if I miss them?

I've looked at Princess, Holland and Celebrity thus far to get an idea. Celebrity is gorgeous, love the boats, rooms, dining, extras, etc. Princess - not nuts about the rooms but I hear wonderful things about it and my sister recommends it highly. Holland, seems like a solid choice but I'm not totally sold on it, as I've heard food could be a drawback for us. While I have enjoyed sailing with NCL in the past, I'm not so sure I want to go with them for this type of cruise. I'm looking to be a bit pampered this time around - after all, this is a special once in a lifetime kind of holiday for us!

Thanks for responding. I know a lot of this is covered ad nauseum here, but things change a lot quickly so getting fresh information is always appreciated :)

Laurie

Having recently gone through this decision making process, I can tell you, first thing you need to decide is what is most important for you to see - glaciers (Hubbard, Glacier Bay), wildlife, etc. Next thing is a one way or round trip - one way has the advantage of being able to add on an additional week either before or after the cruise. Roundtrip has the advantage of booking air into/out of the same city. From everything I've read on here, Vancouver roundtrips are superior to Seattle roundtrips. Then look at itineraries and port times. This will help you narrow things down considerably.

I originally wanted to do this cruise this year, but DH nixed that idea so I got him to agree to an extra week of vacation so we are doing a week inland and then a week on a cruise. I liked the Seward departure point because of the Kenai Fjords tours, Alaska SeaLife Center and the close proximity to Exit Glacier. I also like the idea of taking the train from Anchorage to Seward and have read that that is the more scenic of train rides. That narrowed the cruiselines to RCCL, Celebrity and HAL. I nixed HAL because of their smoking policies and I just don't really like the looks of their ships!:o RCCL and Celebrity have identical sailings/port times so it came down to atmosphere and here Celebrity won out. I just felt that Celebrity has a more relaxed atmosphere and after our week inland, we would need that relaxation. Plus I really like the Butler service for the suites on Celebrity!

Hope this helps a little with your decision.

Based on the fact that the ship seems to be the most important thing to you, I think an Alaskan cruise is probably not best for you. olemissrb pretty much also confirmed that when they wrote about what is most important. They talked about all things Alaskan that are usually a much higher priority in Alaska than the ship.

I suggest a Caribbean or New England cruise where the main draw can easily be the ship.

Save Alaska for a time when wildlife, glaciers and scenery outweigh the ship amenities.

I think Frugal is being a tad harsh. I think the ship is important on any cruise. However, Alaska isn't just anyplace. It is unique in what you can see.

What I recommend is to pick maybe three cruise lines that look good to you and then compare their itineraries. Do some research on the ports and places they go. THen you can narrow down the ship based on the features you want and the itinerary.

You have plenty of time to research this and figure out what you want to do.

By the way, May is early in the season for Alaska, which has its plusses and minuses. The plusses include possible smaller crowds. The negatives are that it is not peak wildlife viewing and the weather will be cooler than June or July.

Coming from the East coast, the cold should not be too much of a problem for you.

You can search this board for questions about itineraries to see what others have said about "must see" places.

Keep in mind that not all cruise ships go to every place. For example, not all cruise ships visit Glacier Bay.

Anyway, like I said, you have plenty of time to research. Good Luck

You said that you liked NCL- well in 2013 and probably 14 they will have three ships in AK. Two doing RT out of Seattle and one doing one ways out of Vancouver BC. The Pearl will be doing Glacier Bay on its RT Seattle and the Sun will be doing Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier on its northbound sailings. Since you are planning two years out I would suggest that you look at doing a one way plus a cruisetour - the tour portion could be DIY or through the cruise line (NCL, Princess, HAL, and RCCL all have tour programs). There are also packages available through Grey Lines of Alaska, The Alaska Railroad, and others. As others have said the ship is the minor portion of the alaskan cruise experience.

Agree with the other posters about the beauty and experiences in Alaska being the best. So, even if you aren't crazy about the ships or the food, consider HAL and do a cruisetour with the tour on the first part. Then you can relax on the cruise the second week. Have only been able to go there three times but would do these every year if finances allowed. Marvelous, marvelous place!

Agree with the other posters about the beauty and experiences in Alaska being the best. So, even if you aren't crazy about the ships or the food, consider HAL and do a cruisetour with the tour on the first part. Then you can relax on the cruise the second week. Have only been able to go there three times but would do these every year if finances allowed. Marvelous, marvelous place!

It depends on everyone's personal style and opinion but I don't find the cruise portion any more relaxing than the land portion. But maybe that is because cruisetours are more hectic than independent travel. Trying to maximize a relatively short port time can make cruising anything but "relaxing" though good time management usually helps with that.

Since you know you like NCL and the ship is so important to you, I would stick with what you know you like. NCL suites are highly recommended for the added perks from all I have read on CC. Sounds like that would be a good fit for you. As already mentioned, in 2013, NCL will be offering a NB one-way cruise that includes Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. You would be getting the two premier glacier areas along the cruise route. I don't know if this itinerary will still be offered in 2014, but if it is, this sounds like a good choice for you. With this one way cruise, you would fly into Vancouver and home from Anchorage or Fairbanks, depending what you do after. Look at multi-city pricing for your airfare, as well as two one-ways to compare the best deals.

Good luck with your planning. Alaska is an amazing place to visit.

I think you're asking questions before doing any research. Read Ann Vipond's book "Alaska by cruiseship" to learn about cruiselines, ships, ports, itineraries, activities, etc. I think Frommers has an Alaska cruise book out now as well. And are you reading the MEMBER REVIEWS now that travellers are coming home from their cruises? Their reviews will give you some great insights into the various ships.

As for what things to do ... again, do some research. Learn about ALL the options and choose something that interests YOU. Don't worry about what we liked .... we may not have similar interests to you. Does a sled dog excursion interest you? Certainly not me. Fishing? No thanks. Bear viewing ... if so, be mindful of the windows of time for success at each location. Borrow a few Alaska travel books from your library and learn about what each port has to offer. There are less than a dozen ports so not a ton of reading required.

I think you're placing a lot of emphasis on the ship. As olemissreb pointed out, Alaska is about scenery, sights, activities, and wildlife so the itinerary is generally the priority. Have fun with your planning! You've got lots of time to prepare. By the time you sail, you'll be doling out opinions like an expert.

Based on the fact that the ship seems to be the most important thing to you, I think an Alaskan cruise is probably not best for you. olemissrb pretty much also confirmed that when they wrote about what is most important. They talked about all things Alaskan that are usually a much higher priority in Alaska than the ship.

I suggest a Caribbean or New England cruise where the main draw can easily be the ship.

Save Alaska for a time when wildlife, glaciers and scenery outweigh the ship amenities.

I think you didn't pick up the fact in my original post that a) Alaska is a dream vacation for both of us; and b) we are experienced cruisers. We have done Caribbean and similar and that is not what we are seeking this time let alone we both have lived in either tropical or semi-tropical areas in our lives.

We want to see glaciers, scenery, and wildlife, not be hot lol. Both of us are into photography as a hobby so Alaska is a huge draw for us in that regard. But the ship matters for comfort, absolutely and we have been disappointed on a few so asking questions about meals and such is important for me. We are trying to avoid a megaship this time, and while I read the reviews sometimes it is better to have more of a back and forth discussion on the boards to delve deeper. We are celebrating milestones on this trip and want it to be memorable, on all accounts.

As noted,there is much to think about in taking an Alaskan vacation.

One important thing is that a cruise covers only a small portion of the state-mostly in the Southeast for most of the cruises. THere is a whole lot more ot see, if you want to see Alaska. That is why a combination cruise/land tour is usually recommended.

Obviously, there are packaged cruise tours, which do both, but these are often limited and controlled by the cruise line. However, they are not a bad place to start in getting ideas for a land portion of any trip.

Again, this means more research, but you have time to do that......

When we went 6 years ago....some of the best food that we had...wasn't on the ship..!! But we took advantage of finding great reviews on places to have lunch/dinner at the ports we stopped at! - Icy Strait...Halibut Pizza...Crab cakes.... Oh Yum!! Yes, we pay for the food on the ship on a Cruise, but we also love to taste what is in the region where we Cruise. - We go back in 2013... Can't wait! :D

Hi everyone!

My BF and I both turn 55 in 2014 and are seriously contemplating an Alaskan cruise for our birthday. It's one of those dream trips we both individually have wanted to take prior to meeting and, by that time, we also will be celebrating 6 years together at the time of year when we'll be cruising. Who knows, perhaps it will be a wedding also since he keeps hounding me to marry him lol :D

Anyway, I'm just now starting to gather information. My sister is a travel agent so she'll be doing a lot of leg work for me but, I value what people on CC think, as I've been a member here for a while (I've cruised several times in the past, as has he).

Things that matter to us are:

Food. Yes I'm putting this first because our last cruise on Royal Caribbean was very disappointing in that regard. I am a really good cook, and I know bad food when I taste it and now that he's used to eating my food, well he's gotten spoiled. We need to have a ship with a lot of options for dining. I loved being on NCL for that reason - many restaurants to choose from; we didn't mind paying the up-charge at all.

Newer staterooms if possible. However, not at the expense of being cramped. We really disliked NCL's "Epic". Very poor room planning.

Balcony - must have. Possibly would take a suite or mini-suite if the price was right.

We've learned we don't really like mega-ships. Would prefer to sail on a more intimately sized ship.

We are not party people any longer by any stretch of the imagination. We don't care about the bars, and really aren't much into glitzy shows. We are low key, nature lovers or tend to keep to ourselves most of the time. Therefore, we also need to make sure that "tables for two" at dining are widely available and not a problem to obtain.

We are coming from the Northeast area - New Jersey. Need recommendations as to the best itinerary. What port to depart from, what cruise is best in your opinion (I realize it's subjective), how many days before and after would we need to make the trip comfortable for us without making it too long (I don't know if I can get 2 full weeks off yet).

Best time of year? I know there is some point where bugs are an issue? We're flexible, he turns 55 in February, me in May so we'd be able to get the "over 55" discount for the trip - yea! Haha, finally a reason to enjoy being older :P

What are the must see things to do that I will kick myself if I miss them?

I've looked at Princess, Holland and Celebrity thus far to get an idea. Celebrity is gorgeous, love the boats, rooms, dining, extras, etc. Princess - not nuts about the rooms but I hear wonderful things about it and my sister recommends it highly. Holland, seems like a solid choice but I'm not totally sold on it, as I've heard food could be a drawback for us. While I have enjoyed sailing with NCL in the past, I'm not so sure I want to go with them for this type of cruise. I'm looking to be a bit pampered this time around - after all, this is a special once in a lifetime kind of holiday for us!

Thanks for responding. I know a lot of this is covered ad nauseum here, but things change a lot quickly so getting fresh information is always appreciated :)

Laurie

Alaska is a beautiful state and hopefully a place that everyone gets to experience once in their lifetime. A trip to Alaska definitely takes a lot of planning and researching especially if it's your only trip (not saying that it will be) :) --- good that you are planning ahead.

You have asked a lot of questions and will get a lot of different opinions based on people's experience. I have been to Alaska 10 times on various lines (Princess, RCI and Celebrity) and EACH experience was different. For us, we have narrowed down our bullet list to two factors: non-smoking policies and itinerary. In looking at the lines you have mentioned, I doubt that you will get everything you want from them. You might be more comfortable with looking at one of the upper-end cruise lines that offer better food and accommodations.

I am not a big fan of the Seattle to Seattle itinerary due to the short port times. One way itineraries are great as you can add on some exploration of your own or through the cruise line before or after the cruise. We enjoy back-to-back cruises as it allows us more whale watching and glacier viewing opportunities.

Good luck with your planning process. BTW, I am 61 and my DH is 66, and I have yet to get a "senior" discount like you mentioned in your post above. If you find one, let me know.

Archived