Just back from QE Norway. Comparison with Celebrity

iandjm

Yes, I remember the muzak in and around the pool area on deck 12. I didn't find it too intrusive. I only noticed it, because the lack of piped muzak elsewhere on board.

I think maybe thats why is was noticeable and it is nice not to have it everywhere , also the chart room , you only hear it when there are only a few people in there:)

As for what we should be buying this minute Cunard don't announce it but bombard you with it on nothing less than market stalls, cheap tat at that and we all know about it and where it is, a huge misdemeanor by Cunard that I have not seen on any other Cruise line

If the choice is between endless breathless announcements and a few tables of goods outside the shops, I know which I'd rather. You can escape the tables by not walking through that area (if they offend you that much) but you can't escape ship-wide announcements.

Thinking about it, I don't really mind the location of the tables. They've moved them from the corridor, to just outside the shops, and it seems like the most appropriate place to put them. On a positive note, it gives you something to do...wander past the tables and have a look.

Really? That is bad. Thankfully I've yet to encounter it. Last time I was sat there, sipping a drink and reading my book, other than the occasional splash of water and quiet conversation, all was quiet and calm. You were unlucky. I shall listen out for that on my next crossing. Thank you.

Lucky you - I wonder if it had anything to do with the circumnavigation of Australia and they thought we expected it :p

It was so loud that it did intrude on my book reading at times. Not so bad if you did not want to concentrate on anything else.

The one thing that I have found to be superior on Celebrity is the disembarkation.

We have travelled twice on the QM2 and twice on Celebrity. On both occasions with Cundard we had to sit in the Queen's room for ages before being called to disembark. On both occasions with Celebrity we were able to stay in our staterooms until the time we opted to disembark and then were able to walk straight off the ship.

Celebrity made the end of our holiday so much more pleasant that Cunard and, to be honest, I don't really understand why Cunard can't operate the same disembarkation procedures.

The one thing that I have found to be superior on Celebrity is the disembarkation.

We have travelled twice on the QM2 and twice on Celebrity. On both occasions with Cundard we had to sit in the Queen's room for ages before being called to disembark. On both occasions with Celebrity we were able to stay in our staterooms until the time we opted to disembark and then were able to walk straight off the ship.

Celebrity made the end of our holiday so much more pleasant that Cunard and, to be honest, I don't really understand why Cunard can't operate the same disembarkation procedures.

I agree - we were also all given the option to choose our disembarkation time on Celebrity. Is this the norm? If so, it's a marvellous idea, and one which seemed to work well.

However, two weeks of extracts from their CD, "Cover Versions of Songs you hoped never to hear again", nearly drove me mad. They even played rap every evening in the Martini Bar, estimated average age of customers about 60...

Mary

They even played rap every evening in the Martini Bar, estimated average age of customers about 60...

Mary

That would have been something to hear - or not. :) Sounds terrible, just what you need for a quiet drink in sophisticated surroundings!

However, two weeks of extracts from their CD, "Cover Versions of Songs you hoped never to hear again", nearly drove me mad. They even played rap every evening in the Martini Bar, estimated average age of customers about 60...

Mary

Couldn't agree more about the music. The music in the Molecular bar is even worse, played at a volume that wouldn't be out of place in a nightclub - conversation would be absolutely impossible. My OH complained to one of the officers and it was turned down but was still much too loud and we had to take our drink somewhere else.

Things are much more sedate on QM2, even when there is live music you can still have a conversation.

If the choice is between endless breathless announcements and a few tables of goods outside the shops, I know which I'd rather. You can escape the tables by not walking through that area (if they offend you that much) but you can't escape ship-wide announcements.

Thinking about it, I don't really mind the location of the tables. They've moved them from the corridor, to just outside the shops, and it seems like the most appropriate place to put them. On a positive note, it gives you something to do...wander past the tables and have a look.

Celebrity only make an announcement at midday. It sounds like you are describing Royal Caribbean :)

As there is NO excuse for piped musak at all... I would only consider Chandris, sorry Royal Caribbean, sorry Celebrity Cruise Line, if this aural graffiti wasn't only "toned down" but stopped.

One of the pleasures of Cunard for me (and friends whom I have introduced to Cunard) is the complete lack of piped musak, endless announcements telling us where we should be rushing off to now... and what we should be buying this minute...

As one friend said "only Cunard seem to treat me as an adult"...

I suppose one could take ear-plugs.

I wish those who enjoy Celebrity a very happy Bon Voyage for their next cruise.

Idid notice piped music in several locations on QE too. Pan pipe versions of famous songs........

I think maybe thats why is was noticeable and it is nice not to have it everywhere , also the chart room , you only hear it when there are only a few people in there:)

True I never really found it intrusive. I guess the only issue I had was in the Grills.It was played there during dinner(classical,of course)My only concern was the sound track repeated quite frequently. We heard it start over in about an hour & half.

I enjoyed the comparison of the two ships. We have been on Celebrity Eclipse three times now and enjoyed it very much. Embarkation and Disembarkation is the best we have ever known. Cabins, bathrooms and balconies are a very good size and well appointed. Large TV and tea making facilities (if needed). Service and food in MDR excellent as are the Speciality Restaurants.

Our cruise choice for next month was between Eclipse and Queen Victoria; QV won on itinerary. We have been with Cunard several times in the past but first time on QV. We know they are very different style of ships, but looking forward very much to finding out.

Yes, I remember the muzak in and around the pool area on deck 12. I didn't find it too intrusive. I only noticed it, because the lack of piped muzak elsewhere on board.

They definitely have it from time to time in QM2's Sir Samuel's because I remarked on it to a member of the bar crew - she said that it was relayed from a central source and modulated locally. It was unobtrusive and classical in nature, I certainly had no gripe with it though I accept that it will vex the purists.

M-AR

They definitely have it from time to time in QM2's Sir Samuel's because I remarked on it to a member of the bar crew - she said that it was relayed from a central source and modulated locally. It was unobtrusive and classical in nature, I certainly had no gripe with it though I accept that it will vex the purists.M-AR

Thank you, I shall listen out for it on my next trip. Certainly I didn't hear it on either QM2 voyage last year, nor on a QE cruise a few months back.

So, I've been very lucky, I've not heard musak on board, not once. If it were playing, it was so quiet, it was not intrusive, and I missed it :) . Thanks again. Best wishes.

Celebrity only make an announcement at midday. It sounds like you are describing Royal Caribbean :)

Thanks OP for confirming this. I don't know where the rumors come from that Celebrity has lots of announcements, because it's not true in my experience. Far from it. Someone also said this about X on the HAL board, then when questioned admitted he must've been thinking of NCL.

We were on Eclipse last year, just one trip shy of her first birthday and really enjoyed the newness of the ship. We are sailing on QE in 86 days and will have a comparison soon.

a thought...

If one actually hears the music, it is probably too loud... I would venture that each ship has music in most places on the ship... but sometimes it is just not noticed.... kinda like it is just part of the being there...

Eclipse had a really good a capella group of 4 young fellows that preformed several times in differnet venues around the ship... they were a delight ... 4 part harmony while watching the sea ...

As has been stated... everyone has an opinion... none of them is wrong

I think your mistaken here, RCL maybe but not celebrity , rcl do make announcements :eek:.

My last voyage on QM2 a few weeks ago had those table in the hall wyas and out side the shops, also clothes rails now out side the shops:eek:

Archived