Tipping room service US or AU dollars?

I would suggest that you tip in whatever currency that the ship uses. For example, if it would be a HAL ship or a Princess ship usually based in North America, like the Diamond Princess, you would tip in US dollars. If it is a P & O Australia vessel, you would tip in Australian dollars.

The Dawn Princess operates in Aussie dollars. Automatic tipping ceased in May 2011 for Australian passengers, but American passengers are charged the "hotal charge" (auto tipping). I think it is likely UK passengers are also charged this fee, however, it is up to you whether you want to remove it by arranging this at the Reception (Pursers) desk. You are free to personally tip stewards/waiters if you wish to and they can keep that tip.

Have a great cruise.:)

OP is talking about room service, not the daily tips / service charges. I think it depends on what the cruise line uses as their currency. I think Princess charges in AUS$ (correct me if I'm wrong) so I would think you would use that. The others use US$ in their systems so you would use that for room service tips - anything from $1 to $5 depending on the size of the order.

You're going to love Australia - great people, gorgeous scenery. :)

SUN, DAWN & SEA operating in and out of Australia the on board currency is Aus $ . DIAMOND & OCEAN PRINCESS operating in Australian waters the on board currency is US $ .

Australian pax on SUN, DAWN , SEA tipping is included in fare (it is illegal iN Australia to quote a fare and then have hidden add ons.) . All other pax are charged the daily slug .

In tipping staff personally with cash on SUN, DAWN & SEA use Aus $ or US $ .

On DIAMOND & OCEAN tip with US $ for cash tips.

Thanks for clarifying, Sparky. Yes, I did mean room service like when you order a meal and have it brought to your room. As most have mentioned, the operating currency on the Dawn is AUS$. The general consensus is to use the operating currency. Guess we'll be buying some AUS$ in Sydney before we board. Thanks to everyone who replied. Sandy

I personally think although cruising on these ships...it would be OK to tip in US$ ...after-all staff travel all around the world and the US$ is accepted in many place throughout the world.

save the extra fees in change over $$$$ and spend that saved money here in OZ....lol!

Have a great time in the down under

B&B :)

I plan on taking the rest of the USD I have ($60-$80 I think), once that's gone I'll use AUD. I would ask which they prefer, but they'd probably just answer "whatever's most convenient for you". Of course, I'll be on a Royal Caribbean ship which operates in USD. I figure that the ship runs on USD so that's preferred, but the crew will probably need AUD if they go on shore, so I'm not gonna worry about it :)

Thanks for clarifying, Sparky. Yes, I did mean room service like when you order a meal and have it brought to your room. As most have mentioned, the operating currency on the Dawn is AUS$. The general consensus is to use the operating currency. Guess we'll be buying some AUS$ in Sydney before we board. Thanks to everyone who replied. Sandy

You will probably need some AUD for your ports of call. If it is convenient to you, it would probably suit the stewards better if you tip with AUD because they spend money when they go ashore. However, if that isn't convenient, I am sure they will happily accept USD.

Also be aware......as you usually tip a couple of dollars for room service....our $1 and $2 are actually gold coloured coins and not notes (like in the USA). Our notes start at $5.

Also be aware......as you usually tip a couple of dollars for room service....our $1 and $2 are actually gold coloured coins and not notes (like in the USA). Our notes start at $5.

Passengers can exchange notes for coins (and vice versa) at the reception (Purser's) desk.

Archived