Allure of the Seas - Air Conditioner Problems

Call me cynical....OP joins CC on Monday, has 3 posts, and not a nice thing to say about their cruise:confused: I can't fathom spending a week on a ship and having only that to focus on- it really does take all kinds. Hopefully their next cruise will be AC incident free;)

We have not experienced any of the issues that others have described.

No, I said that if you shut the door, the air conditioning should continue to function. I said NOT LOCKING THE DOOR turns off the air-conditioning is ECO STUPID. Your inability to grasp the stupidity of this is frustrating, as it is such a simple premise.

I know for a fact that the door had to shut and locked for the AC to run. We had a thermometer on our travel clock and the room was frequently 80-81 F. It would take a long time to cool down at night, never less than 73 F. My husband and I pay extra for the balcony to enjoy alone time just relaxing watching the ship sail, seeing the sunsets, etc. There was no way we could both be out there together and keep the AC going inside.

I shall bite my tongue on this one.

RCCL will lose money on this eventually as people, such as us, decide not to sail on the Oasis class. There are plenty of other ships to sail on.

Sailed both Oasis and Allure and never had an issue with AC and I'm sure we never locked each other outside. However I live in FL and never set my AC under 73-75 degrees normally, that would be too chilly for me. I wouldn't be able to afford my AC running all the time to keep up with that anyway!

Sailed both Oasis and Allure and never had an issue with AC and I'm sure we never locked each other outside. However I live in FL and never set my AC under 73-75 degrees normally, that would be too chilly for me. I wouldn't be able to afford my AC running all the time to keep up with that anyway!

That was my thought Living in Fort Lauderdale myself I've learned to live with the heat, I really don't think that this is going to be a major issue for us. We actually keep our house around 77 degrees and and get cold if its around 74 degrees.

Fair question...we got off a cruise and the people behind us were moaning and complaining about how they could not wait to be off the ship; worst week of their life, horrible food, lousy shows, rude staff,etc. We couldn't believe we were on the same sailing with them;) I believe that my vacation is what I make of it and my experience may not mirror your experience. So when I read a post like this I can't help but wonder about the poster's overall outlook(especially since two of the posts are about the balcony door) and the lack of balance.

No worries...hoping their next cruise does not have the same issue!

RCCL will lose money on this eventually as people, such as us, decide not to sail on the Oasis class. There are plenty of other ships to sail on.

The Allure of the Seas and Oasis of the Seas still appear to be sailing at or near capacity while also commanding premium prices for a mass market cruise line. I'm booked on the Allure of the Seas for December and there are plenty (and I do mean a LOT) of other ships that I could sail on for half the price, but I still picked the one that just happens to be the most expensive. Just to give you an idea at just two of the many alternatives I had looked at before booking I could have done 14-nts on Ruby Princess or 14-nts on the Carnival Breeze for the same price as 7-nights on Allure of the Seas.

We had a D2 on deck 11 on the Allure in June and never had that problem. We shut the door behind us while we were on the balcony. I had read about this happening before we left so I was looking out for it but it never happened in our cabin. I believe the longest I was on the balcony at one time was about an hour and when I went back inside it was still nice and cool.

Tina

The Allure of the Seas and Oasis of the Seas still appear to be sailing at or near capacity while also commanding premium prices for a mass market cruise line. I'm booked on the Allure of the Seas for December and there are plenty (and I do mean a LOT) of other ships that I could sail on for half the price, but I still picked the one that just happens to be the most expensive. Just to give you an idea at just two of the many alternatives I had looked at before booking I could have done 14-nts on Ruby Princess or 14-nts on the Carnival Breeze for the same price as 7-nights on Allure of the Seas.

In my case I did it for the experience, it is after al the largest cruise in the world. Not many people can say they been on it and I am talking about the people in this forum. It just fun to be able to do it and living in Ft. Lauderdale it was really simple for me to just book it and not think about any other expense.

But I do believe that a trip is what you make of it, if you go in with a bad attitude, you will have a bad time. But always travel to make the best of it, its your vacation and people should just have as much fun as possible.

But I do believe that a trip is what you make of it, if you go in with a bad attitude, you will have a bad time. But always travel to make the best of it, its your vacation and people should just have as much fun as possible.

I wholeheartedly agree. :D

Combined the Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas have been in operation (sailing with revenue passengers) for 230 weeks (Oasis 141 weeks and Allure 89 weeks).

Assuming they carried roughly 6,000 passengers each trip that comes to approximately one million three hundred and eighty thousand (1,380,000) people that have cruised on just these two ships. That number is staggering.

I'm guessing that the number of people that come away from being on an Oasis-class ship for a week do so with a pretty good attitude despite whatever minor flaws the ship may have had during their visit. I for one am looking forward to mine. Visit that is, not flaws. ;)

106 days and counting!

This is a repost from an August 3rd thead, the OP is Jeal:

my intent in posting was to let people know prior to their getting on the Oasis about the air conditioning issue that we experienced. I am including edited versions of both the email I sent to RCI and their response with the answer highlighted in red. Customer service confirmed the balcony door has to be in the locked position for the air conditioning to remain on. I hope this info helps anyone cruising on the Oasis.

My cruise information:

Booking ID: Not Specified

Ship: Oasis Of The Seas

Sail Date: 21/Jul/2012

Issue: First we loved our cruise. But, while on the cruise we had an issue with our cabin being cool enough. According to the hotel manager, maintenance supervisor, room steward supervisor and room steward we had to keep our balcony door in the locked position in order to keep the air conditioning on. That was frustrating and as a result we rarely went out on

the balcony and never sat out there since we wanted our room to be cool.I would like to know - does the balcony door have to be locked in order for the air conditioning to be on?

Dear Ms. xxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting Royal Caribbean International. As a Platinum member of our Crown & Anchor Society, you are very important to us. I am pleased to serve as your dedicated contact person and appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience on the Oasis of the Seas.

It is important that we offer accommodations that are comfortable and in good working order. I am concerned to learn of your experience with the temperature in your balcony room. All ships in the Royal Caribbean International fleet participate in the company's "Save The Waves" environmental program. The core of this program is to reduce the generation of waste material, reuse and recycle wherever possible, and properly dispose of remaining wastes.
The information provided by the onboard staff regarding the air conditioning for staterooms and suites with balconies is correct.

Sincerely,

Sarah

Customer Service Representative

On BOTH Oasis and Allure, it is just a poor design. We have tried ocean view, boardwalk and central park balconies and the "the balcony door must be locked for the AC compressor to work" was our experience in all of them.

August 3rd, 2012, 05:49 PM

I think the "it is just a poor design" can, and has been, argued. I have read threads on other boards where because one cabin leaves their balcony door open all night (sounds of the ocean, ocean breeze, etc) that it can, will, and has effected an entire block of cabins that were connected to the same a/c system.

I am not a die hard, dyed-in-the-wool environmentalist, but I think that the way RCI does it on the Oasis-class ships was the best way.

I think the "it is just a poor design" can, and has been, argued. I have read threads on other boards where because one cabin leaves their balcony door open all night (sounds of the ocean, ocean breeze, etc) that it can, will, and has effected an entire block of cabins that were connected to the same a/c system.

I am not a die hard, dyed-in-the-wool environmentalist, but I think that the way RCI does it on the Oasis-class ships was the best way.

This isn't about leaving the door open versus leaving it closed. This is about leaving it closed versus having to lock it. Nobody here is disagreeing that the door should have to be CLOSED for the AC to work. The problem is that the door has to be LOCKED for the AC to work.

This isn't about leaving the door open versus leaving it closed. This is about leaving it closed versus having to lock it. Nobody here is disagreeing that the door should have to be CLOSED for the AC to work. The problem is that the door has to be LOCKED for the AC to work.

It is incredible that so many cannot understand how incredibly stupid this is.

But, this is CC.:eek:

:DWE ARE TRAVELING IN A GRAND SUITE ON ALLURE 10/28 HAS ANYBODY HAD THIS PROBLEM IN A SUITE, WE ALWAYS CRUISE IN THE FALL WHEN ALL THE KIDS ARE BACK IN SCHOOL AND THE TEMPS ARE COOL AT NITE,MY WIFE IS THE REASON THEY DO THIS SHE LIKES TO SLEEP WITH THE BALCONY DOOR OPEN SO SHE CAN HEAR THE WATER...:eek:

:DWE ARE TRAVELING IN A GRAND SUITE ON ALLURE 10/28 HAS ANYBODY HAD THIS PROBLEM IN A SUITE, WE ALWAYS CRUISE IN THE FALL WHEN ALL THE KIDS ARE BACK IN SCHOOL AND THE TEMPS ARE COOL AT NITE,MY WIFE IS THE REASON THEY DO THIS SHE LIKES TO SLEEP WITH THE BALCONY DOOR OPEN SO SHE CAN HEAR THE WATER...:eek:

Check this LINK out.

I believe it is true of all BALCONIES regardless of what type of stateroom is behind the door!

Archived