Vancouver ????

Will be in Vancouver for just one night in two weeks. Unfortunately we don't arrive till late evening. We are staying at the Pan Pacific. Is it a short and safe walk at night to Gastown?

In the morning we would like to do the HOHO bus before getting on the cruise ship. Is one company better than the others? Do they all pick up at Canada Place?

I read earlier on this board about the alcohol store within walking distance of Pan Pacific. Could someone give me directions? Thanks!

Will be in Vancouver for just one night in two weeks. Unfortunately we don't arrive till late evening. We are staying at the Pan Pacific. Is it a short and safe walk at night to Gastown?

In the morning we would like to do the HOHO bus before getting on the cruise ship. Is one company better than the others? Do they all pick up at Canada Place?

I read earlier on this board about the alcohol store within walking distance of Pan Pacific. Could someone give me directions? Thanks!

I can't comment on the HoHos, although I see them all going past the office windows every day. As for the liquor store, the nearest one to Canada Place is on W.Cordova @ Seymour. Other options would be a) buy your duty free limit when you leave the USA (this will be a lot cheaper). Even though flights to Canada normally leave from US Domestic gates, generally duty free is available. Check with the airport, or b) there's a small liquor store in the airport (next to the 7-11) on the lowest level, one level down from the domestic baggage claims. While the airport liquor store is slightly more expensive (I actually went there on Monday when I was at the airport to compare prices as this question is asked a lot here), it's not a lot more, perhaps $1-2 on a bottle of wine.

Scott, not meaning to tread on your good advice but I hope mine helps you out as well.

If you can buy your liquor before coming at a Costco, Sam's Club, etc.

Because Canadian liquor stores are expensive and because most of us have little experience buying in the US few of us realize your warehouse clubs, supermarkets, etc. can be 20% cheaper than the duty frees.

The last 2 bottles of single malt I bought in a grocery supermarket in Marina Del Rey (where it should be more expensive) were both $10 cheaper than at the duty free.

While it won't work in Canada whenever I'm in a foreign port I ask the local guides where they buy. Picked up a bottle of single malt again at a local big box in St. Thomas that was $10 cheaper than the off ship duty frees and $11 cheaper than the on board duty free.

Also, if you're flying in and bringing your own liquor ask the service people where to declare your luggage. Most US airports have a dedicated screening service for people carrying liquor. If you don't they'll break open your luggage to check the bottle out as a precaution.

Scott, not meaning to tread on your good advice but I hope mine helps you out as well.

If you can buy your liquor before coming at a Costco, Sam's Club, etc.

Because Canadian liquor stores are expensive and because most of us have little experience buying in the US few of us realize your warehouse clubs, supermarkets, etc. can be 20% cheaper than the duty frees.

The last 2 bottles of single malt I bought in a grocery supermarket in Marina Del Rey (where it should be more expensive) were both $10 cheaper than at the duty free.

While it won't work in Canada whenever I'm in a foreign port I ask the local guides where they buy. Picked up a bottle of single malt again at a local big box in St. Thomas that was $10 cheaper than the off ship duty frees and $11 cheaper than the on board duty free.

Also, if you're flying in and bringing your own liquor ask the service people where to declare your luggage. Most US airports have a dedicated screening service for people carrying liquor. If you don't they'll break open your luggage to check the bottle out as a precaution.

Couple of comments on this;

1) You often need to compare the size of the bottle. Most liquor stores sell booze in 750mL sizing, but most duty-frees sell 1litre. Don't forget that extra 33%

2) Packing two 750mL bottles of wine in your luggage is going to add 6ish lbs to your luggage; plus the risk of breakage.

If I was driving across the border, I'd totally agree; at least with airport duty free, you can then carry on the bottle(s) as opposed to having to pack it.

It's a very short walk. As safe as anywhere . Be aware. Don't stray further east into the Main street or downtown east side areas.

We are considering the Days Inn for our Coastal Cruise Sept 2013, are there any stores nearby where you could buy a small coffee pot. Personally I can't figure out why my friend wants to invest in one then fly home with it when the cruise ship has plenty of coffee.:) This will be her first cruises and our DH's can't go so we are doing a ladies cruise. I am still looking at the hotels as I have heard good and bad on the Days Inn, but we don't want to spend 200 + for one night. She is on a tighter budget then I am. Thanks

All the hotels in Vancouver should supply you with coffee and an in room coffee maker. Also, coffee shops in Vancouver breed like the measles. Seattle has nothing on Vancouver when it comes to coffee.

If it's something your friend wants to take on board I can understand that as shipboard coffee can be pretty sour tasting (seems to me they make it out of a concentrate of some sort). On Princess I know if you buy the specialty coffee card (Good deal IMO) you can get freshly brewed coffee at no extra charge. (On an aside: I have friends that every time they go they visit a thrift shop and get a blender for a buck or two to make margharitas and then they leave the blender on board).

If you walk south on Granville St. to Georgia Street there's a London Drugs below the Scotia Bank building (SE corner). You should be able to get one there. It's only a couple of blocks.

Sorry for the confusion,I was referring to the cruise ship, I was letting her know, that we can get coffee first thing in the morning without her having to bring a coffee pot from home. I might even be able to ask our room steward if he can get us one for our room, which normally is for suite cabins. :).

I didn't know about the Coffee Card, our last cruise on Princess was in 2006 for the 17 day Panama. Thank you, will look into that card. She loves her coffee first thing after getting up, which my DH & I also like, so wanted to let her know, I would be happy to run up or down whatever the case may be to get our coffee.

The coffee card is only necessary if you want speciality coffees such as mochas or expresso if it is just regular coffee it is always available either in the buffet or room service.... 24/7

Just order your coffee the ngiht before by ticking the correct boxes and it will be delivered to your door at the requested time in the am enjoy your cruise

I should have added this too...

We Vancouverites LOVE our coffee so you will find lots of coffee shops all over - our Canadian one is called Tim Horton's and there are several along with several Starbucks scattered all over the downtown area of VAncovuer you will have no trouble finding one - they are on just about every corner - one brand or another - enjoy your stay in our lovely city.

Sorry for the confusion,I was referring to the cruise ship, I was letting her know, that we can get coffee first thing in the morning without her having to bring a coffee pot from home. I might even be able to ask our room steward if he can get us one for our room, which normally is for suite cabins. :).

I didn't know about the Coffee Card, our last cruise on Princess was in 2006 for the 17 day Panama. Thank you, will look into that card. She loves her coffee first thing after getting up, which my DH & I also like, so wanted to let her know, I would be happy to run up or down whatever the case may be to get our coffee.

If you're looking for a sublime cup of coffee in Vancouver, check out Caffé Artigiano there's a location at Howe & W.Hastings; just a couple of blocks from the port. It was started by a man who has won Canadian Barista of the Year, on multiple occasions.

I should have added this too...

We Vancouverites LOVE our coffee so you will find lots of coffee shops all over - our Canadian one is called Tim Horton's and there are several along with several Starbucks scattered all over the downtown area of VAncovuer you will have no trouble finding one - they are on just about every corner - one brand or another - enjoy your stay in our lovely city.

I particularly love the corner of West Pender and Thurlow with a Starbucks on one corner and Moon Pennies (get it? :D) on the other!

If you're looking for a sublime cup of coffee in Vancouver, check out Caffé Artigiano there's a location at Howe & W.Hastings; just a couple of blocks from the port. It was started by a man who has won Canadian Barista of the Year, on multiple occasions.

He also wrote an opera performed with solo singers by the VSO. He gave me a copy last time I was there for breakfast. (Scott: Correct me if it was the restaurant next door. I can't recall the name. I know I enjoy the music played there.)

Re: The Princess Coffee Card.

You can buy it at the specialty coffee shop in the Atrium. I find iced frappaccinos more thirst quenching than a beer. Works out to a bit over $2 per purchase which is about half what you'd pay at Starbuck's which is why I feel it's a good deal. As an added benefit, if you have the coffee card there's no extra charge if you order a freshly brewed regular coffee at the coffee bar which tastes much better than what they serve in the restaurants/buffetts IMO. As Happy pointed out the only reason to get the coffee card is if you want specialty coffees. Coffee everywhere else is no extra charge.

scottbee, I think the Holiday will be a little North but will look for it. It looks like the Holiday is at Howe near Nelson St by the maps. I love frappuccinos, but haven't had an iced one, usually the mochas. One question anyone have an opinion on the Days Inn on Pender, seeing mixed reviews but the location is great

Not certain why you want to buy a coffee maker, however....

London Drugs (on Granville) (http://www.londondrugs.ca/) will have bodum coffee press as well as small coffee machines and bigger machines etc. From $20 and up. The Bay Department store and Sears are also at that intersection, they should both have a small appliance department. (About a 10 min walk).

Other options include: Future Shop www.futureshop.ca and pickup at the store).

em-sk, as it stands right now, my friend said she will hold off on the coffee pot, since this is her first cruise, she didn't realize how easy it was to get some. She loves her coffee first thing in the AM when she gets up and I told her, I would run down and get some for the both of us while she is getting ready.:)

Thank you for the two links, will check them out and we can always go down and get one after we get into Vancouver.

I particularly love the corner of West Pender and Thurlow with a Starbucks on one corner and Moon Pennies (get it? :D) on the other!

We're losing a landmark in Vancouver, they're closing one of the two Starbucks at the intersection of Robson & Thurlow http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/04/starbucks-robson-closing-no-more-2-in-one-corner/

We are considering the Days Inn for our Coastal Cruise Sept 2013, are there any stores nearby where you could buy a small coffee pot. Personally I can't figure out why my friend wants to invest in one then fly home with it when the cruise ship has plenty of coffee.:) This will be her first cruises and our DH's can't go so we are doing a ladies cruise. I am still looking at the hotels as I have heard good and bad on the Days Inn, but we don't want to spend 200 + for one night. She is on a tighter budget then I am. Thanks

You have received good advice where to purchase a coffee maker (remember Princess syrup coffee does leave a lot to be desired). So on to hotels....the Days Inn is a remake of a very old hotel that used to be called the Abbottsford, I worked in the building next door in 1964 and it was old then. I have no idea of you dates but right now on Hotwire for the first week of September they are showing a 4* for $126 which is likely the Sheraton at the Wall Centre and a 5* for $152 which is likely the Sutton Place....I suspect those rates compare very favourably with the Days Inn. That said the Days Inn will work just fine for a night or two.

Hello Putterdude, our cruise is Sept 22nd 2013, so we will fly in on the 21st. Although the Days Inn has received nice reports because of its location, the complaints are for the small and dark rooms. I then focused on the Holiday at 110 Howe St and thinking of moving closer to the cruise terminal and restaurants & shops on Robson St . I am even considering the Hyatt. One problem with the Hyatt and Holiday, they are prepaid Hotels. For one night we don't need anything fancy for two ladies but am thinking we would be better closer to the restaurants and shops. My friend can't walk long distances, in fact I asked her about her ability of standing in the cruise terminal and she felt she would be ok.

Des,

Everything mentioned so far is quite compact. The Hyatt is about half way between the Blue Horizon and the terminal which means they are about 3 or 4 blocks apart.

You'd walk 2 short blocks south to Robson Street for shopping and restaurants and 2 long blocks east to the Pacific Centre which is the largest (high end) shopping mall downtown (2 city blocks in length on two floors). The PC has food courts.

If price is an issue check this little gem right behind the Pacific Centre mall. Given a choice between the Hyatt and Le Soleil I stay at Le Soleil (but that's me). It's certainly not as large as the Hyatt but if they have a special on!!!!!!!

http://www.hotellesoleil.com/

Just did a Kayak search on hotels.

There's a $100 difference between the Blue Horizon and Le Soleil so the Hyatt will be even more.

The Blue Horizon puts you right on Robson but just where all the foot traffic starts to drop off.

Archived