Capt of Diamond Princess reveals new Grand Class ship's name

Gateman1997

My girlfriend and I just completed a cruise on Diamond Princess to Alaska and the captain revealed a nice tidbit that Cruise Critic has yet to pick up. The next Grand Class ship coming in 2007 after Crown Princess will be named the California Princess.

There seems to be confusion with this - from princess.com

4/15/2005

Princess to Name Next "Gem" Emerald Princess

Sister Ship to Crown Princess and Caribbean Princess will Debut in Spring 2007

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (April 15, 2005) - Princess Cruises' next new ship will be named Emerald Princess when she debuts in Spring 2007. Sister ship to Caribbean Princess and the upcoming Crown Princess, the 116,000-ton vessel will be constructed at Italy's Fincantieri shipyards.

"We're very pleased to be able to welcome another sparkling gem to our fleet," said Jan Swartz, Princess' senior vice president of customer service and sales. "Emerald Princess will continue the hallmark Princess features that have made our Grand Class of ships so popular among passengers."

Emerald Princess will include the many innovations that define the Princess experience, including the dramatic Movies Under the Stars poolside movie screen, multiple dining and entertainment options, Personal Choice Dining featuring traditional or Anytime seating, a variety of alternative restaurants, a relaxing Asian-style Lotus Spa with fitness center, an extensive children and teen's center, a wedding chapel and nearly 900 staterooms with private balconies

?????????

My girlfriend and I just completed a cruise on Diamond Princess to Alaska and the captain revealed a nice tidbit that Cruise Critic has yet to pick up. The next Grand Class ship coming in 2007 after Crown Princess will be named the California Princess.

Interesting...we just returned from the Caribbean Princess and Captain Romano revealed that the new ship would be named the Emerald Princess - which I believe has also been stated on the Princess website. ;)

Gateman

That California Princess possibility was beaten to death here on Cruise Critic about a month ago.

Well I'm just telling you what the captain said. He said it's California Princess again and that quote from him, "it's about time too."

I have a feeling they're going back and forth on this. Plus he also mentioned that the ??? Princess is slated to come out after California Princess so maybe that is the one being named Emerald or vice versa?

If it's in the Diamond Class then it's more likely to be Emerald since they already have Diamond and Sapphire (the whole gem thing) if it's in the same class as Carribean and Crown then it's more likely to be California.

It has been beat to death hasnt it. :D

I hope is not named after a state.

I don't think it would be that bad. After Alaska, CA is probably the most beautiful state and it is the home state of Princess Cruises.

The captain and his crew seemed genuinely pleased with the California name choice. They were also really excited about the Crown.

I hate to say the Captain of a ship is incorrect, but the information you were given sounds off. I don’t think Princess has more than Crown and Emerald in the building docks.

I hate to say the Captain of a ship is incorrect, but the information you were given sounds off. I don’t think Princess has more than Crown and Emerald in the building docks.

Well he said they have 3 coming so I'm hoping the captain of the line's flagship is being kept up to speed. His future cruise director also confirmed it. So unless Princess is in the habit of keeping their flagship crew in the dark I'd say we have 3 ships coming, Crown, California/Emerald, and ??? (Possibly California or Emerald depending on ship 2's name).

Also what was interesting about their own press release is that they say "Emerald" is a 116,000 ton vessel which would make it the same weight as Diamond and Sapphire... not Crown and Carribean which are lighter ships. The captain of Diamond said California is going to be in the same class as Crown and Carribean not Diamond. He also said ??? Princess has a name internally but not one they can speak about in the open.

Also what was interesting about their own press release is that they say "Emerald" is a 116,000 ton vessel which would make it the same weight as Diamond and Sapphire... not Crown and Carribean which are lighter ships.

Aren't Crown and Caribbean 116,000 ton vessels, and Diamond and Sapphire 113,000 tons?

Yes, I realize that :) The OP stated the newbuild at 116,000 tons was the same size as the Diamond and Sapphire Princess and that the Crown and Caribbean were smaller. I was just pointing out that it is in fact the Crown and Caribbean Princess that are 116,000 tons and the Diamond and Sapphire Princess are smaller.

What gives one the impression that Diamond Princess is the flagship of the fleet? Last time I checked, that honor belonged to Royal Princess. She's still in the fleet for a few more weeks anyway.

BTW, I am disappointed with the selection of another "jewel" name. I was hoping to see Royal or Regal re-appointed to one of the new ships. Have to maintain tradition some how, afterall.

The extra deck on Caribbean Princess adds a lot more than 3,000 GRT equivalent volume. The removal of the enclosed conservatory in favor of the open space where MUTS is installed subtracts substantially from the total. If that space were enclosed, I estimate the ship would measure out around 125,000 GRT.

Yes, I realize that :) The OP stated the newbuild at 116,000 tons was the same size as the Diamond and Sapphire Princess and that the Crown and Caribbean were smaller. I was just pointing out that it is in fact the Crown and Caribbean Princess that are 116,000 tons and the Diamond and Sapphire Princess are smaller.

I just got off Diamond. Unless Princess enjoys lying in multiple publications Diamond and Sapphire are the heaviest and biggest girls in the fleet. Trust Princess more then CruiseCritic for ship sizes.

Oh, but more importantly Gateman...how was the cruise? I really don't care what they call the next 10 ships, my interest is much more immediate :D (3 weeks to go!)

Other then friday it was outstanding, we had 12 foot swells on Friday and because Diamond is so big she doesn't roll with the weather she plows through it and you get 5 second interval pounding vibrations. After 12 hours it got REAL old. But besides that... Food was supurb especially in the Santa Fe dining room. The weather was almost too warm for Alaska (80 degrees in Juneau) and the staff was great, especially the comedian and the purveyor of the Limochelo drinks Alek from Poland. The shows were awesome, pools were fun to partake in and Skywalkers lounge was the secret gem of the ship. No one ever goes up to Deck 18 and we would spend hours whale watching up there.

That sounds great! I hope we are fortunate enough to have such nice weather. I'll happily skip those seas you had coming back in! I have to ask though, what are Limochelo drinks???? And finally, how was disembarkation on Saturday? Thanks!!!!

That sounds great! I hope we are fortunate enough to have such nice weather. I'll happily skip those seas you had coming back in! I have to ask though, what are Limochelo drinks???? And finally, how was disembarkation on Saturday? Thanks!!!!

Lemonchello is a brand of Italian lemon cordial. We first had it in Amalfi and LOVED it. On Princess they usually send pretty girls around the dining room to sell it as an after dinner drink (you get to keep the cordial glass). Most bars have it as well, try it once, it's delicious.;)

Lemonchello is a brand of Italian lemon cordial. We first had it in Amalfi and LOVED it. On Princess they usually send pretty girls around the dining room to sell it as an after dinner drink (you get to keep the cordial glass). Most bars have it as well, try it once, it's delicious.;)

You had women give it to you :O

I feel robbed ;)

Nah seriously though the guy who gave it to us was great. We got 5 shots for free so I wasn't going to complain.

Archived