Which line would you choose - Carnival or NCL?

i like to start some research for a future cruise.....one with an embarkation port near me for the convenience. Carnival and ncl have ships sailing from nyc, but i am a little concerned as those are the two lines that i frequently read the "never again" remarks.

Have any of you royal cruisers sailed on carnival and/or ncl? Which line will you say is similar to the royal experience in terms of food, service and entertainment? Any major differences between the three lines? From what i can tell so far is that ship decor/ color scheme is very different. If it makes any difference the two ships that i am considering is the splendor from carnival and the gem from ncl.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

neither....... Only royal

I like to start some research for a future cruise.....one with an embarkation port near me for the convenience. Carnival and NCL have ships sailing from NYC, but I am a little concerned as those are the two lines that I frequently read the "never again" remarks.

Have any of you Royal cruisers sailed on Carnival and/or NCL? Which line will you say is similar to the Royal experience in terms of food, service and entertainment? Any major differences between the three lines? From what I can tell so far is that ship decor/ color scheme is very different. If it makes any difference the two ships that I am considering is the Splendor from Carnival and the Gem from NCL.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

We've sailed both lines and here are my impressions:

Food

Much better on NCL. They really have the my time dining concept down pat. Also their buffet was hot and had a better variety of foods. MDRs were close but I give the edge to NCL since our last 3 Carnival cruises we always had at least one meal that was not very good.Also, good luck getting a good steak on Carnival ships without specialty restaurants. You can't. All you can get is their flat iron steak which is akin to shoe leather. Disgustingly cheap cut of meat that one of my waiters on the Carnival Liberty actually suggest that I NOT order. First time that ever happened to me in any restaurant.

Entertainment:

Not even close. Carnival does have the comedy club and I give them kudos there but it ends right there. No live bands on deck, no professional entertainment in the theatre just amateur hour with their singers and dancers. NCL is much like RCI in that they bring in professional entertainers and they do a good job.

Ship

NCL ships look nicer IMHO. Carnival ships have the glitzy 1970's Vegas look and many of their ships are laid out the same way. Gets pretty boring once you've been on more than a couple of them. Also the pool deck on Carnival is a sorry excuse for a pool deck. To me I think Carnival believes the highlight of the pool deck is the big screen TV. The pools are far too small and overcrowded. NCL looks like they put a lot of thought and attention into the pool area like RCI.

Long story short - if you are a big RCI fan, you'll be better suited for a NCL cruise then Carnival.

I've only sailed on Carnival once, have a few NCL cruises under my belt now and will be sailing RCCL for the first time next year. I can tell you that the Gem is a beautiful ship and a lot of fun. I don't think that you'll be disappointed. There's a particular cruise director (Sinan Ulucay) that will amp up the laughs if you're fortunate enough to sail with him. :) Happy sailing!

The only way to know for sure is to try them both. No matter what the other folks seem to like and for some reason they seem to favor NCL only you can tell what is right for you.

This is so true. To each his own. No two cruise experiences will ever be the same even on the same ship as cruise staff, activities, food, what's included, etc. change. Ships will age. I've been on one ship one time and liked it but another time didn't like it because the ship was falling apart.

It is important to figure out what you like and expect in a cruise. I've experienced positives and negatives with every cruiseline. But by experiencing different ships and itineraries I know what I like.

If cost is a major factor, I have found Carnival to be the most economical. I personally think the shows and food are pretty similar on the cruises. The only cruiseline whose shows that stand out for me are the ones on the Disney ships.

I have looked into doing both the Gem and Splendor and have seen both ships docked in NYC. The Gem looks nicer in my opinion, but I think one of the main things you should consider while deciding between the two ships is whether or not you like the freestyle dining that NCL has. I had a bad experience with it on one of my NCL ships (the Wind), that it turned me off to it. When my sister picked to sail on the Spirit, I was really hesitant, but fortunately had a good experience to help take away from my negative experience on the Wind (which was definitely one of the worst ships I have encountered and of course it is no longer sailing as an NCL ship).

I love cruises and will sail on any line that fits my budget, my schedule and my choice of itinerary.

By the way,I see you were interested in the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Swim. I just did it on my Disney cruise at the beginning of August. Great experience.

As an ex-employee with Carnival, I love that company. I wanted to learn more about the industry and I went to work for RCCL. I think that the food on NCL is not as good as Carnival. They do not use the same food guidance as we do. and NCL has their own adminstration and they are under the Princess Lines. I took a princess cruise last year. I was so disapointed along with 400 canadians with us too, us americans. We did the best we could but it was nothing like RCCL the quality and the superb feeling of people on this ship as well as us on RCCl We are the most caring ship out there. I think that the other lines do not take pride with their employees, and do not care how they are treated or taken care of, in our ship we did all we coudl do for our group. We are stronger and better at what we do.

so if i had a choice and it was not RCCl... it would be Carnival over NCL any day.

As an ex-employee with Carnival, I love that company. I wanted to learn more about the industry and I went to work for RCCL. I think that the food on NCL is not as good as Carnival. They do not use the same food guidance as we do. and NCL has their own adminstration and they are under the Princess Lines. I took a princess cruise last year. I was so disapointed along with 400 canadians with us too, us americans. We did the best we could but it was nothing like RCCL the quality and the superb feeling of people on this ship as well as us on RCCl We are the most caring ship out there. I think that the other lines do not take pride with their employees, and do not care how they are treated or taken care of, in our ship we did all we coudl do for our group. We are stronger and better at what we do.

so if i had a choice and it was not RCCl... it would be Carnival over NCL any day.

An Ex CCL employee should know that Princess is part of Carnival Corp. :confused:

OP, I am platinum with Carnival and was once a very loyal CCL cruiser, however the line doesn't even resemble what it once was back in the 90's/early 2000. Many cuts have been made under the new CEO (who used to be the CFO) and the changes in staffing and entertainment are more than noteable.

I have sailed NCL 5 times now and each of my NCL's cruises surprises me in how awesomely different from CCL (and even Royal) in terms of crew/service. I am not saying that service on Carnival or Royal is bad....ours has always been excellent, but NCL crew are just different in a way I can't put my finger on and they keep us coming back for more.

Entertainment on NCL far exceeds what CCL now offers plus NCL does have a LOT of dining options which are wonderful and you can't get bored with food offerings or venues because there is much to choose from.

My vote, even though I still think Carnival is a good cruise, would be NCL which to me is a better cruise.

Have fun whichever you choose :)

An Ex CCL employee should know that Princess is part of Carnival Corp. :confused:

OP, I am platinum with Carnival and was once a very loyal CCL cruiser, owever the line doesn't even resemble what it once was back in the 90's/early 2000. Many cuts have been made under the new CEO (who used to be the CFO) and the changes in staffing and entertainment are more than noteable.

I have sailed NCL 5 times now and each of my NCL's cruises surprises me in how awesomely different from CCL (and even Royal) in terms of crew/service. I am not saying that service on Carnival or Royal is bad....ours has always been excellent, but NCL crew are just different in a way I can't put my finger on and they keep us coming back for more.

Entertainment on NCL far exceeds what CCL now offers plus NCL does have a LOT of dining options which are wonderful and you can't get bored with food offerings or venues because there is much to choose from.

My vote, even though I still think Carnival is a good cruise, would be NCL which to me is a better cruise.

Have fun whichever you choose :)

You said a mouthful there Halos. ;)

OP: I personally would go with NCL, but that's only because I have cruised with CCL many times and want to try something new. I've never been on NCL.

You really can't go wrong with Carnival though, and there are many things I actually like better on CCL than on RCI:

Generally lower fares

More US based ships (more itinerary options)

Better MDR food IMO

Carnival Supper Clubs (steakhouses, similar to Chops)

More lively night life

More casual, festive atmosphere

one and done on NCL for us for several reasons based upon our alaskan sailing on the Star.

1) Food in MDR for dinner was awful. We're not picky eaters. When we questioned the waitstaff as to alternate offerings were told "they weren't any better":rolleyes:. Anytime dining may have had something to do with the level of service during dinner. Breakfast was decent both in MDR and buffet though. Thank God for the ample supply of OOP restaurants and the chicken wings in the cadillac lounge!

2) Staff very unprofessional on NCL imo. I assume tongue in cheek comments but several announcements as to how the crew was the bottom of the NCL barrel. The joke bandied about often by staff when addressing guests was the ship was the last berth before they got fired, I was not amused. However, the entertainers were heads & shoulders above CCL.

3) We had to book a mini suite to have a sofabed:confused:which wasn't any larger than standard veranda CCL cabin i've had. CCL has nice sized standard cabins and the aft wrap balconies are great.

4) I called NCL to cancel an excursion I had booked thru them a week prior to sailing. Something made me check my reservation online 5 days before we sailed....my entire reservations was cancelled!!! I had booked thru a TA so it was nerve wracking to go thru a 3rd party to straighten it out. Turned out the NCL rep I spoke to hit the wrong button!?! and cancelled the whole sailing. They were able to find us another cabin and threw an OBC and specialty dinner but I still shudder thinking what a nightmare it'd have been to show up in Seattle and be told, sorry ship's sold out.

When I pull up the handful of finalists as to upcoming cruise selections to run past my better half, he immediately makes sure NCL isn't on the short list. This coming from a man who sailed for years on an aircraft carrier courtesy of uncle sam and says it was fun.

that said, i'm not happy with CCL's tweaking the past guest program, one of the reasons we're trying out RCCL in January.

Been on all 3 lines. Food, service, entertainment....all in favor of NCL. Royal and Carnival have a similar feel. Carnival does better than Royal with the free dinng venues. Royal is better with entertainment. Still, neither comes close to Norwegian....especially with Freestyle

That said, it's been a couple of years since i've sailed Carnival. My last cruise in May was on Allure.

one and done on NCL for us for several reasons based upon our alaskan sailing on the Star.

1) Food in MDR for dinner was awful. We're not picky eaters. When we questioned the waitstaff as to alternate offerings were told "they weren't any better":rolleyes:. Anytime dining may have had something to do with the level of service during dinner. Breakfast was decent both in MDR and buffet though. Thank God for the ample supply of OOP restaurants and the chicken wings in the cadillac lounge!

2) Staff very unprofessional on NCL imo. I assume tongue in cheek comments but several announcements as to how the crew was the bottom of the NCL barrel. The joke bandied about often by staff when addressing guests was the ship was the last berth before they got fired, I was not amused. However, the entertainers were heads & shoulders above CCL.

3) We had to book a mini suite to have a sofabed:confused:which wasn't any larger than standard veranda CCL cabin i've had. CCL has nice sized standard cabins and the aft wrap balconies are great.

4) I called NCL to cancel an excursion I had booked thru them a week prior to sailing. Something made me check my reservation online 5 days before we sailed....my entire reservations was cancelled!!! I had booked thru a TA so it was nerve wracking to go thru a 3rd party to straighten it out. Turned out the NCL rep I spoke to hit the wrong button!?! and cancelled the whole sailing. They were able to find us another cabin and threw an OBC and specialty dinner but I still shudder thinking what a nightmare it'd have been to show up in Seattle and be told, sorry ship's sold out.

When I pull up the handful of finalists as to upcoming cruise selections to run past my better half, he immediately makes sure NCL isn't on the short list. This coming from a man who sailed for years on an aircraft carrier courtesy of uncle sam and says it was fun.

that said, i'm not happy with CCL's tweaking the past guest program, one of the reasons we're trying out RCCL in January.

I agree with you about the food in the MDR on NCL. Very weak. Their lido dining was the worst that I have experienced of any cruise line. Carnival was better in that area by a long shot but they fail in most other areas IMHO. Neither are as good as RCI in total comparison IMHO.

You said a mouthful there Halos. ;)

LMAO...Don't I always??? :p

OP, as you can see, there is a mixed bag of opinions here. The best advice anyone could give is to try all the lines. None are horrible so you have nothign to lose.

Have fun sampling!!!!! :D

OP, as you can see, there is a mixed bag of opinions here. The best advice anyone could give is to try all the lines. None are horrible so you have nothign to lose.

I agree totally! I love threads like this one, since obviously the opinions are going to be all over the place. Everyone has different taste in food, entertainment, etc., and there's no way that anyone can say that one line is *better* than another!

We enjoy all the lines we've cruised with, and judge them on their own merit. #6 on Carnival in November, and then back on Celebrity next year.

OP, we've been on the Splendor twice. Nice ship, especially if you like pink! :D

LMAO...Don't I always??? :p

I concur. IMHO, you have to try really hard to have a "bad cruise".

And, the one thing I notice here, regardless of cruise line, if you "ding" someone else's preferred cruise line, be prepared for an onslaught.;)

RCI, NCL, and CCL are in the same market segment. If you like one, you'll probably like all three. They are more alike, than different. But they try to differentiate themselves from the other two, so there are differences. CCL touts "fun ships", NCL touts "freestyle", RCI markets toward "active". In the end, it comes to your individual preferences.

As far as "cutbacks" go, you will find complaints about cutbacks on all three lines if you read the individual boards. They are corporations and are looking to cut costs and maximize profits. They will cut until the marketplace rebels by taking their cruise $ elsewhere.

Princess, HAL, and Celebrity also sail out of NYC. They target a more "upscale" experience. I sailed Princess and liked them a lot. I am not a foodie, but found their food and dining experience to be better than the three mass market competitors.

Archived