Ports review from 8/7-14 Carnival Spirit

PattiPB

I just submitted a lengthy review from our cruise. Here is the section on the ports we visited:

PORT INFORMATION---The good stuff!!! Our weather was, to quote Captain Golpi “zee veather…eeeet eeessss, vell………yucky.” CD kept saying “put on your coat and hat and get out there”! So, we did. The air is different. It tastes different. It feels different. The scenery is unreal. It was the worst weather vacation of my life, and you know what we did? WE GOT OUT THERE!!! That is my single most important recommendation for anyone.

Tracy Arm Fjord: Nothing can prepare you for the experience. Moving gently through a narrow passage with binoculars in hand was surreal. Thanks to the naturalist, we saw sea otters, bald eagles and a black bear. We watched and heard the glacier calving. We ran like kids back and forth from one side of the ship to the other so we wouldn’t miss an iceberg float gently by. My parents were able to relax on the balcony as waterfalls and icebergs rushed by them. Sis and her people did the excursion boat to get closer to the glacier. They LOVED it, and highly recommend the experience. Got very close to shore---and the black bear, and had a small iceberg brought on board to see and touch. Magical day.

Skagway: All ten of us did the White Pass & Yukon Railway (3-hour train both ways). The tracks right next to the ship worked great for my Pop. They even golf carted him right to his desired traincar. Great scenery and overall experience---highly recommend it for extended families to enjoy something together that is not overly taxing. Later in the day went shopping in Skagway. A very quaint town that gives an interesting perspective on how early settlers managed.

Juneau: Whale watching!!!! Booked a private excursion (Harv & Marv thanks to CC) just for my family of five. Can’t say enough about the experience! Having a small boat was great, especially because we could decide where to go and what to do. Saw four different glaciers while out in Steven’s Passage. Visited with some sea lions on a buoy, and came across a large group of whales. Saw many backs and tails in a small area from very close to us. They were, literally, heading in our direction, so our boat just sat there and watched the magnificent show. We were comfortable in the boat, and it was a magical experience for us. Visit to Mendenhall Glacier for 40 minutes afterwards was wonderful. Never enough time, but it was just a glorious location and unbelievable scenery. Sis and family got a great view from the top of the Mt. Roberts Tram, and enjoyed some light hiking from there which they recommended very highly.

Ketchikan: Nothing scheduled, so we got the walking tour map and hit the (small) town! Loved the walk, seeing the salmon running, Creek Street and especially the totem poles. We really enjoyed walking around, and were stunned when a local fisherman handed Mom his pole and taught her how to reel in what had to be a 10 pound pink salmon!!!! She reeled it in, and he had her take it from the hook and carry it to his cooler while dozens of tourists watched and took pictures. She was laughing, crying and shaking it was so exciting. Don’t ask me why he did it, or how he picked her out of the crowd, but it will live forever as one of our most vivid lifetime memories of my mother. He wouldn’t take a penny from us, and just kept saying “She looked like she would enjoy it! She had fun, right?” The single best Ambassador of any location we have ever visited. Ketchikan will always be considered the friendliest city in the world to us.

Victoria: What a frustrating place!!! Dock at 7:30 and out by midnight? Everything closes at 6 pm? Really, Carnival!?!?!?! It’s a beautiful town and we enjoyed walking around. Volunteer Ambassadors were on hand upon debarkation, gave us maps and guidance. Taxi ($9) downtown was quick, and we thoroughly enjoyed their tourist corridor. Don’t miss walking through the Empress Hotel and grounds---so lovely.

Hope this helps somebody! I read reviews voraciously before a cruise, so I wanted to give back~

Thank you so much for your interesting review. I am so sorry the weather was not better, but the scenery is magnificent, isn't it. Since some of your party went on the Juneau tram, the weather must have been better there. It is so nice when people post their reviews. Thank you, again!

I just submitted a lengthy review from our cruise. Here is the section on the ports we visited:

PORT INFORMATION---The good stuff!!! Our weather was, to quote Captain Golpi “zee veather…eeeet eeessss, vell………yucky.” CD kept saying “put on your coat and hat and get out there”! So, we did. The air is different. It tastes different. It feels different. The scenery is unreal. It was the worst weather vacation of my life, and you know what we did? WE GOT OUT THERE!!! That is my single most important recommendation for anyone.

Tracy Arm Fjord: Nothing can prepare you for the experience. Moving gently through a narrow passage with binoculars in hand was surreal. Thanks to the naturalist, we saw sea otters, bald eagles and a black bear. We watched and heard the glacier calving. We ran like kids back and forth from one side of the ship to the other so we wouldn’t miss an iceberg float gently by. My parents were able to relax on the balcony as waterfalls and icebergs rushed by them. Sis and her people did the excursion boat to get closer to the glacier. They LOVED it, and highly recommend the experience. Got very close to shore---and the black bear, and had a small iceberg brought on board to see and touch. Magical day.

Skagway: All ten of us did the White Pass & Yukon Railway (3-hour train both ways). The tracks right next to the ship worked great for my Pop. They even golf carted him right to his desired traincar. Great scenery and overall experience---highly recommend it for extended families to enjoy something together that is not overly taxing. Later in the day went shopping in Skagway. A very quaint town that gives an interesting perspective on how early settlers managed.

Juneau: Whale watching!!!! Booked a private excursion (Harv & Marv thanks to CC) just for my family of five. Can’t say enough about the experience! Having a small boat was great, especially because we could decide where to go and what to do. Saw four different glaciers while out in Steven’s Passage. Visited with some sea lions on a buoy, and came across a large group of whales. Saw many backs and tails in a small area from very close to us. They were, literally, heading in our direction, so our boat just sat there and watched the magnificent show. We were comfortable in the boat, and it was a magical experience for us. Visit to Mendenhall Glacier for 40 minutes afterwards was wonderful. Never enough time, but it was just a glorious location and unbelievable scenery. Sis and family got a great view from the top of the Mt. Roberts Tram, and enjoyed some light hiking from there which they recommended very highly.

Ketchikan: Nothing scheduled, so we got the walking tour map and hit the (small) town! Loved the walk, seeing the salmon running, Creek Street and especially the totem poles. We really enjoyed walking around, and were stunned when a local fisherman handed Mom his pole and taught her how to reel in what had to be a 10 pound pink salmon!!!! She reeled it in, and he had her take it from the hook and carry it to his cooler while dozens of tourists watched and took pictures. She was laughing, crying and shaking it was so exciting. Don’t ask me why he did it, or how he picked her out of the crowd, but it will live forever as one of our most vivid lifetime memories of my mother. He wouldn’t take a penny from us, and just kept saying “She looked like she would enjoy it! She had fun, right?” The single best Ambassador of any location we have ever visited. Ketchikan will always be considered the friendliest city in the world to us.

Victoria: What a frustrating place!!! Dock at 7:30 and out by midnight? Everything closes at 6 pm? Really, Carnival!?!?!?! It’s a beautiful town and we enjoyed walking around. Volunteer Ambassadors were on hand upon debarkation, gave us maps and guidance. Taxi ($9) downtown was quick, and we thoroughly enjoyed their tourist corridor. Don’t miss walking through the Empress Hotel and grounds---so lovely.

Hope this helps somebody! I read reviews voraciously before a cruise, so I wanted to give back~

My husband and I felt the same way about Victoria, we took a tour of the Butchart Gardens and some of the town and I was so rushed. We really wanted to stay longer. Its so beautiful there and we wanted to see more.. maybe next time ...

Thank you we will be on the Spirit tomorrow. Bought everyone raincoats so hopefully the weather will be goods as I did that. So they can all so I told you so when we don't need them. Thanks again can' t wait

Archived