Everything Breakaway!(LIVE on 4/28)

loungerz

Thanks for the update and map. We'll be watching.

Yep, I really hope someone gets some quality shots of the front end of the ship, specifically where the deck 8 balconies are. I'm still so curious as to exactly how the glass dividers will look (frosted, or clear?) on those big M6 balconies. In the last sets of photos that were taken by Andreas & others, it looked like he glass panels were stacked/leaning on on the balconies but had yet to be installed into the dividing frames. Seeing as how conveyance is almost here, I'd imagine that glass has already been finished.

It's fun to look at the conveyance map route on Google Earth. Miles upriver is a heckuva place to put a shipyard, tho perhaps relatively immune from tides and waves. I wonder when/if they will hit a maximum ship size before they have to start widening or straigtening the Ems river - if they haven't already. It's about 11.5 crow fly miles out to the Dollart area (bay?) on the map, if they want to cut a straight canal - plus likely some additional dredging in the Dollart area.

Can you give me the location you put in google earth to find it. Thank you!!

Can you give me the location you put in google earth to find it. Thank you!!

Just search for Papenburg. Meyer Werft is to the North West of the town and can be clearly seen by the big buildings. It was marked on the map when I looked.

Edit: In fact, just search for Meyer Werft.

Yep, I really hope someone gets some quality shots of the front end of the ship, specifically where the deck 8 balconies are. I'm still so curious as to exactly how the glass dividers will look (frosted, or clear?) on those big M6 balconies. In the last sets of photos that were taken by Andreas & others, it looked like he glass panels were stacked/leaning on on the balconies but had yet to be installed into the dividing frames. Seeing as how conveyance is almost here, I'd imagine that glass has already been finished.

I guess it will be unknown untill the conveyance, at the shipyard there's nothing high enough to get some photo's from above. On the river are some bridges (seen some pics of a nearly fitting AIDA ship and a bridge :D) and the embankments of the river which hopefully will provide us with better pictures of the higher decks.

Just search for Papenburg. Meyer Werft is to the North West of the town and can be clearly seen by the big buildings. It was marked on the map when I looked.

Edit: In fact, just search for Meyer Werft.

Wow. I used to live in Andervenne near Lingen which is just south of Paderborn on the Ems. I wish I had known there was a big ship yard there. I would have gone to see the ships. This was in 1992 so there might not of been cruise shops, but would have still been fun.

It's fun to look at the conveyance map route on Google Earth. Miles upriver is a heckuva place to put a shipyard, tho perhaps relatively immune from tides and waves. I wonder when/if they will hit a maximum ship size before they have to start widening or straigtening the Ems river - if they haven't already. It's about 11.5 crow fly miles out to the Dollart area (bay?) on the map, if they want to cut a straight canal - plus likely some additional dredging in the Dollart area.

Well after Breakaway and Getaway they have got the two RCI ships which are bigger ones!

Well after Breakaway and Getaway they have got the two RCI ships which are bigger then bigger still the Breakaway Plus ones!

If I am correct the Disney ships are larger than that and both of them were built there.

If I am correct the Disney ships are larger than that and both of them were built there.

Nope, in order of size and * = Meyr werft

1-3) RCI Oasis class (Oasis, Allure, and the new one) 225,000 tonnes

*4-5) RCI Sunshine Class (Quantum and Anthem - largest at build Meyr Werft when built) 166,500 tonnes

*6-7) Norwegian Breakaway Plus class 163,000 tonnes

8) Norwegian Epic (156,000)

9-11) RCI Freedom class (Freedom, Liberty, Indy) 154,000

12) Queen Mary

*13-14) Breakaway Class (Breakaway and Getaway) (largest Meyr werft at build time) 144,000

Largest Disney ship is way down the list in the 20s at 130,000 tonnes

Although Breakaway plus will be widest built at Meyr Werft by 0.4M more than Quantum, and about 1.5M more than Breakaway

*4-5) RCI Sunshine Class (Quantum and Anthem - largest at build Meyr Werft when built) 166,500 tonnes

12) Queen Mary

*13-14) Breakaway Class (Breakaway and Getaway) (largest Meyr werft at build time) 144,000

Although Breakaway plus will be widest built at Meyr Werft by 0.4M more than Quantum, and about 1.5M more than Breakaway

Sorry I forgot to mention, I was talking length wise. But I am not even sure about the breakaway plus length.

12) Queen Mary

Hello Mate

you really know your cruise ships.

Just wondered - Most cruise ships just been built and new opnes to be built are all around 155,000 - do you think RCI made a mistake , building the Oasis and Allure so big - i'm guessing it must be tough getting 5000 passengers on every cruise.

Hello Mate

Just wondered - Most cruise ships just been built and new opnes to be built are all around 155,000 - do you think RCI made a mistake , building the Oasis and Allure so big - i'm guessing it must be tough getting 5000 passengers on every cruise.

My guess is no since they are building a third one. Also they still charge a premium for them after all this time of them being in use.

Hello Mate

The Oasis-class ships are a huge international draw. Even for the first week of December, after the Thanksgiving holiday and weekend were passed, we had 5,820 passengers on Allure of the Seas for my cruise. I don't think they have any problem at all getting these ships filled, and there are lots of repeat guests and B2B cruisers.

Hey All,

thank you so much for everyone's input on this thread. Ive learned so much about ship building...who knew?? :p

Anyway, I have a friend who is booked in a balcony 14198 and is very concerned about location. She was actually booked on the 10 floor and NCL moved her cabin without her knowledge. To make up for it NCL upgraded her still same cabin type but higher floor. She is thinking of moving because she is concerned because its below the kids area...(maybe noisy)

Can you please point her cabin out on one of the many pictures posted? Im personally booked in a studio cabin so I have no issues:D, but I knew you all can help her.

Thanks a lot!!

Tiffany

Lifeboat from waterfront

[ATTACH]263926[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

The lifeboats look like they will be quite prominent from the Waterfront don't they.

I suspect that if you're sitting down then they may be out of your line of sight, but I think they may be an issue if you are strolling along the Waterfront.

Archived