Everything Breakaway!(LIVE on 4/28)

loungerz

The water is too cold in May...I would pass for this reason alone. Some people can handle the water temperature....but not me. Not much different than the Jersey Shore water temp in May....

I have been there in April ...freezing May....cold June....bearable

and September...like bath water....LOVE IT:o

I have read on these boards that May can definitely being too cool to swim....both because of the air and ocean temperature. Also I believe the "jellyfish" is more of a problem in Bermuda sometime in May through early June....this is what I recall reading when I went to Bermuda in July two years ago.

Anyways....I saw the Breakaway commerical yesterday....and twice in one day!!:D

I was also stung by a 9' long man-o-war off the south shore of LI when I was 16. I had no idea what it was, and ran out of the water, unfortunately, the 9 feet of tentacles were so badly tangled around my leg, that I brought the whole dang beast out on to the sand with me. Took 4 lifeguards to subdue me, as I was flipping out (never saw a jelly fish that wasn't a small, clear blob...I thought it was an octopus :eek::o) they pulled it off my leg, and all 5 of us ended up in the first aid center, the ones who pulled it off had blistered burns to their fingers and I had hundreds of "papercut-type" wounds and blisters from my knee to my ankle that stung so badly, and even worse when salty sand was matted to the wounds from the beach. They told me the jellyfish were more likely to be out in August's warmer water (when I was stung), so that's why I made my previous statement.

PS It took me a long time to get back in the water without a wetsuit. However, I will be snorkeling in Bermuda, but that water is so clear, I would hope to see those beasties long before they made contact with me!!!!

OUCH! That must have been brutal. My sting was definitely not as bad as your experience. I don't even have a scar anymore.

Portuguese Man-O-War stings can happen anytime as far as I know. I was stung near the end of December.

The lifeguards who treated you were partially right. Jellyfish do prefer warmer waters and can sense and swim towards them, however, the Portuguese Man-O-War isn't technically a jellyfish as it has no means of propulsion. It simply goes where the wind takes it.

I'm sure you'll be fine, you're right that the water looks so clear you'll have no problem seeing them long before they get near you.

Enjoy your trip! :)

Found a very nice video of the floatout and the river transit. I don't think this has been posted here yet. I'm totally in love with this ship class. The plan is to wait for the Getaway, but I'm not sure that I can resist booking the Breakaway much longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DB0tJIX-ds

Interesting comment to this video from one of the other YouTube Breakaway video authors ('inselvideo') - translated by me:

"Nice video, but I personally know all 4 filmmakers from whom this video is!

We all have stood for a long time in the cold and have traveled far for these videos, have taken a lot of trouble cutting them!

If you are indeed copying our videos you must name or ask the originators!

So rather do some filming of your own!

Before the others report you to YouTube, you will please delete this video!"

Indeed, from 3.05 on this video, you can actually see the watermark of the real author (in this case 'HD1080i.de') - all the guy has done is add some music ... :eek:

Found a very nice video of the floatout and the river transit. I don't think this has been posted here yet. I'm totally in love with this ship class. The plan is to wait for the Getaway, but I'm not sure that I can resist booking the Breakaway much longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DB0tJIX-ds

Thank you!!! So nice!!!!

Earlier in the season, the water may be cooler, but you will be less likely to run into these...as they like the warmer water...

2387880817_937b884a08_z.jpg

Ewwww...Portuguese ManO'War :eek:

Oh gee, I would have a fit if I saw this thing. I've been to Bermuda, Jamaica, Haiti, Cayman Islands snorkeled with sting rays, saw all kinds of aquatic life. I saw hundreds of regular round jellyfish, extra large circular ones. But, if I saw this thing floating around, I just don't know, it makes my skin crawl. Yuck!

I was also stung by a 9' long man-o-war off the south shore of LI when I was 16. I had no idea what it was, and ran out of the water, unfortunately, the 9 feet of tentacles were so badly tangled around my leg, that I brought the whole dang beast out on to the sand with me. Took 4 lifeguards to subdue me, as I was flipping out (never saw a jelly fish that wasn't a small, clear blob...I thought it was an octopus :eek::o) they pulled it off my leg, and all 5 of us ended up in the first aid center, the ones who pulled it off had blistered burns to their fingers and I had hundreds of "papercut-type" wounds and blisters from my knee to my ankle that stung so badly, and even worse when salty sand was matted to the wounds from the beach. They told me the jellyfish were more likely to be out in August's warmer water (when I was stung), so that's why I made my previous statement.

PS It took me a long time to get back in the water without a wetsuit. However, I will be snorkeling in Bermuda, but that water is so clear, I would hope to see those beasties long before they made contact with me!!!!

What!! Ughhh.. I live on Long Island I am always at Robert Moses swimming. I never knew those things were here. Your story is a nightmare! Being that our water at our beaches are cloudy, it would be next to impossible to spot these things. Guess, I will stick to swimming in the pool, until I am in the Caribbean and can see around me.

OMG!!!!!!!!

HOW DID I MISS THAT VIDEO!!!!!

Are they going to have it all the time? like in every voyage? I am going die if they do, that beats Disney ships by a million %!!!!!

I'm going to have to sail on that ship too now!! lol

Did a little digging on the fotocommunity.de site and found some slightly newer photos (exterior only, of course, I believe taken this week) of Breakaway, so in light of the current lack of other new info or photos, I'd thought I'd share - and forgive me if I may have duplicated a previously posted photo, though I think these are mostly all new. And all credit goes to the photographers of fotocommunity.de...

This first one is an updated exterior showing what appears to be finished balcony dividers for the M6's, as well as the larger balconies above it:

30655805.jpg

Then below are a couple more taken by the same person/same day, showing a wider view of the ship:

30655882.jpg

30655861.jpg

And a night time bridge shot:

30648810.jpg

And to continue...

A shot of a lowering of one of the lifeboats (with a little peak at some of the boardwalk area:

30664442.jpg

A Breakaway lifeboat (haha, "Breakaway lifeboat", that term doesn't exactly inspire confidence!) during a test - it seems to float, which is a plus:

30655909.jpg

And lastly a nice closeup shot of one of the lifeboats, for good measure:

30624537.jpg

Again, all credit goes to the photographers of fotocommunity.de

:cool::cool::cool:

I can't stand the wait for pics of the interior!

I was wondering if anyone knows where they will shoot off the fireworks and if they are viewable from the aft balconies.

That is my main question right now, also do they stop the ship for this?

Someone noted a tube in the back and that might where they come from. Let me see if I can clarify that.

Does anyone have any information on the size of the room where the Cirque show is going to be? Trying to decide if I should make reservations before boarding. Also, if I do make the reservations for myself, DH and another couple, do we have make them for all of us or can it be done separately but still sit together. Usually don't make reservations ahead of time but with the size of "Our" Breakaway, not sure what to do.

Its been 5 weeks since we got inside photos. :(.

I am thinking we will have to wait until the 1st cruise to get any new info.....only 3 weeks.

I don't understand why Ncl is so frugal with the updates ....maybe they are behind schedule and don't want it to be known :confused::confused:

Archived