Cagney's vs. Main dinning roo meat

cruisinmeme

first let me say we loved the quality of new York strip, rib eye, and prime rib in main dining room. We would like to try cagney's and was curious if the meat is the same as MDR or of yet even a better quality.

Since there is a 25.00 fee I know you have a more intimate atmosphere, better side dishes, and apps, just wanted opions about the meats.

I would have liked to try it for dinner just to see if the quality was better than what was served for breakfast and lunch, but I didn't. I didn't like the steaks that I tried. Not to thread-jack, but can someone say if there was a difference between breakfast/lunch and dinner? If not, then I would conclude that your shouldn't bother.

The choice and quality is better than both the Cagney's breakfast/lunch choices and much better than the MDR. We do it 2 or 3 times each cruise and have never had a bad or even marginal steak.

And if I had a bad steak for breakfast/lunch, I would send it back and get another.

The choice and quality is better than both the Cagney's breakfast/lunch choices and much better than the MDR.

That's true, but neither are that great. The steaks at Cagney's don't even match up to Outback. I wouldn't mind, but they're charging you for the privilege.

And if I had a bad steak for breakfast/lunch, I would send it back and get another.

They're doing the best with what they have. It's not horrible, but it's also not worth the extra expense.

Cagney's was better on the Sky. I'll let you know about the Star next month. MDR was below the level of an average steakhouse chain and Cagney's was slightly above. Definitely not worth the premium.

I'm a little bit spoiled about steak. OK, a lot spoiled about steak, but even so, I found Cagney's a disappointment.

We didn't eat at Cagneys but my husband said the filet he had at Le Bistros was excellent. And he isn't a filet person. In his mind a rib steak is the only steak and the rest should be roasts or hamburger:eek:

I'd like to buy your husband a beer. I agree ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not a big fan of cagneys for dinner. I have eaten there several times and it was hit or miss. I must say the lamb chops in the mdr were much better than the ones i had in cagneys. Yes i know the next question is why eat there several times if you didnt care for it. I was with traveling with friends who wanted to go.

The lobster bisque on the Star at Cagney's was the best I ever had. As was the filet, prime rib and Cagney's (french) fries. It all depends who is cooking your steak on the grill imho. Cagney's on the Star in May had the best filet I had ever had. Then 2 weeks later a poster wrote- worst filet of my life. Same restaurant, ship and meat. If I got a subpar steak, I would send it back! Expect the best and accept no less!

Cherie

I didn't think Cagneys was that much better than the main dining room steak to justify the $25pp. The steak in Le Bistro was well worth the money, though. My husband and I commented about how we wish we had gone to Le Bistro twice instead of Cagneys.

The lobster bisque on the Star at Cagney's was the best I ever had. As was the filet, prime rib and Cagney's (french) fries. It all depends who is cooking your steak on the grill imho. Cagney's on the Star in May had the best filet I had ever had. Then 2 weeks later a poster wrote- worst filet of my life. Same restaurant, ship and meat. If I got a subpar steak, I would send it back! Expect the best and accept no less!

I don't know if it's lack of consistency on the Star or that there are some wildly different interpretations of what a good steak tastes like. I'd rate the MDR steak at a 4, Cagney's at a 5-6, Outback at a 8-9 (considering it's choice and not prime), and Peter Luger at a 10.

I will say that the fries at Cagney's were magnificent.

first let me say we loved the quality of new York strip, rib eye, and prime rib in main dining room. We would like to try cagney's and was curious if the meat is the same as MDR or of yet even a better quality.

Since there is a 25.00 fee I know you have a more intimate atmosphere, better side dishes, and apps, just wanted opions about the meats.

My husband had the filet which of course was better. I had the lamb chops and they were better than the lamb in the MDR but of course all of these are different cuts. The creme brulee was really good too. That being said I would not miss it if we did not go...

Funny, when I took the behind the scenes tour on the Gem in June they had one meat locker. I had ask the provisions manager and he said point blank.......the steaks for all the restaurants come from the same meat locker. A filet in Cagney's is the same meat as the MD.

For us, the atmosphere at Cagney's and LeBistro is a big part of the experience and very enjoyable. We thought the food was good at both, but didn't find it to be "head and shoulders" above the dining room. On our last Cagney's evening visit, my steak was overdone and dry -- as someone said earlier, the person running the grill has a big impact -- but my husband's was very good. (No. I didn't send it back, but I'm fairly sure that I could have. They were very accommodating, but I had already eaten enough that day:D) We usually go to specialty restaurants a couple of times per cruise for a little change of pace. I think you'll be happy eating in either venue!

Archived