Post Cruise Stay

jvalastro

Hi everyone! So my family and I, we have a 14 year old, a 12 year old, and a 9 year old, just booked a seven night Western Med on the Liberty of the Seas departing from Toulon, France and stopping in Nice, Florence/Pisa, Rome, Naples and Barcelona. In pretty much all of the cities we are planning on doing a full day tour to try to get the most out of our first time in Europe. My thought for this is while we're here we should get the most out of Europe so we are thinking about having a post cruise stay. We are basically deciding between Monte Carlo and Paris. I am leaning towards Paris for we are only 3 and a half hours away and it would be somewhat stupid not to visit a huge icon of Europe but my wife insists that by the time the cruise is over our family, mainly the nine year old, will have seen too many churches and landmarks and would rather sit on a beach. Any thoughts on this?

Hi everyone! So my family and I, we have a 14 year old, a 12 year old, and a 9 year old, just booked a seven night Western Med on the Liberty of the Seas departing from Toulon, France and stopping in Nice, Florence/Pisa, Rome, Naples and Barcelona. In pretty much all of the cities we are planning on doing a full day tour to try to get the most out of our first time in Europe. My thought for this is while we're here we should get the most out of Europe so we are thinking about having a post cruise stay. We are basically deciding between Monte Carlo and Paris. I am leaning towards Paris for we are only 3 and a half hours away and it would be somewhat stupid not to visit a huge icon of Europe but my wife insists that by the time the cruise is over our family, mainly the nine year old, will have seen too many churches and landmarks and would rather sit on a beach. Any thoughts on this?

Both of you are right, kind of, maybe. Much depends on you and your family, their tastes, interests, travel style, etc. There's lots more to see and do in Paris than just museums and old churches. There are day-trip options from Paris, country estates/garden such as Versailles, etc., etc.

Tell us more on you and your family? Budget, ages, personal and travel interests, past Europe and France travel experience, etc. How much are you interested in history? Countryside vs. cities? Museums, food, wine, art, music, shopping, architecture, etc.? How much of it in a leisurely style versus fast-paced? Then, with more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

If you rent an apartment in Paris, that allows more room and comfort to relax and enjoy that great city.

Below are a few visual samples for what is there to see and do in Paris. Lots of variety and options that can be done in a relaxed manner. It doesn't need to be rush-rush in Paris.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 98,900 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

On a nice Paris day, people are enjoying the Louvre courtyard, the Louvre's famed glass pyramid by architect IM Pei and in the background the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel built in 1805: :

LouvreGlaPryr.jpg

At the Sunday market near the Bastille, fresh seafood and much more!:

MarketSeafood.jpg

The Eiffel Tower with a statute in the foreground. This picture is from the Trocadéro, site of the Palais de Chaillot, that provides a great view of the Eiffel Tower and these scenic parts of Paris.:

EilfelStatue.jpg

On the wonderfully charming ille St. Louis island, this flower shop is so nice along with other shops there. Lots of markets, dining places, etc., along this street.:

StLouisFlowSp.jpg

At the Tuileries, there are gardens, cafes and places to sit, watch and enjoy near the Louvre:

TulGardensScul.jpg

At the d’Orsay Museum in Paris, this was the grand dining room of the hotel that was part of the previous train station. Now, dining at lunch here breaks up the day during a long day of standing and walking:

ParDOrsDining.jpg

You are really not that far away from Barcelona and that's what I would choose if I had kids with me. Ours were 13 and 11 when we took them on a 9-day Western Med cruise last summer. Their two favorite cities were Barcelona and Rome. For Barcelona, we got some beach time, took them to the Magic Fountain for the night show, and also to the Gaudi houses, a ride on the hop on hop off, Parc Guell, and Ramblas. Without the kids, I would choose Paris, but Barcelona would be a nice second choice. As much as we loved our pre-cruise days in Paris this year, I doubt that my kids would have enjoyed it all that much. For Monte Carlo/Monaco, my kids enjoyed the aquarium. But that was 90 minutes. If your ship ends up returning to Toulon, France and Barcelona is the stop the day before, I would just end my cruise in Barcelona, get off there and enjoy three days there.

Hi, we are personally more set on either Paris or Monte Carlo since we have a day in Barcelona already where we are planning on touring the city. This is our first time in Europe as a family so I think we should fit in the most that we can in our time there which is why I think Paris would suit us better. We aren't very concerned about money, but for the most part I would say like a faster paced vacation. My wife is just worried about our nine year old.

Hi, we are personally more set on either Paris or Monte Carlo since we have a day in Barcelona already where we are planning on touring the city. This is our first time in Europe as a family so I think we should fit in the most that we can in our time there which is why I think Paris would suit us better. We aren't very concerned about money, but for the most part I would say like a faster paced vacation. My wife is just worried about our nine year old.

Agree with our Boston friend that Barcelona is super wonderful. BUT, the added info from jvalastro is very helpful. Tell us more on the exact interests for your nine year old. Boy or girl? Get your kids involved in the planning so that they have more "buy-in" as to these potentials and what you will be doing.

Personally, Monte Carlo is OK, but a little limited, congested and urban in my view. I would go the Paris direction as it allows a wide range of potential in that great city and nearby.

It's good you have budget flexibility.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 98,900 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Our nine year old is very mature for her age and will be ok with some sightseeing and museums but I also want to try and get some more fun and maybe adventurous options if there are such things.

I would opt for Paris if the choice is that and Monte Carlo. For a kid, going up the Eiffel Tower is great. You could do a cruise along the Seine as well and even take a 30 minute rail to Versailles. When we went there, kids seemed to enjoy that incredible palace. If you decide on Paris and want to go up the Eiffel Tower, you should look into Cultival's Behind the Scenes Tour, which is not only interesting and only 20 euros for adults, but also allows you to skip those long lines. The Arc de Triomphe also seemed popular with kids. We just walked past it as we didn't have time. But, between those two, I'd go to Paris and do some kid friendly things and save the grown up things for another trip.

Our nine year old is very mature for her age and will be ok with some sightseeing and museums but I also want to try and get some more fun and maybe adventurous options if there are such things.

Glad to know she's mature and interested in a variety of things. My view with many of those in that age range is that keeping things moving with different options makes it good. There are lots of shops, trips, etc., in and around Paris.

Happy to answer any other questions on Paris and nearby. Have done lots and lots in this area.

I would choose Paris. There are lots of things that children would like to do. Some simple examples: riding the carousel at Hotel de Ville; riding the Bateau Bus (tourist boat) along the Seine; shopping for fruit and veggies in the outdoor markets of Rue Cler; and picnicing and watching the outdoor puppet theatre in Jardin du Luxembourg, a beautiful park in Saint Germain des Prez. You could also rent bicycles in some of the Paris parks - just google bike rentals in Paris.

I did Paris with my then 7 year old and he absolutely loved every minute of it. Paris is great for kids. You can walk so many places. We did the HOHO bus and that was a great way to see the landmarks. We did the Eiffel Tower at night and walked up to the first platform instead of taking the elevator and it was a great experience. BTW the elevator- they pack you in there like sardines and the line is really long. So do the stairs. If a 45 year old and a 7 year old could do it- you can too.

Dining in Paris- we asked the concierge at our hotel (the Hotel Garden Elysee) sent us to a great Indian restaurant- so you don't have to eat fancy French food with kids. In fact- the Indian was the best food we had. Otherwise they have great pastries, ice cream and snacks in the touristy areas.

I've been to Monte Carlo and it is pretty but I don't think it has as much to offer as Paris.

BTW: My favorite stop and smell the roses moment in Paris was letting my son wade in the huge reflection pool in front of the Eiffel Tower. All the kids are in there on a hot summer day. Make sure to let them wear their swimsuit under their clothes!

Agree with the Paris suggestion. As a related story, we first took our daughter to Paris (and Europe) when she was 9 (we noticed the OP has a 9 year old). Our daughter was pretty cagey and, when her mother told her to pack one pair of nice dress shoes she brought along a pair of shoes which she had outgrown for at least a year. Once we got to Paris she started crying and explained that her shoes did not fit and she had nothing to wear to dinner that night (we like to dine in decent restaurants). Of course her mother quickly responded by taking our daughter out to buy a new pair of shoes in Paris (all part of the daughters grand plan). Despite being a bit older these days (thirty) she still remembers those golden shoes and how she pulled off her shopping coup.

Hank

I would definitely recommend Paris.

Ours were 9 and 11 at the time...many moons ago!

Paris was a great success for us as a family. It is very child friendly. We had 8 days there. As well as the usual sights we took them to Cite de Science. Spent a whole day there, thankfully in air conditioned comfort as it was a heatwave at the time. There is a huge park next door. Another full day was at Parc Asterix just north of CDG. You can get there by RER to CDG and the Parc Asterix shuttle buses which run frequently. If any of your kids enjoy Asterix, this is the place to go. There is also Euro Disney which we did not visit as we did Disneyworld Fl several times. They also loved the boat trip on the Seine, the Eiffel Tower, and various other minor attractions such as La Grande Arche at La Defense. Walking around Montmarte was a big hit too, as was the top of Notre Dame beside the gargoyles and the "Quasimodo" bell. They even enjoyed some of the Rodin Museum. Our son was particularly taken by "the gates of hell". Education and fun too. We also lingered for ages on top of the Arc de Triomphe watching the amazing traffic below as it goes around from numerous streets. Heart in the mouth! And in recent summers, tons of sand has been trucked into Paris and an instant beach is created in the city centre. You could maybe read your kids the "Hunchback of N D" before you go, or some Asterix if the idea appeals.

Biggest issue is planning. Big city, sights well spread out. We planned ahead of time to do things in a particular area at the same time and to travel to the next closest area the same day if we had spare time that day. It vastly reduced the amount of criss-crossing the city we had to do on public transport.

If you google something like "Paris for kids/children" there should be lots of suggestions in the results.

if you end up going to Paris a suggestion you will all love-look up 4rouessous1parapluie-it's a car tour around Paris in the traditional French car the 2CV-great fun!!

also look up segway and bike tours

While you might think you want a beach break most beaches along the French Riviera are small crammed with loungers[to pay for] and public beaches are rocky or gritty sand

I definitely think you should go with Paris over Monte Carlo, as there is so much more to see/do (in my opinion). I completely agree with what everyone is saying about Paris - there is definitely adventure, sightseeing, and leisurely activities so I think you can have a combination of being active and relaxing a bit. I don't think anyone has yet mentioned Sacre-Coure, which is a charming little area with cobblestone streets, shops, restaurants, artists, street performers, etc.

Archived