Bringing Snorkeling Equipment to Alpalena??

1stTimeCruiser2008

I'm looking at booking Almaplena for Feb 2013...me DH, DS15, DD10. I've read that it's a great place to snorkel but you need to bring your own equipment.

We don't have any equipment. Do people actually pack snorkel equipment?

And if so...where do I buy snorkel equipment and what do I need?

We're not usually into snorkeling but the water looks so crystal blue that it might be fun to try. I just don't want to spend a bunch of extra money unnecesarily.

I ruled out Maya Chan because I want the crystal blue waters.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Robin

We always bring our own masks and snorkels for fit and cleanliness issues but rarely bring our fins. In this case, we will bring them as well since Almaplena does not supply them. They do have short easier to pack fins now - we have used them and they are great but unfortunately, we have the long variety.

We always bring our own masks and snorkels for fit and cleanliness issues but rarely bring our fins. In this case, we will bring them as well since Almaplena does not supply them. They do have short easier to pack fins now - we have used them and they are great but unfortunately, we have the long variety.

Thanks...where did you buy you're gear?

Gosh, it was a long time ago. I would check some place like REI or other large sporting goods store if you don't have a dive shop near by. We live near the coast so I probably bought the equipment at a local shop. Sorry I am not more help.

We will be going to Almaplena this December. After all the cruises (and we snorkel on each cruise) we decided to buy our own equipment prior to our last cruise. It will more than pay for itself and they worked great on our last cruise.

We bought the smaller travel fins and they are wonderful. You can buy them at a number of online stores and even on places like ebay and amazon for the best deals. We purchased ours online after a lot of research and suggestions from people on this board and we are more than satisfied. :)

We will be going to Almaplena this December. After all the cruises (and we snorkel on each cruise) we decided to buy our own equipment prior to our last cruise. It will more than pay for itself and they worked great on our last cruise.

We bought the smaller travel fins and they are wonderful. You can buy them at a number of online stores and even on places like ebay and amazon for the best deals. We purchased ours online after a lot of research and suggestions from people on this board and we are more than satisfied. :)

How expensive were they?

We ended up buying the US diver kit for both me and the hubby from Campmor.

I got the pink US Divers Diva Dry Trek and it was around $50 for the entire set. It comes with the mesh bag and fits nicely in the suitcase and in our bag we carry to the islands. :D

72485_pnk.jpg

The husband got something similar (shorter fins), different color and also US Diver.

We have been real happy with them.

We ended up buying the US diver kit for both me and the hubby from Campmor.

I got the pink US Divers Diva Dry Trek and it was around $50 for the entire set. It comes with the mesh bag and fits nicely in the suitcase and in our bag we carry to the islands. :D

72485_pnk.jpg

The husband got something similar (shorter fins), different color and also US Diver.

We have been real happy with them.

Thanks!!! You've been very helpful:D

No problem at all.

The only problem I've had so far is finding a snorkel vest for me and the hubby. We ordered some off Amazon and when we received them, they just didn't "feel" right and seemed too short so we returned them. (All of the places we've been to so far will rent just the snorkel vest or they've been free). However, this time, it looks like we'll have to find some for our upcoming cruise and trip to Almaplena.

We like leisurepro.com as well for things that don't need an exact fit (like a mask). I highly recommend going to a dive shop and get a mask with a purge valve in the nose and an excellent fit. It will make snorkeling soooo much more pleasant.

We also have the short packable fins (leisurepro). My husband has a dry snorkel, I do not. He has issues with saltwater. We don't wear vests as we like to dive down to explore. If it's a long swim to a reef, or if the water is rough, we will rent a vest somewhere, but usually go without, especially for shore snorkeling.

The one thing that I wouldn't trade is a neoprene covering that goes over the back strap of my mask. It keeps my hair from getting tangled in the strap ANd my husband can always lift his head out of the water and spot me! (I have neon yellow and pink ones - easy to spot).

an avid diver/snorkeler for nearly 40 years and one who's been to CM several times ....

don't bother

not a place I've even considered getting wet in the diver sense

sorry to be harsh .... but if there was good snorkeling or diving here the cruise line would be trying to take your money

this IS the beach at CM - which IS very nice

100_0066.jpg

notice all the snorkelers?

an avid diver/snorkeler for nearly 40 years and one who's been to CM several times ....

don't bother

not a place I've even considered getting wet in the diver sense

sorry to be harsh .... but if there was good snorkeling or diving here the cruise line would be trying to take your money

this IS the beach at CM - which IS very nice

100_0066.jpg

notice all the snorkelers?

What part of the beach are you on?

Also just wondering, if it's not good for snorkeling, why do they say:

"right in front of the beach club, just 54 yard (50m) from the shore, there is a great spot for snorkeling called Puerto Angel Diving Site."

Why would they consider it a diving spot if it's not even good for snorkeling?

When you do a search for Puerto Angel Diving, you find tons of information on it along with tours that go there. Maybe it's a different site? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Also just wondering, if it's not good for snorkeling, why do they say:

"right in front of the beach club, just 54 yard (50m) from the shore, there is a great spot for snorkeling called Puerto Angel Diving Site."

Why would they consider it a diving spot if it's not even good for snorkeling?

When you do a search for Puerto Angel Diving, you find tons of information on it along with tours that go there. Maybe it's a different site? :confused:

did you read any of those links to Puerto Angel?

cuz they refer to a place on the PACIFIC coast . . .

Puerto Angel

This small fishing/tourist village with limited amenities may not make a big first impression. But spend some time here and the warmth of the people, the tranquil beaches, fresh seafood, and the relaxed pace grows on you. Puerto Angel is the ground zero and the inspiration for this web site, the Pacific Coast of Mexico

if there WAS good diving or snorkeling around CM, don't you think there would be excursions offered?

http://www.scubaplex.com/scubadiving/location/12163-scuba-diving-puerto-angel

all the 'places' in CM are in one strip of beach which is YES within sight of the ship piers.

don't believe me? pull it up on Google Maps

truth is - beach area + swimmable water maybe 50 yards deep and a couple of dozen 'resorts' on a concrete walk of a half mile or so all offering the same things you'll find in the immediate pier area. In my picture, see the waves breaking?

I'm wondering the same thing too since there seems to be a ship in the background. Almaplena is no where near the ship port. :confused:

I had to research this one a little and YES this place is a couple of miles south of all the other CM places

but I don't see different 'features' off shore in the Google Earth shots

however their web site does say

At Almaplena Eco Resort & Beach Club you can snorkel right from our shore by swimming to a

nearby snorkel spots, just 54 yard/50m from the seashore; snorkeling is a wonderful way

to discover the underwater world without any experience necessary. We are located on the

Costa Maya Mesoamerican reef, the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world, the perfect place

to explore a large variety of colorful tropical fish, marine life & corals. There are occasional

sightings of Sea Turtles and Manta Rays as well.

Snorkeling equipment is not provided, please feel free to bring your own.

I had to research this one a little and YES this place is a couple of miles south of all the other CM places

but I don't see different 'features' off shore in the Google Earth shots

however their web site does say

At Almaplena Eco Resort & Beach Club you can snorkel right from our shore by swimming to a

nearby snorkel spots, just 54 yard/50m from the seashore; snorkeling is a wonderful way

to discover the underwater world without any experience necessary. We are located on the

Costa Maya Mesoamerican reef, the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world, the perfect place

to explore a large variety of colorful tropical fish, marine life & corals. There are occasional

sightings of Sea Turtles and Manta Rays as well.

Snorkeling equipment is not provided, please feel free to bring your own.

Yea, that's what I'm going on. Oh well, it doesn't matter to me. I'm still going to check it out since we'll be there in December and already have the reservation paid for and booked. :)

They only take 20 people there per day, which is why there are no excursions. It's 20 minutes from the pier in the middle of now where. Read the reviews on Trip Advisor. Everyone says the snorkeling is great. I'll be there in a few weeks. Taking my own snorkel gear. I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

They only take 20 people there per day, which is why there are no excursions. It's 20 minutes from the pier in the middle of now where. Read the reviews on Trip Advisor. Everyone says the snorkeling is great. I'll be there in a few weeks. Taking my own snorkel gear. I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

Please do and thanks for letting us know. Do you have an underwater camera? I would love to see some pictures if you do. :)

• 2 months later...
Gosh, it was a long time ago. I would check some place like REI or other large sporting goods store if you don't have a dive shop near by. We live near the coast so I probably bought the equipment at a local shop. Sorry I am not more help.

i live near new orleans, so i drove to biloxi and hit a souvenir shop. these places are huge and full of "crap" but they had a great snorkel gear set for $20. mask, snorkel and fins in a carrying bag. other more expensive sets, other cheaper sets. depends on what you want to spend.

I was just wondering if you ever went and could report back to let us know how it was? :confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived