Silhouette or Reflection

kasowell2

I'm about to book either the Silhouette or the Reflection for next March. The only difference is one goes to St. Kitts (Reflection) and the other (Silhouette) goes to St. Thomas. I've been to both so the question is which ship would you take and why? Price is within a few dollars of each other so that is not a concern.

I'm about to book either the Silhouette or the Reflection for next March. The only difference is one goes to St. Kitts (Reflection) and the other (Silhouette) goes to St. Thomas. I've been to both so the question is which ship would you take and why? Price is within a few dollars of each other so that is not a concern.

Hi Kasowell,

The differences are minimal. Reflection is a brand new ship, and sails out of Miami vs. Ft Lauderdale with Silhouette. We personally prefer St Kitts over St Thomas. If you enjoy shopping, then St Thomas is a better option.

IMO, either choice will be a good one. I hope this helps !

Unless you are in an AQ "suite" I don't think there are any differences.

And my 2 cents on STT vs STK, I would much prefer STT and then taking a quick ferry ride to St John for the day. By far the best beaches of the entire itinerary!

I'd do Silhouette. I prefer sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale. The airport is so much better than Miami airport (which is like a third world country)- flights are cheaper to Ft. Lauderdale and Southwest goes there- which is my favorite airline. Also the port is a $15.00/ 5 mile taxi ride to the port.

Both ships are similar and newish. I love St. John's too and we easily did the ferry there and spent the day snorkeling on a beautiful beach.

While these are both Solstice class ships, the Reflection has been changed to ADD ONE MORE DECK OF PASSENGERS without making the dining rooms bigger OR adding more elevators...... This is worrisome as the wait times for the elevators on S class ships is long. When we queried Celebrity we were told that the dining venues were getting "another 6 inches of space".....I won't even get into what 6 inches is worth......

Silhouette is tried and tested.....and loved. Reflection will have new decor and cabin decorations....but I am having a hard time getting my head around more people in virtually the same space.......

Cheers! Happy Sails.

Much as I love St Kitts, I'd go for Silho-- it's a a great ship and has a nice lounge for the DJ --this will be a Conference center on Reflection...

more pax on Reflection with the same size pools and other common areas is a big concern; and

we much prefer FLL as a cruise port b/c we have to fly into that city...

All that said: I am sure we will try Reflection once for the experience but Silho was a wonderful ship and we hope to sail on her again!!!

We are going Aqua so what are the differences?

This is what the Reflection offers (from the X website release)

The Celebrity Reflection will present an enhanced AquaSpa by Elemis allowing guests to create their own circuit of sensory experiences as they move from room to room and experience hot and cold, wet and dry, and peace and tranquility throughout.

The AquaSpa’s expanded, 883-square-foot Persian Garden will allow for six more in-demand curved, heated tile beds (15 total) with soothing sea views, and six entirely new experiences:

• The Hammam: A modern twist on a traditional experience, the Hammam is a cool, calm and quiet space designed to loosen muscles and joints while relaxing on a heated stone slab. The relaxing, regenerating experience can be enhanced with a massage or a soothing, custom salt scrub.

• Infrared Sauna: Infrared heat offers distinct advantages over traditional steam heat saunas, as it provides many of the health benefits of natural sunlight without the dangerous effects of solar radiation. The heat within the infrared sauna penetrates deep into guests’ joints and surrounding tissue to increase blood flow, reduce inflammation and decrease pain versus purely heat the skin, as in a traditional sauna.

• Aromatic Steam Room: Warm steam and aromatherapy combine to melt away muscle tension and toxins, and to relax the mind, and leave the entire body feeling rejuvenated and refreshed.

• The Cold Room: Guests can ‘chill out’ completely in this space, whose seats, walls and floor are icy cold (52 F). The room is designed to tighten pores that were opened and cleansed previously in the infrared sauna and aromatic steam room.

• DIY Scrub and Salt Bar: This new do-it-yourself bar allows guests to create custom “body cocktails,” or scrubs, from an array of salts, sugar and herbs. The scrubs can be purchased individually, or as a package of five scrubs for $45.

• Sensory Showers: Guests can complete their journey through the Persian Garden by selecting either warm, tropical rain infused with mild, fruity fragrances, or an arctic cold mist enlivened with eucalyptus essences. Creative applications of soothing sound, scent and light will further tantalize the senses to leave guests invigorated and refreshed.

The Persian Garden experience will be complimentary for guests booked in Celebrity’s spa-inspired AquaClass accommodations. All other guests will be asked to pay $35 for a one-day pass.

Additionally, the AquaSpa will introduce “Girlz Night,” a social spa night for women, complete with access to the Persian Garden, and “Couples Night,” offering couples an intimate evening in the Persian Garden.

Celebrity Reflection’s AquaSpa also will add to the extensive menu of treatments a new therapy, “Rhythm and Bliss,” a rhythmic rubdown conceived and choreographed by the New York brand, bliss, designed to give guests’ tense spots a ‘tune-up,’ while they ‘tune out’ with noise-canceling headphones playing their choice from four music mixes: classical, world, electronic and rock.

Consistent with its focus on wellness and life balance, the AquaSpa on Celebrity Reflection will offer “Acupuncture: The Point of Well-Being,” an integrated solution for chronic symptoms ranging from severe muscle and joint pain to insomnia, in addition to Botox® and Dysport® injectables, and Restylane® and Perlane® dermal fillers.

The salon within the AquaSpa on Celebrity Reflection also will present a new service, introducing the popular Keratin Complex hair smoothing therapy.

My two cents on a number of comments above.

From the post immediately above, there appears to be a number of changes in the spa, but, I know of no differences for the regular AQ cabins between the two ships.

Regarding comments about concern about the ship being crowded, I felt that the S class ships were the LEAST crowded ships I've ever been on, and I don't think that the additional people will create any concerns. There could be a different situation in the MDR, but Blu isn't crowded. The vast majority of tables in Blu are two tops, but are intentionally close together, so if you want to engage in conversation with the table next to you, it's convenient to do so, but seperated enough that it's not required.

I don't know if you are driving to the ship, or if you plan on purchasing duty free alcohol. But, an added benefit of stopping in St. Thomas, is that each person can bring back five liters of duty free alcohol if purchased in St Thomas, as opposed to only one liter if you don't go to St. Thomas.

If it makes a difference, I'm trying to make the same decision, but I think it's strictly going to be decided on price.

Edited by Bobby Dee

I know that no matter which one we take we will have a great time. Miami vs Ft. Lauderdale -- in Miami we get free parking due to handicap so that's saving $105 by going on the Reflection. The minus is we were on the Exlipse last year and did the same ports so Silhouette gets the nod for St. Thomas vs St. Kitts. We are spoiled with Aqua Class and Blu so if the Reflection offers a couple of more things in the Spa then that gives it a nod.

This is a terrible problem to have :D but any other thoughts would help me decide.

I'd do Silhouette. I prefer sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale. The airport is so much better than Miami airport (which is like a third world country)- flights are cheaper to Ft. Lauderdale and Southwest goes there- which is my favorite airline. Also the port is a $15.00/ 5 mile taxi ride to the port.

Regarding airports, I have had the exact opposite experience! Since cruising out of Port of Miami on Millie, I now look for that port as a plus! My experience in FLL is a tiny airport that can't handle the number of people on cruise days. We spent hours sitting on the floor there. Miami is a large international airport, and while there are a lot of multi-cultural people there, I don't mind that, and I think that the airport is better equipped for large numbers of people.

We also had the quickest and smoothest embarkation and debarkation experiences at Port of Miami. Customs was a breeze. No searching for your luggage in thrown in heaps on the floor. Multiple carousels made it really easy and quick.

Can't say I had a positive experience at Miami airport. Firstly- it is a $35 cab ride through some pretty crappy neighborhoods. Once inside they were totally disorganized at check in and lost all our luggage- the whole plane!!! Over 200 passengers had no luggage after a non-stop flight from Miami-Baltimore. It was horrendous at Miami airport. The airport is in sorry shape. That's why I called it a third world country.

I have flown countless time in and out of Ft. Lauderdale with no problems at either end. It's clean and efficient and not a small airport IMO.

I guess the solution could be tha we take the Reflection on the 30th of March and then when we get back we take the Silhouette the next week. That way i can come back and tell everyone the answer. SO now I just need everyone to pitch in and pay for the second cruise and to find me another job when I don't show back up to teach the kids at school. I will set up a paypal account for any donations. :)

• 3 years later...

Both ships are similar and newish. I love St. John's too and we easily did the ferry there and spent the day snorkeling on a beautiful beach.

We agree...

Have done AQ class on both..we prefer cruising out of Port Ev and just booked Silho again,third time...

we found Ref crowded in many areas but not BLU, did not like some of the design changes...truncated upper club, no Quasar, circular aft bar makes music hard to enjoy..much more an all bar atmosphere.out back...also the solarium and spa are on 2 diff levels...but the Ref Canyon Ranch spa is awesome..preferred Persia Gardens and nicer locker room on Silho...but basically same

Guess it depends on preferences..ports not a big distinction...all nice

when we must cruise from Miami we fly into FLL and take a shared shuttle or limo to pre cruise hotel...and than a taxi after the cruise...added expense!

Have fun!

Edited by hcat

The vast majority of tables in Blu are two tops, but are intentionally close together, so if you want to engage in conversation with the table next to you, it's convenient to do so, but seperated enough that it's not required.

True that! We were AQ on Reflection last April. We became very good friends with the people at the table next to us. So we made arrangements to meet at the same time for meals and the BLU staff reserved those two adjacent tables for us at each meal. Loads of fun and always interesting conversation with all four of us participating.