TS / (Hurricane?) Isaac

Scott34787

I have not read this whole thread but i am extremely worried about this storm. My niece, her husband and 4 children are trapped in the Dominican Republic. They tried to get out but could not...they are stuck there and they are at the tip of it island. Please keep them in your prayers!

"THE GOVERNMENT OF THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC HAS CHANGED THE HURRICANE WARNING TO A TROPICAL STORM WARNING FOR THE SOUTH COAST OF THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC FROM ISLA SAONA WESTWARD TO THE HAITI-DOMINICAN REPUBLIC SOUTHERN BORDER."

That should be good news for you!

Considering I survived Hurricane Hugo 9/21/89 I can inject a little humor into this thread. I really do appreciate the updates for real as I have friends who are currently sailing.

Hurricane Isaac! Anyone for a cocktail?

A5C4017F.jpg

I cannot claim this photo as my own though. I snagged it from our local tv channel who snagged it from something called cruise cal dot com?

Considering I survived Hurricane Hugo 9/21/89 I can inject a little humor into this thread. I really do appreciate the updates for real as I have friends who are currently sailing.

A5C4017F.jpg

I cannot claim this photo as my own though. I snagged it from our local tv channel who snagged it from something called cruise cal dot com?

Thanks for the giggle! :D

According to Carnival's website, it looks like an all clear for all the voyages this weekend. There will be another update tomorrow at Noon (EST). As for the airlines, (Delta) hasn't rescheduled any flights to Miami. Hoping for the best. :D

According to Carnival's website, it looks like an all clear for all the voyages this weekend. There will be another update tomorrow at Noon (EST). As for the airlines, (Delta) hasn't rescheduled any flights to Miami. Hoping for the best. :D

Thanks for the update. Safe travels!

Yes if you are in the true path of the storm (the eye path) then you get the swirling winds that come from the east side which are powerful and spawn tornados and such and get the rain bands and opposite winds from the west that then pick up and blow everything the other way. The dangerous part is that you get a lull or calm and people assume it's ok to go out and wham it comes again.

We were at Disney during Charlie. During the first part of the Hurricane, our hotel room door at Pop sounded and looked like it was going to fly away at any moment. (They told us to NOT put on the deadbolt.) Anyway, when the eye came through, some idiots went into the Pop Century pool. We had a pool view room and watched.

Maggie

A5C4017F.jpg

LMAO, now that is a "Blast from the Past".

Just hope that everyone sailing now and to those who will be sailing this coming weekend - have a safe trip.

This will be my first time to sail during hurricane season. Does anyone with experience this time of year have any thoughts about wether there will be problems in 2 weeks with either Isaac or Joan?

Welcome to the Hurricane Party, Kiki!

I don't think any ports will get significant damage from Isaac or Joyce so you should be OK unless another one forms between now and when you cruise.

Keep an eye on the tropics!

This will be my first time to sail during hurricane season. Does anyone with experience this time of year have any thoughts about wether there will be problems in 2 weeks with either Isaac or Joan?

In two weeks' date=' they will both be gone. But, we are approaching the peak of hurricane season (mid-september). So, you need to watch the storms moving from east to west coming off of northern africa. The site www.nhc.noaa.gov is a good site to watch.

If you are prone to sea sickness, pack a little more dramimine. They try to go around the storms but you may still have rougher seas than you are used to.

We have sailed in this stuff many times. The important thing to remember is there is always plenty to do and enjoy on a cruise, even if they are in a storm and miss ports and you miss deck time. Remember, it is not the crews fault, so don't take it out on them. Just relax, enjoy, and make the best of it!:):)'

Thanks Scott. I originally booked this in September because for the first time in 5 years I'm not committed every Friday to football games and every Saturday to band contests. It was a case of I'm going in September because I can. Now I'm worried it will be rough seas and canceled excursions. Starting to think December/January would have been a much better idea. At least I would know what to expect.

Good-ish news. It's no longer a "Hurricane", just a Tropical Storm. It's moving more to the west every update. Can't tell if it's good for the few of us sailing out on Sunday but I'm sure lots are looking into it. :)

Thanks Scott. I originally booked this in September because for the first time in 5 years I'm not committed every Friday to football games and every Saturday to band contests. It was a case of I'm going in September because I can. Now I'm worried it will be rough seas and canceled excursions. Starting to think December/January would have been a much better idea. At least I would know what to expect.

Don't fret Kiki you will have a great cruise - just go in with

an adventurous spirit.

FWIW, we always sail the week after Thanksgiving. It's at the tail-end of hurricane season and it's a slow travel week, so it's very affordable. We have yet to experience bad weather (knock on wood!) :)

Good-ish news. It's no longer a "Hurricane", just a Tropical Storm. It's moving more to the west every update. Can't tell if it's good for the few of us sailing out on Sunday but I'm sure lots are looking into it. :)

There are other ports people sail from like New Orleans and even Galveston to the west.

I lost my car to Ike which was supposed to go way west and maybe hit Mexico, but far west TX and made a last minute turn. If it goes more west, it eventually will hit someone.

There are other ports people sail from like New Orleans and even Galveston to the west.

I lost my car to Ike which was supposed to go way west and maybe hit Mexico, but far west TX and made a last minute turn. If it goes more west, it eventually will hit someone.

Granted there are, but the main turnaround day for Cruise Ships are on a Sunday and by their tracking it'll hit New Orleans on a Tuesday. This may be good news to passengers embarking from Florida. Just have to wait until Friday-Saturday to get the final word.

Hi I am sailing tomorrow on the GEM from NY to FL and Bahamas with my two sons 5 and 12...really nervous about rough seas never sailed in hurricaine season is it really that bad?? Maybe I'm over-worrying

You'll be fine, Annie. If it's rough the boys will love it.

Just go in with a "this is an adventure" spirit.

http://www.clarionledger.com/viewart/20120824/NEWS/120824001/Tropical-Storm-Isaac-forecast-become-hurricane-Alabama-Mississippi-path

"Given Isaac's current position and momentum in the Caribbean, the storm is much more likely to track into the Gulf of Mexico than to track along the east coast of Florida," said Dan Kottlowski, head of the AccuWeather Hurricane Center, on AccuWeather.com."

PLEASSSEEEEE GO THE OTHER WAY

Well if it's gonna go that far west all the panic will as usual, be for nothing and I might not even end up with a free day off. Jeez. Like NOLA needs another hit. Have they *really* gotten their drainage systems running now so the whole city doesn't drown like last time?

I often think about you and the loss of your car. That was just so awful. Have thought too that the storm should go to Texas due to the dry conditions. Hopefully as a tropical storm. Don't think it'll go that way.

INTERESTS THE REMAINDER OF CUBA...THE REMAINDER OF THE BAHAMAS...

SOUTH FLORIDA...AND THE FLORIDA KEYS SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF ISAAC. WATCHES WILL LIKELY BE REQUIRED FOR PORTIONS OF THE FLORIDA KEYS LATER TODAY AND ARE ALSO POSSIBLE FOR PORTIONS OF THE SOUTHERN FLORIDA PENINSULA.

The local news this morning was already mentioning that the Keys might implement evacuations for tourist as early as this evening or as late as tomorrow. Was also looking at wave information, it's going to be rough out there. Folks on the Imagination, Majesty and Sky might be on a cruise to nowhere given that tropical storm winds extend out 185 miles. Not only that, how will they get back on Monday given the proximity of the storm to South Florida. It's going to be interesting to see what happens and where these cruise ships go to avoid the weather.

Archived