bus or train from Marseille to Aix-en-provence

smk730

Hi. We're in port on sat sep 8th from 7AM - 4PM. As this is not a lot of time and we're newbies to the area, i'm trying to figure out the quickest and easiest way to get from the port to aix en provence on our own.

I believe the #50 bus is the correct one from what I read on these boards. I looked on www.lepilote.com to try to figure out how long the trip is and best I could figure without know much french is about an hour. Does that sound correct?

The train looks to be closer to 30 minutes. Are the correct stops Marseille st Char and aix en provence? I think the train is 11EUR/each way. what is the cost for the bus?

Thanks in advance for helping out on this!!!

Hi. We're in port on sat sep 8th from 7AM - 4PM. As this is not a lot of time and we're newbies to the area, i'm trying to figure out the quickest and easiest way to get from the port to aix en provence on our own.

I believe the #50 bus is the correct one from what I read on these boards. I looked on www.lepilote.com to try to figure out how long the trip is and best I could figure without know much french is about an hour. Does that sound correct?

The train looks to be closer to 30 minutes. Are the correct stops Marseille st Char and aix en provence? I think the train is 11EUR/each way. what is the cost for the bus?

Trains take 30-50 minutes depending on the train. You will want to use Marseille St Charles and Aix En Provence Centre. You will have to take a taxi to the station. The train cost is around 15 to 25 euros depending on the time you choose. The taxi to the station is another 20 euros.

Ok, here is the scoop. You can get to Aix by train or bus, The express buses take about 35-40 min which is almost as fast as the regular trains. The buses run a lot more often then the trains and they are cheaper. The best part is that the bus station is right next to the St Charles Train Station. So simply get yourself over to the station, check out the schedules as which works best when you arrive, and take the best option.

There is no reason to overplan this.....you just go and do what works best at the time.

Hank

Thanks! Is what i read on these boards correct about the difficulty in getting a taxi to the train station and that the NCL buses are $25/person. If this is the case, i'm wondering if it makes more sense to go on the ships 4 hr tour for $59/person.

I cannot speak to the NCL question since we gave up on that line when they got rid of the Norway :). As to taxis, there are usually some taxis that will make the short run to the station but there are times when you might have to wait a few minutes. Our personal problem with tours is we like to avoid the cattle-call feeling we get when traveling with a group. And as to Aix, to us one of the best parts of this city is having a long lunch in one of the restaurants/cafes located on the Cours Mirabeau. Ship excursions do not normall work for long lunches at decent restaurants :)

Hank

We took the train from Marseille to Aix En Provence. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't much. It didn't take very long to get there, but I don't remember the exact amount of time it took. It was worth it....Aix En Provence was charming.

Trains take 30-50 minutes depending on the train. You will want to use Marseille St Charles and Aix En Provence Centre. You will have to take a taxi to the station. The train cost is around 15 to 25 euros depending on the time you choose. The taxi to the station is another 20 euros.

We had a shuttle bus from the ship that dropped us off at the old port area. The train station was a short walk from there. We followed a couple who had been there before to the station.:)

Thanks! Is what i read on these boards correct about the difficulty in getting a taxi to the train station and that the NCL buses are $25/person. If this is the case, i'm wondering if it makes more sense to go on the ships 4 hr tour for $59/person.

You can do it a little cheaper on your own, but $59 for a four hour tour sounds like a good deal to me.

Hi smk,

We are on the same cruise as you and also planning to DIY in Marseille to Aix! We are planning on taking the bus up, looking around the town and having a nice leisurely lunch. Maybe we can talk more at the meet and greet; you're welcome to join us if you want!

Alaine

Archived