CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Shoesonfire - you've jumped into the middle of this discussion which is fine, but you're posting from Texas whereas middvillmom is posting from NJ so she possibly understands the NY/NJ geography and logistics a little better.

The short answer to the question is that the Hampton Inn Staten Island is in NYC and Bayonne is in NJ, so if you're driving from NJ, you have to pay $14 to cross over to NYC to stay at the Hampton Inn where you can get a free shuttle back to NJ to Cape Liberty. So if you're driving, you have to pay for the hotel and pay an additional $14 toll.

Could you please tell us more about details about your specific plans so we can customize an answer for your particular situation?

Sorry if I added to confusion. I was glancing through the posts and your reply got my attention. Yes, we are in TX, originally from NJ. I read your post and thought the shuttle from Hampton Inn Staten Island NY (we already have a reservation with them) to the pier in Bayonne NJ required a toll. Obviously, I misinterpreted your answer and since we are not driving to the Hotel it does not apply. I as well as many others appreciate all your advice.

Arriving back at Port Liberty on a Saturday morning (Sept 21). Looking for advice regarding...

Flight departure times. We can book a 10:50 or a 3:15 flight out of Newark. Is the 10:50 even possible?? We would take a cab, not a shuttle, in this case.

Transportation. Estimate for cab ride (for 2) from the port to Newark airport? On this thread it appears that the shared shuttle is $16 each.

Is it true that it takes about 20 minutes from port to airport (Newark)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice! We're trying to book our airfare and need help with this!

Help, please?

MEcruzr: Anything is possible but a lot has to go perfect to make a 10:50 flight at EWR after a cruise. First you would have to have a ship that cleared on time and you would need to be first off the ship. We were off in dec and in our car at 8:15, earliest ever. We were among the first in line. You would need to have the CBP agents primed and ready to go just waiting for you. Things have slowed down a bit since the budget issues. Taxis should be ready and waiting so you should be ok with them. Next you need to get to the airport, is there construction on I78....? Ok so with traffic on a weekday it could take 25min or 35 min after all it is only 7.5 miles ;-). Now get the bags checked, if you can do that at curbside that would be helpful but not all airlines allow that. Next its our government friends, the TSA, are they primed and waiting for you or is the line backed up for 45 min... again a risk.

Me, I work in an industry that basis decisions on risk analysis. If missing the 10:50 flight is not an issue because there are many later options with no extra cost I would go for it. If that was not the case, I would stay on the ship until 9 or 10 then head over to the airport, checkin, eat lunch, walk around, read a book, talk about my cruise and relax until I get on my 3:15 flight.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Motorman23

Mary drives past the cruise port twice daily going back and forth to work. If I let her tell you what can happen on the ride, you'll miss your flight before you finish reading it. ;)

Between what can happen on the bridge between exit 14a and 14, and the fact that the bridge has been under construction for years, let me warn you that it will be stressful. Yes, 20 minutes is a reasonable amount of time if all goes pretty well. On a Sunday morning, with no rain and no accidents.

Keep in mind also, that Newark airport usually has LONG lines to go through security. I would suggest checking your bags with a skycap, and preprinting your boarding passes onboard.

Having said all that, my best guess is you have a 50-50% chance of making your flight. Not good odds, but odds nonetheless.

If it were us, we'd take the later flight. Especially since we just got off a nice relaxing cruise, wouldn't want to end the trip with a bad impression.

Oh, and with the shared transportation, they're not leaving until they're full, I would guess, it's not like a cab. So you'd have to wait for people to file off the boat so the bus can fill up. Then, at the airport, they'll have to stop at each terminal and let people off - ok if you're leaving terminal A, but a lot of airlines leave from C.

And, once again, the going through security has taken us over an hour. For example right now - 0951am sat 4/13 :

Airport Real-Time Status

EWR (Newark, NJ)

Newark International

General Departure Delays:

Due to TM Initiatives:MIT:VOL, traffic is experiencing Gate Hold and Taxi delays between 16 minutes and 30 minutes in length and Increasing.

(from http://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/status_detail.aspx?iac=EWR)

Yes - the park sleeps from trinityreservations and stay123 offer up to 14 nights free parking for the price of the hotel room. On top of that you have to pay for round trip transportation to the port. You're on an 8 night cruise and live in NJ so it might not be economical for you since the port parking would be $152.

If you're considering this I would look at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island because you can get a free shuttle to the port if you pay the $14 bridge toll to cross into NYC.

138east....thanks for the helpful info.....that's really a great deal if you are driving to a port other then where I originally live. :) I was actually thinking if we ever wanted to do the bahamas cruise from Baltimore, I think the sleep/park would be a good decision for us then. I also think the hotels in baltimore with the sleep/park, some have complimentary shuttles to/from port which is convenient and not extra $$$'s, which leaves more $$$'s for my drinks of the day ;). I will have to reconsider for future cruises other then my original Bayonne port ;) even tho I love Ex of the Seas.....and love sailing on her!!, something different. :)

For us, private transpo is about $170 r/t which is not a real big savings if we parked ourselves at port, so we will just do that. What would be nicer is if a family member would offer to drive us....even better!!! ;)

By the way....I've read alot of your posts and they are always very informative. I take it you've travelled quite a bit! ;) Thanks again as always!! Have a great sunday.

The hotel website has directions coming in I78 east. These are the direction from exit 14A.

For this area GPS and signage is unreliable. Visuals do better. When you come through the toll, go straight across the toll plaza and up a ramp that curves left. Stay to the right and turn right at every opportunity until you come to the traffic light at route 440. Turn left, stay to the left, and make the very first left onto Goldsborough Drive. You will be able to see the ship. The street will merge with Port Terminal Blvd and you follow that out to the ship.

Thanks for these excellent, easy to follow directions. We just used them last week. Thanks, too, for whoever posted the warning about the construction around the I78 area; I believe it was before exit 14A.

So...I decided to take one for the team and try off site parking...

I opted for SNAP airport parking in Newark....it's about 10-15 minutes from the pier under normal conditions, but can take much longer due to traffic and construction on the bridge....

There has been a lot of discussion here about licensing, etc of other off site agencies, and this one-which picks up/drops off at EWR has done the necessary paperwork (that's in a nutshell folks..)

I did not make a reservation but had made several calls and knew what the rate is (11.99 per day plus taxes)

Taking side streets as I was coming from the Jersey Gardens area, the trip took about 10 minutes. (I knew where I was going, based on directions given to me....it was actually pretty easy.)

The facility is a multi-story garage, valet only. SNAP has several shuttles and vans, and had made 4 trips to the pier last week prior to mine.

Drivers were nice, polite and wearing uniforms....also the receptionist was a very pleasant young lady, albeit VERY busy! They could use a second person in the office.....

Upon return, I called as i was leaving the ship. Due to heavy construction traffic, it was almost an hour before i got picked up. The return to the facility took only 10 minutes or so.....another 5 to pay and get the car and load up-then I was off!! The driver of the shuttle went and got my car in less than a minute-seems that others are supposed to do this, but they are very busy and maybe a little short staffed.

I do not believe the delay was their fault- I saw the traffic on the bridge....

For those looking for an alternative, SNAP would be a good choice. The area is rather industrial-but my car came out with no damage and no extra miles!! If I drive to the pier in the future, I would likely park there again.....while waiting for the shuttle added to my time, the 40-ish dollar savings was worth it.

My total was just over $86 for the 6 nights... $11.99 per day, plus taxes.....

Here are some pics...

DSC_0004_zps4b123299.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsd895b3f7.jpg

DSC_0002_zps85f65c8d.jpg

DSC_0001_zps968d8a79.jpg

Edited by megr1125

Meg,

Are they able to handle the scooter/wheelchair folks? In other words, do they have lifts in their vans (or at least one). The $$ sounds good as well as the covered garage. But I need to worry about "The Boss".

Meg,

Are they able to handle the scooter/wheelchair folks? In other words, do they have lifts in their vans (or at least one). The $$ sounds good as well as the covered garage. But I need to worry about "The Boss".

Oops....you think i would have asked....

I would think at least 1 vehicle has to be WC accessible....forgot to ask.....grrrr... :banghead::eek::confused:

Sent from my Etch-a-sketch using Tapatalk

Hi Carol, Someone quoted this post from you..is it an old one.? I went to aa.com and couldn't find those rates for that time(9/7/13)

Originally Posted by 138east viewpost.gif

Annie - Newark is a highly urban industrial area and you must be selective about your hotel. All the hotels around the airport have an airport shuttle. To get to the port you need to book a car service which will quote a flat rate plus tolls and tip. Even if you take a cab, the trip would be a quoted rate and not a metered trip.

Right now aa.com is your friend. For Sept 15 look at these hotels. Be aware that many Newark hotels do not have restaurants, so you can be looking at walking to a nearby hotel to eat or ordering take out. Hotels which offer free breakfast usually do not have a restaurant. The prices listed do not include tax.

Hampton Inn - $80.75

Doubletree - $87.96

Ramada plaza - $89.25

Holiday Inn - $96.25

Country Inns - $95.18

I would look first at Country Inns. The rate is great. They offer an expensive cruise package, but folks booking independently have been able to buy their shuttle transportation for $35/pp rt, which is a great deal since car service quotes have been running $50-60.

Lots of cruisers stay at CI. They offer a free breakfast and they are next to Jersey Gardens Mall which has a food court. Next door there is a Ruby Tuesdays and an IHOP plus a Courtyard with a restaurant.

I would like to ask you( and others) another question, I am 86 1/2 percent sure I am taking Amtrak from Erie, PA to Bayonne, New Jersey. But if I were to rent a car and drive to Bayonne or somewhere close to the pier, the day before our cruise 9/8/13, any suggestions ? I know I need to find out where I can drop the car off(maybe not EWR ?) Are there car rental returns at the port, that you are aware ?

Thanks,

Frank

Edited by knarf

Frank,

These rates were out there at the time of the post, which I'm sure was a while ago. Nothing is fixed in stone - hotel rooms group and down in price.

The only places to get rid of a car would be Newark Airport or Jersey City. Enterprise is in Bayonne, but typically they don't do one way rentals from what I understand.

Carol

These directions will put you on the GW bridge beyond the construction near the Major Deegan.

However, construction has also been reported between exits 14 and 14A on the NJ turnpike. Early on a Sunday morning (you should arrive in Bayonne by 11 am) you could stay on the Henry Hudson Parkway and go down 12th Ave/West St in Manhattan to the Holland Tunnel and get to exit 14A from exit 14C of the turnpike.

You want to cut over to the Merritt Parkway South at either Milford CT or to the Hutchinson River Parkway South (same as the Merritt) at I287 just after you cross the CT-NY border. When you get to New Rochelle, stay in the left lane for the Cross County Parkway (exit 15). Stay in the center left lane which will become the left lane and go to the end taking the Saw Mill River Parkway South. At the NYC line this becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway. Pay the $4 toll and stay on the left to take the exit to the George Washington Bridge staying in the rightmost exit lane. Follow the signs to I80 West and the NJ Turnpike. Take the turnpike south and follow the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel - this will take you onto the eastern extension of the turnpike. (Note: not a big deal if you miss this turn - the roads merge further south). When you get to the Lincoln Tunnel area, don't get off but stay on the turnpike south and follow the signs to exit 14A Bayonne. Go straight across the toll plaza and get on the ramp that curves up and left. Stay on the right and bear right at every opportunity until you hit the traffic light at route 440. Make a left, stay left and make the first left. This road (it's a new road and I've forgotten the name - Gold something I think) merges with Port Terminal Blvd to the pier.

So...I decided to take one for the team and try off site parking...

I opted for SNAP airport parking in Newark....it's about 10-15 minutes from the pier under normal conditions, but can take much longer due to traffic and construction on the bridge....

There has been a lot of discussion here about licensing, etc of other off site agencies, and this one-which picks up/drops off at EWR has done the necessary paperwork (that's in a nutshell folks..)

I did not make a reservation but had made several calls and knew what the rate is (11.99 per day plus taxes)

Taking side streets as I was coming from the Jersey Gardens area, the trip took about 10 minutes. (I knew where I was going, based on directions given to me....it was actually pretty easy.)

The facility is a multi-story garage, valet only. SNAP has several shuttles and vans, and had made 4 trips to the pier last week prior to mine.

Drivers were nice, polite and wearing uniforms....also the receptionist was a very pleasant young lady, albeit VERY busy! They could use a second person in the office.....

Upon return, I called as i was leaving the ship. Due to heavy construction traffic, it was almost an hour before i got picked up. The return to the facility took only 10 minutes or so.....another 5 to pay and get the car and load up-then I was off!! The driver of the shuttle went and got my car in less than a minute-seems that others are supposed to do this, but they are very busy and maybe a little short staffed.

I do not believe the delay was their fault- I saw the traffic on the bridge....

For those looking for an alternative, SNAP would be a good choice. The area is rather industrial-but my car came out with no damage and no extra miles!! If I drive to the pier in the future, I would likely park there again.....while waiting for the shuttle added to my time, the 40-ish dollar savings was worth it.

My total was just over $86 for the 6 nights... $11.99 per day, plus taxes.....

Here are some pics...

DSC_0004_zps4b123299.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsd895b3f7.jpg

DSC_0002_zps85f65c8d.jpg

DSC_0001_zps968d8a79.jpg

Is this parking facility on Frelinghuysen Street, just off Rt. 22? If it is then this is the one I looked up if I were to park and it did seem good for the price. Glad you're taking one for the "team" ;) Do the shuttles wait till they are full to leave (both ways to/from port)? Also, do you have to let the parking garage know ahead of time that you will use the shuttle? Did you tip the shuttle driver? if so, how much did u tip? Did you have to pay parking upon return and did you have to leave your car keys with the garage? You said you paid $86 to park...was that the final price or not including taxes, etc? I know it's alot of ???'s, but since you took one for the team... :) I appreciate the info you provide !! Thanks in advance.

Nancy

These directions will put you on the GW bridge beyond the construction near the Major Deegan.

However, construction has also been reported between exits 14 and 14A on the NJ turnpike. Early on a Sunday morning (you should arrive in Bayonne by 11 am) you could stay on the Henry Hudson Parkway and go down 12th Ave/West St in Manhattan to the Holland Tunnel and get to exit 14A from exit 14C of the turnpike.

You want to cut over to the Merritt Parkway South at either Milford CT or to the Hutchinson River Parkway South (same as the Merritt) at I287 just after you cross the CT-NY border. When you get to New Rochelle, stay in the left lane for the Cross County Parkway (exit 15). Stay in the center left lane which will become the left lane and go to the end taking the Saw Mill River Parkway South. At the NYC line this becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway. Pay the $4 toll and stay on the left to take the exit to the George Washington Bridge staying in the rightmost exit lane. Follow the signs to I80 West and the NJ Turnpike. Take the turnpike south and follow the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel - this will take you onto the eastern extension of the turnpike. (Note: not a big deal if you miss this turn - the roads merge further south). When you get to the Lincoln Tunnel area, don't get off but stay on the turnpike south and follow the signs to exit 14A Bayonne. Go straight across the toll plaza and get on the ramp that curves up and left. Stay on the right and bear right at every opportunity until you hit the traffic light at route 440. Make a left, stay left and make the first left. This road (it's a new road and I've forgotten the name - Gold something I think) merges with Port Terminal Blvd to the pier.

Thanks so much for the directions. Didn't realize they were also doing construction on exit 14 & 14a.

Going on Summit May 19 (Sunday) out of Bayonne. Does anyone know if they are still doing all the horrible construction on the GWB? We are coming from CT so must go over a bridge or through a tunnel to get to Jersey.

Thanks.

Radio just completed his live review of his trip to Bermuda. Here is the link to his review along with lots of pics.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1822384

Is this parking facility on Frelinghuysen Street, just off Rt. 22? If it is then this is the one I looked up if I were to park and it did seem good for the price. Glad you're taking one for the "team" ;) Do the shuttles wait till they are full to leave (both ways to/from port)? Also, do you have to let the parking garage know ahead of time that you will use the shuttle? Did you tip the shuttle driver? if so, how much did u tip? Did you have to pay parking upon return and did you have to leave your car keys with the garage? You said you paid $86 to park...was that the final price or not including taxes, etc? I know it's alot of ???'s, but since you took one for the team... :) I appreciate the info you provide !! Thanks in advance.

Nancy

Not sure if it's off 22, but i THINK so.....it IS on Frelinghuysen....

it was 11.99 per day plus taxes...the 86 and change was the price with taxes....(there was a flat 4.00 fee, plus 10-11% tax IIRC)

they did not wait for the shuttles to fill up....reservations are helpful but not necessary....

i tipped 5 bucks each way...i had 3 bags and a couple smaller things..(yes, i over packed...:eek::rolleyes:)

it is valet, so they keep the keys....i paid upon return...they take cash and plastic...

no worries about the questions...that's why i am here...:D:p

I'm leaving on the Celebrity from Bayonne on May 5 which is the day of the 5 boro bike race. I am coming from Long Island and am very concerned that the westbound Verazzano is going to be a huge nightmare (lower level opened to the cyclists only; upper level can only be accessed from street entrance which I never even knew about). Has anyone ever had to go to Bayonne on the day of the bike race? Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

In response to Luvfamvaca:

I've never had a problem taking Verazzano coming from Nassau County (other than "normal" traffic issues on the Belt!) and these directions are right on the money:

From the east/Staten Island/Long Island:

•Take the Verrazano Narrows Bridge into Staten Island.

•Take I-287 West.

•Take Route 440 North to and over the Bayonne Bridge.

•Continue on Route 440 North approximately 3 miles.

•Make a right into the Bayonne Ocean Terminal.

•Continue straight and approach the guard gate.

•Continue past the guard gate and follow the signs to the cruise terminal.

Edited by The Beaner
forgot something