Culinary Class

Solon

We are booked on a culinary class on Marina. How long is the class? I know on the website it says an hour, but does it stick to that timing or is it more flexible? Thanks.

Might be a few minutes over if there are technical issues (those cooktops are temperamental), or the students are very chatty (you know who you are!), but generally right on the money. :D

I did not think you could make all the yummy dishes & eat them in 1 hr :confused:

Do you actually get to eat what you prepare or is it just tossed?

I never went to the classes on our Marina cruise

Lyn

I did not think you could make all the yummy dishes & eat them in 1 hr :confused:

Do you actually get to eat what you prepare or is it just tossed?

I never went to the classes on our Marina cruise

Lyn

You're free to eat the fruits of your labor if you should choose to, but there isn't any time dedicated to eating, and there really is not anyplace to sit down and eat.

On our transatlantic our afternoon courses lasted more then 2 hours!!! Must have been all the wine. We ate as we went and I must admit it was difficult to eat much dinner after the classes. I recommend that you NOT book a specialty restaurant on the same day you have an afternoon cooking class.

You're free to eat the fruits of your labor if you should choose to, but there isn't any time dedicated to eating, and there really is not anyplace to sit down and eat.

I guess I misunderstood the whole point of the classes

I mistakenly thought you learned how to make them & then got to enjoy the dishes afterwards

Oh Well

I try not to cook at home anymore ;)

Let Mikey do it:D

Lyn

We ate as we went;)

We first made a soup, then tried it, delicious

We made steak frites , then tried it, partner had added too much sea salt

Next an apple tart, we finished it off, yum

Our class went well over the hour as well.

It hardly seems worth the $60 they charge for such a short group class. Not much beyond the most simple dishes in under an hour really.. . If it was a series for a week it might be more worth it. But as one person said..a soup and french fries.

On Regent several years ago they had a class for 12 from Cordon Blu, 8 sessions, got books, did things like Tornedos Rossini, Garne, Charlottes , sauces, Used the ships galley for part if it cost $350, even has a special dinner at the end and certificates.

On our transatlantic our afternoon courses lasted more then 2 hours!!! Must have been all the wine. We ate as we went and I must admit it was difficult to eat much dinner after the classes. I recommend that you NOT book a specialty restaurant on the same day you have an afternoon cooking class.

Thanks for that tip! We are doing a transatlantic and want to take a couple classes, but don't want it to interfere with dinner.

On Regent several years ago they had a class for 12 from Cordon Blu, 8 sessions, got books, did things like Tornedos Rossini, Garne, Charlottes , sauces, Used the ships galley for part if it cost $350, even has a special dinner at the end and certificates.

WOW! Now that is something I would do!

It hardly seems worth the $60 they charge for such a short group class. Not much beyond the most simple dishes in under an hour really.. . If it was a series for a week it might be more worth it. But as one person said..a soup and french fries.

They said steak frites not french fries totally different :rolleyes:

We took a number of classes on two cruises on Marina. They were worthwhile experiences. Typically they were on the cuisine of the ports we were to be visiting. Yes, we ate what we cooked. Yes, there is no place to sit down to enjoy it. Typically they were scheduled for about an hour and as I remember lasted a little over an hour depending on what we cooked, how much wine we drank, and how much chatter we engaged in during class. You can get an idea about what happens at http://www.oceaniacruisesblog.com/taste/bon-appetit-culinary-center/

The level of instruction was excellent and allowed for a very diverse assortment of student skills and knowledge. Chef Kelly and her staff adjusted the level to reach everyone in class from those that had no knife or cooking skills to those who had restaurant kitchen experience. It was a blast and the wine was really good and freely poured. Just to work in that magnificent high tech kitchen classroom was great. Every pubic school teacher should have the equipment that the chef used to demonstrate to the 24 of us. Science, math,vocational and elementary teachers would salivate if they saw that room. Robotic cameras built into the ceiling, enhanced sound system, marble desktops, lighting so everyone can see the details of the demonstration, video playback, and two assistant teachers that made sure everyone was progressing and learning.

Yes, it is well worth the fee. Probably the best value on board.

http://www.oceaniacruisesblog.com/.a/6a0120a92e343a970b014e8b1ac836970d-pi

Bill

Both classes I have taken on the Marina lasted a full 2 hours and we preapared a number of items. Like OP stated, we made a course and then enjoyed what we made at the station. The second class was titled as above so we made the food and then a wine was served that went with the food. The wine was discussed as to why it was selected for the food. At the start of the class we were served a sparkling wine. Quite delightful. If I recall, class started at 2. When it was over it was time for a rest - full stomach and relaxed from the wine. That evening we went up later to the Terrace Cafe for dinner, as I didn't need much in the way of food, but DH, who didn't do the class with me, needed more. The class was well worth the money and was great fun.

Both classes I have taken on the Marina lasted a full 2 hours and we preapared a number of items. Like OP stated, we made a course and then enjoyed what we made at the station. The second class was titled as above so we made the food and then a wine was served that went with the food. The wine was discussed as to why it was selected for the food. At the start of the class we were served a sparkling wine. Quite delightful. If I recall, class started at 2. When it was over it was time for a rest - full stomach and relaxed from the wine. That evening we went up later to the Terrace Cafe for dinner, as I didn't need much in the way of food, but DH, who didn't do the class with me, needed more. The class was well worth the money and was great fun.

Very nice, but what did any of that have to do with La Reserve? (see the title of your post) :confused:

Very nice, but what did any of that have to do with La Reserve? (see the title of your post) :confused:

I think they took the cooking class with some dishes from La Reserve

La Reserve: Perfect Wine and Food Pairings

Learn how the experts effortlessly pair wines with a variety of cuisines.

• Starters and Appetizers and the Inventive Pairings
  • Main Courses and the Perfect Pairings
  • Heavenly Endings and Dessert Wines

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/lifestyle/bonappetit.aspx

I think they took the cooking class with some dishes from La Reserve

La Reserve: Perfect Wine and Food Pairings

Learn how the experts effortlessly pair wines with a variety of cuisines.

• Starters and Appetizers and the Inventive Pairings
  • Main Courses and the Perfect Pairings
  • Heavenly Endings and Dessert Wines

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/lifestyle/bonappetit.aspx

Thank you for adding the link. I thought my title was clear based on the topic of the thread and content of my post, but I guess not. Joanna

some of the classes are listed as 90 minutes. Very enjoyable and worth the cost - except they should let you have your apron to keep. if a class is full you can still sit in and listen and observe.

some of the classes are listed as 90 minutes. Very enjoyable and worth the cost - except they should let you have your apron to keep. if a class is full you can still sit in and listen and observe.

if a class is full you can still sit in and listen and observe.

I don't believe that to be true.

Is that a recent change in policy? We had a peanut gallery of watchers in all the classes we took.

Bill & Jeannie

We did too on Marina and Chef invited us back to watch any class she was doing even if we weren't interested in taking the class.

My husband sat in part of the time for both classes on Marina in May. He just had to be quiet and not eat. he took lots of pictures. There was a row of seats to the side and several others sat in too.

If I laid out $$$ for a small class, and they let in anyone to watch,which is large portion of the class to me, I would feel rather upset. What am I paying for...

Classes I took on Regent, came with apron, towel, chefs hat, and note book along with the big Codon Blu book. No observers were allowd.

Archived