Conquest repositioning - Passport needed??

Deaf Dude

We are going on the Conquest repositioning cruise next year from New Orleans to San Juan. Passports are not required for flights from San Juan back to New Orleans. But since this is not a true closed loop cruise will passorts still be needed? My Aunt would like to join us but doesn't have a passport (we do). this will most likely be her only cruise due to her age. Will she still need the passport?

I believe if I am understanding the

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

She would only need to have a passport 'card' not the full passport book. I would make a few calls to Carnival and to the customer service at CBP to make 100% sure. Toll-free within the United States: (877) CBP-5511

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

We are going on the Conquest repositioning cruise next year from New Orleans to San Juan. Passports are not required for flights from San Juan back to New Orleans. But since this is not a true closed loop cruise will passorts still be needed? My Aunt would like to join us but doesn't have a passport (we do). this will most likely be her only cruise due to her age. Will she still need the passport?

When you fill out your online checkin on carnival.com, what options are there for citizenship information? Does it list any alternates to a passport?

Thanks for the info. I guess she will not be coming with us.

She can go with you. San Juan is exempt from the PVSA. no passport required

EXCEPTIONS

As of October 30, 2003, foreign vessels are also allowed to transport passengers (but not cargo) between the U.S. mainland and Puerto Rico (46 U.S.C. § 55104)

Bill

EXCEPTIONS

As of October 30, 2003, foreign vessels are also allowed to transport passengers (but not cargo) between the U.S. mainland and Puerto Rico (46 U.S.C. § 55104)

Bill

But it is not a closed loop cruise and other ports are on the itinerary. Which goes back to does she need a passport book or card.

EXCEPTIONS

Bill

Thanks bill. I just looked up the PVSA and that does seem to be what it says. I will still check with the customs website just to be safe.

EXCEPTIONS

Bill

The PVSA has nothing to do with required travel documents.

Passengers on the Conquest repo will need either a passport or a passport card as indicated by others in this thread.

passport card says its only for land. we will have to fly back from PR. Guess I will have to ask the customs website. thatnks for all the imput

The passport card is valid for entry into the USA by land or sea but not air. It is enough to enter the USA in Puerto Rico. Flights from Puerto Rico to the continental USA is a domestic flight, only photo ID is necessary.

passport card says its only for land. we will have to fly back from PR. Guess I will have to ask the customs website. thatnks for all the imput

Only photo ID is needed to fly between US mainland and her territories. It is the other islands you are visiting on the repo cruise you need to find out about.

This really isn't a matter of PVSA, but an open loop cruise (is that what it's called?). I can't seem to find any correct info, except on closed loop cruises. Hopefully, you can find the correct info.

I know when I did a repo on Elation from San Diego to Mobile (Panama canal cruise) in 2009, I used my passport, but whether it was mandatory or not, I'm not 100% sure.

EXCEPTIONS

Bill

The Conquest is not sailing directly from New Orleans (US Mainland) to Puerto Rico (US Territory). It will be arriving in San Juan after visiting the foreign countries of Grand Turk, the DR, and British Virgin Islands. A passport or passport card is necessary to take this cruise.

And this cruise can not be done as a back to back on the 11/16/13 leg to Miami as this would be a violation of the PVSA.

Archived