Cruise insurance for uk cruisers!

MR_T

Hi all,

As a first time cruiser and someone that has annual travel insurance already I was wondering if I could get some advice from the fellow uk cruisers on what extra insurance I will need and the best place to get it ..

Thanks in advance for everyone that can help

Tony

Hi all,

As a first time cruiser and someone that has annual travel insurance already I was wondering if I could get some advice from the fellow uk cruisers on what extra insurance I will need and the best place to get it ..

Tony

Hi Tony

We also just have an annual policy through Nationwide which we just upgrade to worldwide if we are going further afield, I haven't thought to check if it covers cruises, thankfully never needed to !!!!!

DEFINTELY check that it covers cruises.

I always just took out annual insurance and always presumed it covered cruises - until I read some article somewhere, then I started to look at the small print.

Some do, some don't, some just don't say. Ask the question, and get it in writing if it doesn't explicitly say it on the policy.

I get it through a benefit at work at the moment, but take a look at the likes of Money Supermarket and just trawl through the quotes. When I did send an email to check the insurance companies were always quick to respond.

Our travel insurance is with Lloyd,s Bank Gold Card which we have had for

a number of years, completed around 8 cruises then read the same question

about Cruise Insurance so prior to our last cruise we checked with Lloyd,s

and thankfully we are covered for cruise,s:)

We use nationwide but the pay one,always make sure it includes cruising, when we phone to renew,you know this maybe recorded message ask at least 3 times and always declare all medical no matter how irrlevant

We have an annual worldwide Travel Plus policy from PJ Hayman which we bought through our insurance broker, but I think you can also get it online. It is very reasonably priced. It does not mention cruise insurance specifically, but I became ill on our last cruise and had to call their emergency line to arrange to return home in a wheelchair and they were absolutely wonderful!:)

The only problem I found was that the Celebrity medical staff did not understand that UK travel insurance policies usually require you to notify them as soon as you become ill and until they receive a written diagnosis and treatment plan from the doctor who is treating you, the travel insurance can't do anything to help you (and will not pay your medical costs). Celebrity thought we just needed a receipt for the treatment and drugs and I had to be very persistent to get the documentation that I needed. If anyone finds themselves in a situation where they need to claim on their UK travel insurance, I would advise giving high priority to obtaining the paperwork and emailing it to the insurance company.

We have our travel insurance with Halifax/Bank of Scotland with our Ultimate Current Account, and it covers cruises (I have phoned and checked it with them). Any Medical issues must be declared and an extra premium paid accordingly.

Texmex

Our travel insurance is with Lloyd,s Bank Gold Card which we have had for

a number of years, completed around 8 cruises then read the same question

about Cruise Insurance so prior to our last cruise we checked with Lloyd,s

and thankfully we are covered for cruise,s:)

Yes, I can confirm that this particular insurance covers cruises. We have had to make a couple of small claims on the same policy. Unfortunately, medical conditions now mean that this policy will no longer cover us and we have had to look around for other cover.

Unlike the US, most UK policies appear to cover cruising but it is still essential to check. There are a few policies that specifically market themselves for cruising [and at least one of these cruising and pre-exisiting medical conditions]. Just google and check the small print for the policy that looks right for you.

Sue

Hi all,

Tony

As others mentioned check it out to see what cover you have and if it is sufficient. I have annual travel insurance too and used Barclays for years. I decided to do a bit of research at last renewal and via Which? magazine changed to Holidaysafe, a best buy. They do a cruise add-on and it was quite a bit cheaper than I'd been paying.

There is a cruise insurance forum on Cruise Critic too that may give your further information:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Phil

We have a travel insurance policy through the ulster bank, part of rbs. First time we needed it was this may when we had to curtail our med cruise half way due to a sudden family death. Celebrity were brilliant in getting us home from kotor next day but we had to pay for the flights.

The good news is that the policy worked for us. We had to provide copies of medical reports and death cert etc. as it appears there is a lot of fraud in this area. But we got all our flight money back and 50% curtailment as well! So we rebooked to go again in oct and finish what we started

Hi all,

Tony

Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice on the above topic, I have had a response back from my insurance co and they say I'm covered for everything to do with cruise holidays to its all good

Thanks

Tony

Archived