Officers Training Program?

donoiv

How do I sign up for the officers training program that's offered on the 7 day cruises? Also, is there a difference in cost between the Hotel Directors program and the Captains program? I really want a chance to drive the ship.

Thanks.

How do I sign up for the officers training program that's offered on the 7 day cruises? Also, is there a difference in cost between the Hotel Directors program and the Captains program? I really want a chance to drive the ship.

Thanks.

Go down to the local US Navy recruiting office and they will gladly help you with that;)

Thanks.

Ok,

I'll bite.... never heard of this. Joke or if not please add some info.

Thanks.

I see you're in San Antonio. Try Texas A&M in Galveston. They have an excellent program and in 4 or 5 short years you can have your license.

Trust me though, if you really want to take the wheel you want to come up through the hawse pipe. The unlicensed seamen are really at the wheel. The Officers just give orders.:D

Never mind. I will get my info somewhere else... just lookin for a little realy help here...

I was asking if you meant it or what as I have never heard of a program that does what you are talking about on a seven day cruise. That's why I asked where you had heard of this... I doubt any program would "allow" you to take the helm of a cruise ship with thousands of passengers onboard. I think the "behind the scenes" tours does show the parts of the ship not normally seen but not what you want. Again, just wanted to find out where you might have heard of this.

I was confused by OP's post as well, and I have a son "in the business." Good Lord willing, next June he will have a USCG license as a 3rd assistant engineer, any tonnage. He's in his fourth year of training at the US Merchant Marine Academy for this license, and he's literally sailed around the world as part of his training.:cool:

Maybe OP's thinking of the "Behind the Fun" tour? If so, you sign up for it when you board the ship. It's usually the last sea day and 3-4 hours in length. If you're hoping to take the helm, though, it's not happening. The ship is on autopilot.

I should add - the cruise lines generally have "go to" places to recruit crew. Carnival's deck and engine officers generally are Italian. Celebrity's are Greek. Cunard's are British. NCL's Pride of America, sailing Hawaii, has American officers.

I was confused by OP's post as well, and I have a son "in the business." Good Lord willing, next June he will have a USCG license as a 3rd assistant engineer, any tonnage. He's in his fourth year of training at the US Merchant Marine Academy for this license, and he's literally sailed around the world as part of his training.:cool:

Maybe OP's thinking of the "Behind the Fun" tour? If so, you sign up for it when you board the ship. It's usually the last sea day and 3-4 hours in length. If you're hoping to take the helm, though, it's not happening. The ship is on autopilot.

I should add - the cruise lines generally have "go to" places to recruit crew. Carnival's deck and engine officers generally are Italian. Celebrity's are Greek. Cunard's are British. NCL's Pride of America, sailing Hawaii, has American officers.

Congratulations to your son. I'm a KP grad myself, from more years ago than I care to remember. ;)

Congratulations to your son. I'm a KP grad myself, from more years ago than I care to remember. ;)
Thanks! Ring Dance was just last week. He's thinking about a Carnival cruise for the break after first trimester - he'll be Platinum if he does it!:cool:

Thanks.

I have not actually seen such a tour offered on any of the 9 Carnival cruises I have taken. I do remember reading a thread here at cruise critic about such a tour years ago. Some people were gripping and saying how it was Carnivals effort to save money by putting the passengers to work as staff. But beyond that thread I have never heard of it since. I also doubt that they would actually let you have control of the ship even if that tour existed.

I have not actually seen such a tour offered on any of the 9 Carnival cruises I have taken. I do remember reading a thread here at cruise critic about such a tour years ago. Some people were gripping and saying how it was Carnivals effort to save money by putting the passengers to work as staff. But beyond that thread I have never heard of it since. I also doubt that they would actually let you have control of the ship even if that tour existed.

When they give passengers control of the ship is the day for us to find a new type of vacation.

Sure that is not going to happen.

Thanks.

Anything offered by the cruise lines as tours or excursions will be available at the excursion desk. Either OP got some bad information or confused "behind the scene" with a program that doesn't exist. (I hope)

Anything offered by the cruise lines as tours or excursions will be available at the excursion desk. Either OP got some bad information or confused "behind the scene" with a program that doesn't exist. (I hope)

Or is a troll.

If anyone noticed at the beginning he gave a website were he sited his information, is is a website for CREW MEMBERS of Carnival! The dude is crazy if he didn't realize that!

Also if you want to work in the Deck or Engine Dept on all Carnival Ships you need to be of Italian or Croatian nationality, it was a contract by Carnival made since 1972.

Archived