Bad Luck of the Seas?

TBone2K

I have experienced one of those calls on almost all of our 20+ cruises. Plus several helicopter rescues at sea. Last cruise was Oscar, Oscar, Oscar. Crew in dive suits, rushing like crazy to promenade deck. Looked real, but they said it was a drill. Ship never slowed down at all. So, it isn't that unusual. Just unusual for all of them on one cruise.

Same here.

There have been similar announcements on every cruise I have taken, although a lot of them are precautionary, although we have also experienced medical airlifts from various ships, and small fires on a couple of ships. All of which have been dealt with professionally and caused little inconvenience to passengers, including a fire on a recent Allure Cruise where all the dining areas were cleared and passengers moved to the other end of the ship.

HOWEVER the announcement I fear most is VISA,VISA,VISA which is made when my wife is spending excessive money in the onboard shops.

Glad to see some humor in such a grim thread. :)

I have to agree, I would dread hearing the VISA VISA VISA call! LOL!

To the OP, 3 calls on one cruise is more than usual. We have seen a lot of things happen to other cruisers, or heard an alarm, but not so many on just one cruise.

Our first cruise I remember early am hearing some sort of announcement that woke us and later heard that a passenger had passed. When we sailed on the Empress of the Seas one afternoon - 2 people (yes 2) were airlifted off at the same time - that was something to see! When we were on our Explorer cruise and got lost walking to our cabin and went the wrong way - we passed a cabin with a security guard sitting outside - glad we were not near that one! :eek:

My neighbor's father was on a cruise and when he got back to the ship after being at port, he sadly walked on the ship, had heart attack and passed. At least he went happy.

Three announcements on one cruise would not be normal but probably not unheard of. We have been onboard during Alpha Oscar calls as well as several airlifts. We have been met in port by ambulances many times. I know of at least 3 deaths on cruises that we were on but have probably been more. Most medical situations do not require Alpha calls so it is hard to know how often things happen. At the end of our Panama Canal cruise I saw 6 passengers leave the ship on stretchers.

As was already mentioned. When you put that many people in one place things can happen.

Archived