do people stay on board during port days?

Wieb

hello,

I am considering one of the baltic cruises with the marina. The cruise will stop in Helsinki for a day, but since I am from Finland, this stop is not so interesting for me. Are people staying board during port days and is there than anything of interest going on on the ship? for example, it sounds like a good day to enjoy the spa or something?

hello,

I am considering one of the baltic cruises with the marina. The cruise will stop in Helsinki for a day, but since I am from Finland, this stop is not so interesting for me. Are people staying board during port days and is there than anything of interest going on on the ship? for example, it sounds like a good day to enjoy the spa or something?

My husband and I have stayed on many port days..great day to do laundry, relax by the pool, read among many more things..there are always a few people like us on board so often have great conversations and meet new people..

Jancruz1

Yes, people do sometimes stay aboard on port days.

Many of the cruisers on Oceania are returning to ports they have visited 2 or 3 times before.

The ship will be very quiet with many cruisers touring. Oceania did offer afternoon tea and culinary classes etc on port days. I recall seeing a spa special on mani-pedi on our last cruise during at least one port day. I am sure you will enjoy your time on-board.

We stayed onboard for the majority of the port days on our 14-night Alaska cruise on Regatta last year, since we have been to Alaska many times and were looking forward to relaxing and experiencing our first Oceania cruise and to sailing round trip from our home port of San Francisco. And we did enjoy our cruise very much.

Alaskan itineraries are very scenic even when much is viewed from one's own balcony or public areas, especially if one has already visited many of the ports and done lots of shore excursions in the past, as we have.

We left the ship to visit Vancouver, Victoria, Astoria, and Ketchikan (for the delicious crab).

We are really happy that we took the 14-night cruise to Alaska and British Columbia on Oceania last year and we were hoping to repeat that itinerary on Oceania in 2013, but it's no longer round trip San Francisco and all the voyages are too short for us to consider flying.

I agree with Jan that port days on the ship are great times to get to know others on board. We had numerous fascinating conversations and enjoyed onboard activities on port days. We also appreciated that even on port days (with one exception) the Dining Room was open for lunch.

We only get off the ship when we have a strong interest in the port. Some ports, hold little interest, some more. More is not always better;)

On a recent South America cruise that hit 7 ports we only got off for 3 of them

I think you will be suprized at the delightful relaxation port days can hold .

On port intensive cruises, having a day break between ports only makes what ports you choose to be more enjoyable

We often stay on board during a port stop either due to the fact that we've been to that port before (more than a few times) or because the tours are too difficult for me to walk. Those are the days to lounge around. The library has lots of seating, there's no crowd in the Terrace Cafe or the computer room and rates in the spa are reduced. Turn a negative into a positive!

Hawaiidan

Which 3 did you think were worth the effort ;)

Thanks in advance

Joy

1. Puerto Areinas, to see Torre de Plain. Its about 200 miles from the port and home to the oft photographed Cerro Torre and Fitzroy. Its the mountains shown on all cruise adverts, however few have the option for trips to see them ! I chartered a plane for 6 with DAP airline, a regional carrier of us for about $600 pp for a 2 hour flight seeing... ( look up "Cerro Torre) one ship line I saw wanted $1200 pp

2. Ushauea, Took as trip to Terra Del Fuego national park

3. Montivedo, not because I loved the city, but because I could take a ferry to Buenos Aires, to connect to a flight to Iguazu falls and back ( over 2 nights at the falls) and then re-join the ship for its over night stay in Buenos Aires.

My focus is geology and natural history, while others were into culture but also many obessed to see penguines. not understanding that penguines on dry land, dig holes to live in and look pretty scruffy. Not these cute critters on iceflows. I get all the critters from whales to seals and dolphins where I live, so my focus was on things I cant see. Others, maybe you, have your own goals. Follow what you heart tells you, not someones opinion .

There are in truth no must sees anywhere.:o You are the sole judge of what to see.

We often stay on board during a port stop either due to the fact that we've been to that port before

1. Puerto Areinas, to see Torre de Plain. Its about 200 miles from the port and home to the oft photographed Cerro Torre and Fitzroy. Its the mountains shown on all cruise adverts, however few have the option for trips to see them ! I chartered a plane for 6 with DAP airline, a regional carrier of us for about $600 pp for a 2 hour flight seeing... ( look up "Cerro Torre) one ship line I saw wanted $1200 pp

2. Ushauea, Took as trip to Terra Del Fuego national park

3. Montivedo, not because I loved the city, but because I could take a ferry to Buenos Aires, to connect to a flight to Iguazu falls and back ( over 2 nights at the falls) and then re-join the ship for its over night stay in Buenos Aires.

My focus is geology and natural history, while others were into culture but also many obessed to see penguines. not understanding that penguines on dry land, dig holes to live in and look pretty scruffy. Not these cute critters on iceflows. I get all the critters from whales to seals and dolphins where I live, so my focus was on things I cant see. Others, maybe you, have your own goals. Follow what you heart tells you, not someones opinion .

There are in truth no must sees anywhere.:o You are the sole judge of what to see.

Well we are more likely to be like you guys and be picky and spend

quite a while onboard.

Living in Tassie we see plenty of Sea life and Scenery to some degree.

Bit like on a European Tour once, where everyone got tired of Cathedrals

and we then missed the Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Chartres. :rolleyes:

Still it is a bit hard to get tired of good Ntl Pks

Joy

This summer we turned many port days into unofficial sea days. What could be better? We were at a 5-star resort that just happensto float. In some ports where the majority of passengers go on excursions (like Port Said - 92% of the passengers were off the ship according to the GM), it felt like we had this beautiful 5-star resort entirely to ourselves.

I stopped in Hobart several years back and spent the day up

at Mole Creek karst., while others went wine tasting. I was enjoying the Dolomite:D.

Gee that would have been a long day .

Not sure why Cruise Lines like Oceania , Regent , Silverseas and Seabourne go to Hobart.

Almost a crime in my books when they could go to Freycinet-Peninsula and drop

anchor in Oyster Bay / Cole Bay.

mar-31-pt-4-art-w_20120323165338549845-420x0.jpg

Safire Lodge

Using Tenders people could go ashore at Freycinet-Lodge and after a small bus trip

climb up the brand new track to the Wine Glass Bay overlook

wineglass-bay-freycinet-peninsula-mt-amos3.jpg

Dinner at Anchor would be spectacular whilst the sun sets in the west

224669-freycinet-peninsula-australia.jpg

Next morning after an early start the sunrise around the Wine Glass Bay side would

be equally impressive for brekky , then onto Melbourne for 2 Nights then

Sydney for 2 nights

the-hazards-freycinet-peninsula-tas.jpg

Google Earth

Oyster Bay/Cole Bay

42° 8'3.92"S 148°15'38.65"E

Freycinet-Lodge Jetty

42° 8'6.31"S 148°18'1.94"E

Wine Glass Bay track start

42° 8'45.06"S 148°17'16.57"E

Archived