Canyon Ranch Unravels Spa Deck Mystery

JimandStan

From the horses mouth:

All Concierge Level and Suite guests can enjoy FREE unlimited access to the beautifully appointed Canyon Ranch SpaClub private Spa Terrace. All other guests can purchase Spa Terrace passes as follows:

1 day - $25.00

3 days - $60.00

5 days - $100.00

10 days - $175.00

Thank you Jesus!

From the horses mouth:

All Concierge Level and Suite guests can enjoy FREE unlimited access to the beautifully appointed Canyon Ranch SpaClub private Spa Terrace. All other guests can purchase Spa Terrace passes as follows:

1 day - $25.00

3 days - $60.00

5 days - $100.00

10 days - $175.00

Thank you Jesus!

Can passes be purchased with our credits?

Is the Spa Deck open when the ship is in port? I ask because on our next cruise we are not planning to take many excursions and this would be a great time to try the Spa Deck - and the spa for that matter!

Any time that the Spa is open, the Spa Deck is open, so yes it is open in Port.

024449.jpg On the R Ships

0000MARINA-Canyon-Ranch-Terrace.jpg.jpg On the Marina

234402.jpg On the Riviera

Jim&Stan

Thanks for all your photos - they're great.

One comment: the plans of the Riviera on the Oceania website (& on cruiseshipdeckplans) are not as up to date as your photos. Those plans don't show the expanded pool.:cool:

Is that the type of pool that creates the artificial currents for swimming in place?

Jim&Stan

Thanks for all your photos - they're great.

One comment: the plans of the Riviera on the Oceania website (& on cruiseshipdeckplans) are not as up to date as your photos. Those plans don't show the expanded pool.:cool:

Is that the type of pool that creates the artificial currents for swimming in place?

Well, to be fair, only the Riviera has the larger pool, so the Oceania plans are 50% correct.

113250.jpg

It is a Thallasotherapy Pool, basically a glorified hot tub filled with chemically enriched salt water.

Here is some info if your are curious as to the spa use of these pools.

Thalassotherapy

Thalassotherapy is a rediscovered spa treatment based on an ancient belief in the natural healing properties of seawater. The word itself was coined in 19th Century France from the Greek "thalassa" meaning sea and "therapeia" meaning healing. Today, thalassotherapy is used as an alternative treatment for medical conditions and has become a popular tourist attraction for relaxation and stress reduction as well as a favorite method of anti-aging healing by maintaining healthy circulation in the body.

How It Works

Thalassotherapy's main objective is to increase blood circulation that is reduced by the depletion of vital minerals caused by stress, poor diet, and pollution. Since the chemical make-up of seawater is so similar to that of human blood, immersions in water when heated to body temperature results in trace minerals and ions such as magnesium, potassium, and calcium sulphates to be absorbed directly by the skin. This not only increases blood circulation but has beneficial effects upon the pores of the skin such as toning and moisturizing.

Thalassotherapy (sometimes referred to as thalasso) also helps to detoxify and nourish skin, as well as to relax the body.

The Benefits of Thalassotherapy

Some of these benefits of thalassotherapy are:

muscle toning and skin cleansing

weight loss aided by improved metabolism

improved cardiovascular functioning

boosting of the immune system

improvement of sleep quality

relief of the symptoms of eczema, psoriasis, back and muscular pain, and stress

Thalassotherapy has also been used as an anti-smoking treatment

I'm assuming they would limit the number of purchases each day to avoid overcrowding... is that correct? Otherwise I would think it would turn into a chair hog war.

The Spa Deck will never be crowded while there are still "free" lounges on the Pool Deck or the deck above it. ;)

Riviera-Cruise-ship-Oceania-Cruises-09.jpg

Also, a great many people who don't use the Spa, don't even realize that the Spa Deck is an option.

200529.jpg

A third group finds the Spa Deck to be too distant from other treasured...let's just say "lounge chair amenities"....

Oceania_Marina_and_Riviera_Waves_Bar.jpg

The Spa Deck will never be crowded while there are still "free" lounges on the Pool Deck or the deck above it. ;)

Also, a great many people who don't use the Spa, don't even realize that the Spa Deck is an option.

200529.jpg

A third group finds the Spa Deck to be too distant from other treasured...let's just say "lounge chair amenities"....

Thanks for sharing the info.

200529.jpg

Wow, I'm surprised by this because I'm comparing it to Princess (I'm sure it's apples and oranges). But on Princess the Sanctuary is so popular during warm weathered cruises that there are people waiting daily to reserve a lounger at 5:30am! I would think this would be extremely popular on Oceania for a non-port intensive cruise.

But I have to admit after re-looking at your pictures... those loungers in the first pictures by the pool deck look like good afternoon nap loungers!

On the Nautica, many of us invaded the never-rented 'private cabanas' to get a view of sights from the bow.

How wonderful to have "legal" access to beautiful bow-front area of the ship!

I am so looking forward (oops, guess that's a pun?) to cruising thru the Strait of Gibraltar in the thalassotherapy pool on the Riviera in two weeks! Thanks for all the terrific info and photos that make this possible!

Wow, I'm surprised by this because I'm comparing it to Princess (I'm sure it's apples and oranges). But on Princess the Sanctuary is so popular during warm weathered cruises that there are people waiting daily to reserve a lounger at 5:30am! I would think this would be extremely popular on Oceania for a non-port intensive cruise.

Ah, but you are underestimating Oceania. On the larger ships, in addition to whatever you might find on the pool deck, in both sun or shade,

060457.jpg

Deck 16 has scads of Lounge chairs in the sun:

113806.jpg

not to mention both a Sanctuary AND a Patio for more rarefied lounging under cover on Deck 14

081659.jpg011922.jpg

Many people tell me that they are delighted to be able to lounge in the open air, yet out of the direct sun. Nonetheless, the Sanctuary and the Patio are never crowded.

I suppose that being spoilt for choice is one of the blessings of a mid-sized ship.

Ah, but you are underestimating Oceania. On the larger ships, in addition to whatever you might find on the pool deck, in both sun or shade,

060457.jpg

Deck 16 has scads of Lounge chairs in the sun:

113806.jpg

not to mention both a Sanctuary AND a Patio for more rarefied lounging under cover on Deck 14

081659.jpg011922.jpg

Many people tell me that they are delighted to be able to lounge in the open air, yet out of the direct sun. Nonetheless, the Sanctuary and the Patio are never crowded.

I suppose that being spoilt for choice is one of the blessings of a mid-sized ship.

Oh my! That looks awesome! Yes, I'm underestimating Oceania. I have a feeling after our cruise, we may never want to travel another cruise line but Oceania again (well, and Regent).

But on Princess people go to the Sanctuary to get away from the kids in the pool area

& up until recently this has not been a big problem on Oceania

Yes ..you will be spoiled for choosing other lines ;)

Lyn

But on Princess people go to the Sanctuary to get away from the kids in the pool area

& up until recently this has not been a big problem on Oceania

Yes ..you will be spoiled for choosing other lines ;)

Lyn

You are correct. We did the Sanctuary on our New Year's Panama Canal Cruise this last Jan and did so to get away from the kids. We just wanted comfy loungers in peace and quite. The nice part is that it was on Island Princess where the Sanctuary is at the aft with a private pool for the Sanctuary only (not all Princess ships are like this).

But I hate fighting for the Sanctuary. We arrived to port at 9:30am and we're the first to board (after back to back passengers) and barely secured their comfy loungers at the Sanctuary for the cruise! :eek: We hated that. But based on the pictures on this thread, it looks like there are many places to be comfortable on Oceania. I can't wait!!!

I'm tempted to not go on Windstar this Christmas and to do another Oceania cruise instead. But we would like to try Windstar at least once to compare. Their yachts will have just completed renovations that took place over this year.

You are correct. We did the Sanctuary on our New Year's Panama Canal Cruise this last Jan and did so...

But I hate fighting for the Sanctuary. We arrived to port at 9:30am and we're the first to board (after back to back passengers) and barely secured their comfy loungers at the Sanctuary for the cruise! :eek: We hated that.

Can you explain "secured their comfy loungers ...for the cruise"? Do you reserve them for the cruise on the other line?

Frances

Can you explain "secured their comfy loungers ...for the cruise"? Do you reserve them for the cruise on the other line?

Frances

I was referring to the Sanctuary on Princess Cruise Lines. Princess allows a certain number of loungers to be reserved for the whole cruise at the Sanctuary. And let me also say that there is a charge for this. It's a first come first reserve basis. The first people onboard are back to back cruisers. So they would have first choice of reserving specific loungers at the Sanctuary if they so choose.

We were first in line to board and had priority boarding status (but were not back to back cruisers). When they started boarding we obtained our cruise cards and immediately boarded. Now the crazy part. For boarding Island Princess in Ft. Lauderdale, they had 2 boarding gangways... those booked in cabins towards the bow had a gangway and those towards the aft had a gangway. We had a cabin towards the bow. However, the Sanctuary on this ship is at the aft. Add to the fact that our gangway towards the bow entered at a lower deck than the other and we nearly didn't get to the Sanctuary in time. Those entering the aft gangway were already at an advantage of getting to the Sanctuary right away. We barely got there in time to "secure," meaning reserve, 2 loungers for the entire cruise. On popular warm weathered cruises, the Sanctuary is very popular and typically books within 15 minutes after boarding begins.

I love the Sanctuary, but it is a pain to reserve if you really want it for the whole cruise. If you don't get it for the whole cruise, there are some loungers left that can be reserved on the daily basis... I saw people up there at 5:30am waiting and hoping to reserve a lounger. :eek:

Based on JimandStan's pictures, the entire ship looks really inviting and like a "Princess" Sanctuary. Loungers are not as comfortable in other areas of Princess, but Oceania looks like a dream!

Archived