Eli's Tours

nicknack

My husband and I just returned Sunday from our cruise on RCCL's Adventure of the Seas. We were in Antigua on Wednesday and were booked on Eli's Eco-Tour. What a fantastic time we had! A bit of hiking if you wish (bring sneakers as you will be climbing on rather sharp rock formations), several swimming and snorkelling stops, a delicious lunch, great staff, and tons of information are packed into this tour. If you decide to go with Eli, have a wonderful time!:)

My husband and I went on Eli's tour in April when we cruised the southern Caribbean and it was our favorite tour! Eli was not feeling well that day so we did not meet him but the crew were fabulous. These guys really know how to entertain and they give you many options so the tour can be fun for everyone. There were about 20 of us, a good number and plenty of room on the boat. We visited a couple of islands and did some hiking (again this was optional, snorkeling was another option at the island). After the hike on bird island we were given some time to swim. During our ride we were given a lot of information about different islands we passed, we also motored around the mangroves. We stopped for a delicious lunch, served on the boat, barbeque chicken, pasta salad, regular salad and the yummiest banana bread I've ever tasted! The crew always kept your drink full - juice and soda before snorkeling but on the journey home they had some very yummy rum punch. At hells gate we had the option to snorkel in the Atlantic, hike on hells gate (a coral island with some very sharp rock, good shoes a must), relax in the natural pool of water (jucuzzi) or relax in the sun on the boat. Finally on the way back they stopped at another area for snorkeling, which was excellent!! Again, I can't say enough wonderful things about this tour and the crew, they really were great!

Carol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It sounds like Carol did the original Eco-Tour, which doesn't do the stingrays. That would be the new tour. We'll be seeing Eli for the 4th time this January, haven't decided whether to do the Eco-Tour again (we love it :D ) or do the new tour. Taking our 20 year old with us this time, and I think we'll let him make the decision - I know both will be great!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been an avid reader of the boards for few years and have signed up for things that people have raved about but this was the first time I was disappointed. I found Elil to be arrogant. The day we sailed with him he ran out of fins and life preservers so my friend who had never snorkeled before got tired and nervous and wouldn't snorkel again for the rest of the trip. He seemed to go on and on about his great dislike for the Stanford family and what they were doing to the island, etc... Not to be all negative, he did have a great staff and we did have a great time at Hell's gate.

It is an "eco" tour and the Stanford family is ruining the ecology of the island. We were there 1 1/2 years ago and actually went onto the Stanford's island which they have now made inaccessible. It was alot different then.

• 2 months later...

Okay - I have to agree with Timetogoagain about Eli's demeanor. He was a bit snobbish. Although the food was wonderful, there really wasn't enough. His crew took their food first and piled it on. I was next to last to get food and there wasn't any salad left and not much of anything else either....But in spite of the negatives that I posted, we had a great time and would still recommend this tour to anyone.

We've been on Eli's Eco-Tour three times, and are scheduled to go on his new X-Treme Circumnav tour in January. We've always had a great time, and have never found Eli to be snobbish or arrogant. He's never been anything but entertaining. Aside from being very knowledgeable, he has some great stories. Make sure to ask him about the old cannon guarding the harbor - he has some friends who decided to see if it still worked, and the Jolly Roger story.

He is very concerned about the ecology of his country. The first two times we were able to go to the Stanford's island; by the third time it had all changed.

And as for food, we've always had plenty - I've never seen them run out. Unless he's carrying far more crew than he used to, and the woman who makes his lunches didn't account for that...

We can't wait for January!

• 2 weeks later...

We were booked with Eli a year ago, but we unfortunatly had to cancel that cruise. So when we rescheduled a cruise for this next April which will take us to Antigua we were quick to rebook. My 76 yo mother will be with us. She is healthy and loves to swim and snorkle, but has bad knees and the hiking parts aren't for her. She plans to hang around the boat while others are hiking and do more swimming & snorkling (I'll probably stay with her while DH hikes). We will be on the original eco-tour. Any words of wisdom for us from those of you who have already been on this tour?

Each time we've taken Eli's Eco-Tour there have been people that have chosen to stay on board at various times, skipping the snorkeling, Hell's Gate or Bird Island (and sometimes all three). Every single one of them enjoyed their day, and I think your mom will, too. There's usually more than one person lounging around on the boat, so she most likely have someone to chat with, even if you chose to get off the boat.

Each time we've taken Eli's Eco-Tour there have been people that have chosen to stay on board at various times, skipping the snorkeling, Hell's Gate or Bird Island (and sometimes all three). Every single one of them enjoyed their day, and I think your mom will, too. There's usually more than one person lounging around on the boat, so she most likely have someone to chat with, even if you chose to get off the boat.

Thanks for the reassurance! We're really looking forward to this tour!

• 3 weeks later...

So it sounds like there are always people who stay on the boat. I'm contemplating signing up for this tour, but we're traveling in a party of 7 - some of us are able bodied and some of us are not.

Do you imagine those who won't/can't get off the boat at all would enjoy themselves? I'm wondering if this is something my husband and I should do on our own. But they all love nature and seeing beautiful scenery. I'm just not sure this is the right trip for the non-able bodied.

And how hard is it to get into the boat? My husband's father is not very steady on his feet.

Any thoughts?

So it sounds like there are always people who stay on the boat. I'm contemplating signing up for this tour, but we're traveling in a party of 7 - some of us are able bodied and some of us are not.

Do you imagine those who won't/can't get off the boat at all would enjoy themselves? I'm wondering if this is something my husband and I should do on our own. But they all love nature and seeing beautiful scenery. I'm just not sure this is the right trip for the non-able bodied.

And how hard is it to get into the boat? My husband's father is not very steady on his feet.

Any thoughts?

Okay, first off, yep, there are always people who stay on the boat, with the exception of lunch on the beach, at least in our experience, and I've never heard anyone say they didn't enjoy their day. Last time, we had lunch on the boat, so that you really don't have to get off to have lunch. You do have to climb a ladder to get on to the boat. It might be difficult for your father-in-law. I'd go to http://www.adventureantigua.com and take a look at some of the pictures - Eli has made sure to show pictures of the ladders. And I'd e-mail for their advice. Another couple of thoughts - the boat's moving when your trying to get onto it at the dock (tied up, but not motionless), and might present a challenge getting into it. There'd be help, but it may be a challenge. Also, the dock at the beginning and end of the day is the only "dry landing" getting into/out of the boat. Everything else is a wet landing, and should your father-in-law choose to get out, will have to deal with getting out into the water and be subject to whatever water motion there is. I'm usually not one to dissuade people from this tour, but I'd check with Adventure Antigua and maybe consider the two of you doing this on your own.

Jodi

Eli's tour was everything it was touted to be. He provided a full day of adventure for us. It's been about 2 years since we went on that adventure and we recall it being a bit strenuous for us over fifties types, but we were all able to complete the day. It provided us enough adventure to last us awhile. LOL. You do need mobility to do it all but his new boat ( a few years old now) is nice to be on regardless.

......John

Do you always have the option of lunch onboard or on the beach? I am scheduled to go in a few weeks and don't know if doc will have cleared me yet for the "salt water activities" or "ladder climbing".

Have always heard this is a great tour and booked it months ago. I have recently had medical issues though so I was just planning on staying on the boat and letting dh go hike, snorkel, etc. But usually I am the one off the boat and he is the one staying on since he really doesn't like getting wet (swimmers' ear).

Will we be ok for lunch if we stay onboard? Will we enjoy the trip if we both just stay onboard? I realize we will miss part of the "adventure" if we just stay onboard but are we paying for something that we really are missing the best part of? (Should we let someone else have our spot? Don't want to take a spot on a tour that we wouldn't enjoy and not let someone else go...if it is a sold out day.)

Thanks for your input.

Hey Skiiergirl!

Just bumped into your post and thought I would say HI and throw in my 2 cents on Eli's Tour. I think you will be just fine staying onboard. We took the trip last Thanksgiving and had lunch onboard, with enough food for everyone. I did not snorkel, just lounged in the sun and watched everyone else splashing around. I found Eli to be extremely informative. I sat inside while he was driving the boat so I could clearly hear what he had to say and I learned a lot. I did take the hike to the scenic overlook and it was ok but not the highlight of the day and you wouldn't be missing much by skipping it. I wish we were cruising together again this Thanksgiving! fergie

Hey Fergie....I was thinking about you guys the other day. Wish you guys were going with us too. Can't remember if I told you or not....everyone cancelled on us so Mr. Ski and I are going just the two of us for both weeks.

Thanks for the info on Eli. I might be able to do some stuff by then. Doc says cruise is ok and will be good for me but I haven't asked about water activities yet. She says might can golf by then but no promises.

I had forgotten you guys did Eli. Thanks again for the info.

Hugs to the rest of the group for us!

Eli's tour was everything it was touted to be. He provided a full day of adventure for us. It's been about 2 years since we went on that adventure and we recall it being a bit strenuous for us over fifties types, but we were all able to complete the day. It provided us enough adventure to last us awhile. LOL. You do need mobility to do it all but his new boat ( a few years old now) is nice to be on regardless.

......John

:D We're 50-somethings, too (although I wasn't when we starting doing Eli's tour :rolleyes: ) and actually don't find it a particularly the strenuous day. The most strenuous part of the day is Hell's Gate - and from my experience, it's not as challenging as the rock wall on board the ship :o

Jodi

Unless you stay on the boat all day, your feet are going to get wet - very wet. At Bird Island, or any other island he stops at, it's a wet landing. You go down the ladder into the water and wade to shore. At Hell's Gate, it's a short swim over to Hell's Gate. I carry my shoes. You don't want flip flops, because they're hard to hike/climb in (I've tried it). Sport sandals, like Teva's or similar, or water shoes work.

Archived