Gulet Cruises Bodrum

Hello, has anyone arranged one right from the port? If so, any recommendations? Is it safe to eat and drink on them? I am curious as it seems that we should be able to hop on one for 6 to 7 hours for 30 euro per person (78 U.S/couple) which is considerably less than what is being offered by the cruise line ($340/couple but includes a stop at the castle - which is not of much interest to me.) Our travel agent is recommending the cruise excursion thinking it will be more reliable and safe than picking one up in the marina. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hello, has anyone arranged one right from the port? If so, any recommendations? Is it safe to eat and drink on them? I am curious as it seems that we should be able to hop on one for 6 to 7 hours for 30 euro per person (78 U.S/couple) which is considerably less than what is being offered by the cruise line ($340/couple but includes a stop at the castle - which is not of much interest to me.) Our travel agent is recommending the cruise excursion thinking it will be more reliable and safe than picking one up in the marina. Thanks in advance for your advice.

In 2008, I went on the ship's excursion which included the castle, which has a wonderful museum of underwater archeaology and great views of the entire Bodrum harbor. There were about 10-12 passengers on each gulet; the lunch was delicious, nobody got sick, the swimming was wonderful. I even bought ice cream from an ice cream boat that comes out to sell to people on gulets. Other people on our cruise hired their own gulets and seemed to have a good time. I don't know what their lunch was like. This decision depends on your comfort level of negotation with Turkish gulet owners. Perhaps it would be better to have around 6 people from your cruise hire a gulet together- then you have somebody to talk to in English no matter what the gulet owner's English is like. Do not make arrangements with gulet owners you do not feel comfortable with- try and get your group's impression of reliability of gulet's owner. There's no formal lecture on the gulet, they just take you where it's good to go swimming and where its quiet to eat lunch. If you go on excursion, the guide will talk a little and answer questions. Wear very comfortable clothes and a hat, bring beach bag, sun tan lotion, dry stuff and towel to change into, do not wear expensive jewelry or watches. The ship's excursion has built in quality control both of reliability of gulet and lunch, go by yourself there are no guarantees. Depends on your individual comfort level. Have a good time on your gulet ride! Some of the Turkish people go on these gulets for their honeymoons. I think the cabins are a little too small for me to want to spend overnight in them. But the outside deck is very nice for an afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

We spent 4 days/ nights on a gulet sailing from Bodrum several years ago. It was fantastic! Food in Turkey is among the best in the world..so is the bread..the food on the gulet was just delicious, simple, fresh & healthy. Lots of interesting ways serving many vegetables...makes a change from France where vegetables are rarely offered in quantity, & an omelette is considered the only vegetarian option! We had fresh fish each day, cooked & caught by the captain of the boat. In fact, writing about it now just makes me want to do it all again! So many places in this wide world to visit, it makes it difficult to go back, but we will!:D

We did not hire a gulet as we had lots to see and do in Bodrum, but would do this if we go back. There were all kinds of them and I would agree to negotiate once you are there. The people were very friendly in Bodrum and the food is wonderful.

• 10 months later...

Archived