to Wendy the Wanderer or any other South Pacific Cruiser!

tropicalkerry2002

Hoping to book a South Pacific cruise for 2014, from Sydney, to NZ and on to Papeete. This will likely be in March, if schedule is similar to 2013.

We want our balcony to have afternoon SHADE, not sun.

Can anyone help me figure out which side might be best, post or starboard? Or does the fact that we're so close to the equinox make it a moot point?

Thanks!

Hi. I've never done the NZ - Papeete trip. I'd have to study the position of the sun on that route, going pretty well northeast for the duration of the open water portion of the cruise. I'm no astronomer or meteorologist, you'd have to think about the position of the sun as it crosses the earth. I would imagine that afternoon shade might mean port side. But with the ship going NE that's probably not completely accurate.

Sorry I can't help more than that. Sounds like a great trip.

(And just to add, in the Society Islands themselves, where I know you're probably not going, it doesn't really matter, since the ships tend to swing around while at anchor.)

I knew you hadn't done the cruise, but knew you'd been in the SP....

I am thinking port is the side I want too, but hope others will answer my question.

I went thru the same thing for my TA from Rome to Rio...got answers for both. I ended up picking the correct side( from my calculations) for afternoon shade, THANK HEAVENS! Spent tons of time on the balcony!

In fact several times on Regent with a penthouse balcony. and once with a regular one. The directionl heading ,DH, that you will be on is very close to where the sun rises and sets are going to put the sun, very slightly to your port in the afternoon and also slightly to starboard in the morning. Both sides of the cabins decks get very little sun from my experience

Port will have a slight bit more.

Sailing from Tahiti to Hawaii you get a aspect as the ship is sailing south to north. You will be about 30 days shy of the suns most northern transit.

However you will be on a pretty much eastern DH. all the way, even to Lima.

Hoping to book a South Pacific cruise for 2014, from Sydney, to NZ and on to Papeete. This will likely be in March, if schedule is similar to 2013.

Can anyone help me figure out which side might be best, post or starboard? Or does the fact that we're so close to the equinox make it a moot point?

Thanks!

Did a similar calculation for our Papeete to Lima next April and came away that we wanted port so we had benefit of sunrse and sunset. So switched into 7128 from 7133. The extended veranda will give us both shade and sun during the day. The sun will be approximately 60 days from it's northern most orbit at cruise conception and grow shorter as we journey north-east.

Congrates for the forward thinking and deck plan observation. It's the little details which can polish or tarnish a cruise.:):)

T

This will likely be in March, if schedule is similar to 2013.

Thanks!

From Melbourne via Hobart to Milford it wont matter as you will

probably be crook from the seas unless you are lucky :o

Starboard from Chistchurch to Tonga as you are heading near

enough to North :D

Starboard from Tonga to Papeete as you are heading mainly East

and between Tonga and the Cook Islands the Sun will nearly come

around enough to see a Sunset ?? from your Deck over the Stern :cool:

Checked this out on Google Earth

From Melbourne via Hobart to Milford it wont matter as you will

probably be crook from the seas unless you are lucky :o

Starboard from Chistchurch to Tonga as you are heading near

enough to North :D

Starboard from Tonga to Papeete as you are heading mainly East

and between Tonga and the Cook Islands the Sun will nearly come

around enough to see a Sunset ?? from your Deck over the Stern :cool:

Checked this out on Google Earth

You make me chuckle with the use of "crook". I doubt many Yanks can relate too that word or others such as "tucker" "give it a go" and so many more which became a part of my lingo when I was sixteen and living in New Zealand (Putararu North Island) and working in a panel beating shop, living in Mrs. Fisher"s Boarding House for 2 pound ten a week and playing the nags at Hamliton, Matamata , Cambridge, Rotorura and even the Auckland Cup. Not to mention the rainbow trout fishing on Willowbrook farm. Went there on Waitomo a WW 2 Liberty Ship from Vancouver to Wellinton...30 days at ten knots. Can Oceania match that luxury? :)

and spook: you have the extended balcony, but if you didn't...and wanted a shady balcony in the afternoon, which side would you pick?

I am now rethinking that I may want starboard... looked at a map and tropic of capricorn...think sun would be pretty evenly on port AND starboard around Mar 21, then be more on port side in afternoon as the axis switches as Northern Hemisphere heads into summer....

Am I correct?

I would agree starboard is slightly better and port is more likely to get the late afternoon sun and noon should put it closer to overhead where the deck above you will offer protection. As you go south then west before heading north-east you will be fine on starboard time.

Archived