Fascination Man Overboard 8-27-12? (MERGED THREADS)

ThinkingWoman

It was caused by a dead person... comparing loss of a port due to weather with a person who is dead makes no sense to me...

The comparsion is due to the loss of a port. Now if the death was a family member or friend... well that is a different story. I can understand their entire cruise being ruined due to the death of that friend.

This experience will forever change my feeling of carefree cruising.

My 20 year old daughter and I were taking our first cruise together on the fascination. After exploring the ship the first day, we settled down for a good night's sleep. At 2:05am, I was startled by the Captain's short announcement, "BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO, Portside." I thought this could not be good.

Later, 30 minutes later we had heard another announcement from the Captain, stating that a passenger "fell" overboard (a later announcement said "jumped"). The announcement also stated that the fallen passenger's family and friends have been notified, this was stated so it would calm other passengers so that they would know that it was not their loved one that was in danger.

My daughter and I prayed for the missing passenger, the family and friends, the crew, and coast guard. And we continued to pray throughout the cruise, and even now.

I don't think anyone is blaming Carnival or the USCG. The blame is being placed where it belongs, on the action of one individual. This was not an accident nor an act of nature. It was an intentional act by one person that altered the vacation of 2000 people not associated with him. And as such, it is perfectly natural for the passengers on board that ship to be disappointed, or angry.

They'll get over it, but for right now, anger isnt something they should be flamed for.

I, too have kept quiet about this situation, and I don't think that I could have said my feelings any better than Aquahound did above! Where's the LOVE button?:rolleyes:

It was caused by a dead person... comparing loss of a port due to weather with a person who is dead makes no sense to me...

Apparantly you can't read. Reread it slower. My only comparison was a port loss and "disappointment" caused by nature, it was clear it would happen. My port wasn't cancelled because of some inept person jumping, thinking of no one else.

For those of us who refuse to speculate or have inappropriate and insensitive debates, if anyone sees any accounts of this incident or if Aquahound is able to share what he finds out, please post here. I recall that the initial assessment of this was "crazy" so it sounds like there is more to this story than has been released.

A man has died. We will never know the whole story. The Vets fighting the war have only multiple tours to look forward to. Who knows what that will do to someone? We can only thank them for their service.

To the whiners on here: Suck it up and get over it! Cruising is what it is. You will have good ones along with the bad. I have had hurricanes and fires in my time and lived to tell about them. At this point an uneventful cruise is boring.

Hi,

First time posting and first time cruising.

We were on the Fascination when this happened.

I also recall the captain's "Bravo, Bravo, Port" message over the PA system. At first I thought the captain made a mistake broadcasting to everyone since we rarely get messages broadcast over our in-room PA speaker. It was just the Bravo, Bravo message, nothing followed afterward.

Then the captain made the announcement around 2-2:30 in the morning about what had happened. His tone was very professional. Later when the ship reached the point where the man had jumped, the lights along the side of the ship came on.

The waves were very rough, perhaps due to hurricane Isaac nearby.

I stayed up until about 4. Being on Rivera deck I was right at the waterline, so I could see as far as the ship lights were shining. I hoped that somehow I could be lucky enough to spot something and report it.

I did see a blinking light go by toward 3-4AM. We later found out that crew had thrown several life rings overboard to mark the spot, each life ring had a water activated light attached to them.

In the morning there was another announcement by the captain that the man had not been found and that we had been released from the search by the US coast guard. As I recall, the cruise director said the search was ongoing from 2AM until about 7AM.

During the night I did see the coast guard ship also searching, and I heard the coast guard helicopter as well. I could feel the ship come to a slow and just start turning around. Again, I must mention that the waves were quite rough that night.

In the morning we received this letter under our door explaining again what had happened and our new port schedule. My girlfriend and I had also hoped to visit Key West, from what we had read Key West was a much better destination than Free Port.

But considering that someone had gone overboard, and that loved ones were onboard and that a whole network of people were about the be impacted upon learning the news, we just kept him in our thoughts.

The captain and our cruise director Eric Brouman did a good job comforting passengers and lifting our spirits again at the Port presentation to tell us about Free Port.

Here is the letter we received under our door the morning after the incident.

Carnival_August_28_2012_Letter_Low.jpg

Here is the text of the captain's letter in case the image link goes down:

August 28, 2012

Greetings from the bridge,

We hope you are enjoying your cruise so far aboard the beautiful Carnival Fascination. We just need a moment of your time to provide you with you some information regarding a change to our scheduled itinerary.

As you know, at approximately 2:07 AM, a guest was witnessed going overboard by a member of his group and members of our team. Several life rings were thrown into the water to mark the location where the guest was seen jumping in the water. As per standard protocol, the ship immediately maneuvered to the location where the guest was last seen. All appropriate authorities were notified of the situation. Additionally, US Coast Guard authorities deployed a rescue boat and helicopter to assist us in our search and rescue efforts.

Unfortunately, the missing guest has still not been found. Although we have been released by the USCG from the search and rescue operation, their efforts will continue.

Given the delay, we are unable to make our call into Key West. We know how much you were looking forward to your time ashore and regret this sudden turn of events. However, we will visit Nassau tomorrow and Freeport on Thursday. Below is the revised itinerary.

Day Port of Call Arrive Depart

Tue Fun Day @ Sea

Wed Nassau, The Bahamas 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Thu Freeport, The Bahamas 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Fri Fun Day @ Sea

Sat Jacksonville, FL 8:00 AM

Shore excursions purchased for Key West will be automatically refunded to your Sail & Sign account. For information on fun tours in Freeport, please visit the Shore Excursion desk, located on Empress, deck 7 - forward.

All of us are deeply saddened by this tragic event. As we continue to provide support to his family, please join us in keeping our missing guest and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Sincerely,

Captain Roberto Costi

Hi,

First time posting and first time cruising.

We were on the Fascination when this happened.

I also recall the captain's "Bravo, Bravo, Port" message over the PA system. At first I thought the captain made a mistake broadcasting to everyone since we rarely get messages broadcast over our in-room PA speaker. It was just the Bravo, Bravo message, nothing followed afterward.

Then the captain made the announcement around 2-2:30 in the morning about what had happened. His tone was very professional. Later when the ship reached the point where the man had jumped, the lights along the side of the ship came on.

The waves were very rough, perhaps due to hurricane Isaac nearby.

I stayed up until about 4. Being on Rivera deck I was right at the waterline, so I could see as far as the ship lights were shining. I hoped that somehow I could be lucky enough to spot something and report it.

I did see a blinking light go by toward 3-4AM. We later found out that crew had thrown several life rings overboard to mark the spot, each life ring had a water activated light attached to them.

In the morning there was another announcement by the captain that the man had not been found and that we had been released from the search by the US coast guard. As I recall, the cruise director said the search was ongoing from 2AM until about 7AM.

During the night I did see the coast guard ship also searching, and I heard the coast guard helicopter as well. I could feel the ship come to a slow and just start turning around. Again, I must mention that the waves were quite rough that night.

In the morning we received this letter under our door explaining again what had happened and our new port schedule. My girlfriend and I had also hoped to visit Key West, from what we had read Key West was a much better destination than Free Port.

But considering that someone had gone overboard, and that loved ones were onboard and that a whole network of people were about the be impacted upon learning the news, we just kept him in our thoughts.

The captain and our cruise director Eric Brouman did a good job comforting passengers and lifting our spirits again at the Port presentation to tell us about Free Port.

Here is the letter we received under our door the morning after the incident.

Carnival_August_28_2012_Letter_Low.jpg

Thank You for the information. Also thanks for letting us know how the CD and crew handled the situation. Good to see that while you had been affected by this tragic event, you still enjoyed your cruise as best as you could.

Archived