Med. private guides tip advice needed

pkamison

For me tipping tour guides is not so much based on a percentage, but based on other factors: How long was the tour, how much work did the guide do, what was the quality of the guide, how much special attention did I receive by the guide, and how many people are on the tour. Tour guides in the Mediterranean are accustomed to receiving gratuities much in the same manner as in the U.S., so you do not have to tip any less to them than you would do for a similar tour in the U.S.

It's quite common to see Europeans giving a small tip to a tour guide, but it's also quite common to see people walking past without. I would reckon on giving around €2 to €5, and increasing it to €7 or €8 if the driver has been especially helpful.

I was on a tour last year in Corfu, and there were more people not giving than who were- it's not something which comes naturally to many Europeans. I suppose we expect anyone in employment to earn a living wage, so tipping is for any extra help or service. If you give any more, it will be received with great pleasure!

Jo.

Archived