Disney Magic- Help! Potty Training and Kids Club Access

Bekachan

So,..I don;t know why I didn't know that my 3 year old HAD to been potty trained but we are leaving on Sunday for a 5 Day cruise to Canada and am freakin out b/c I want him to be in the club with his 6 y/o brother and all their friends.

-Assuming I get him "quasi" potty trained, should he be okay?

-What if he has an accident?

-How do they enforce the policy?

-Can he wear pull ups?

Thanks for all help and advice!!!!

So,..I don;t know why I didn't know that my 3 year old HAD to been potty trained but we are leaving on Sunday for a 5 Day cruise to Canada and am freakin out b/c I want him to be in the club with his 6 y/o brother and all their friends.

-Assuming I get him "quasi" potty trained, should he be okay?

-What if he has an accident?

-How do they enforce the policy?

-Can he wear pull ups?

Thanks for all help and advice!!!!

The rule is fully potty-trained to be in the clubs without a parent. Fully potty trained, in DCL-speak, is able to undress, use the toilet, clean up, redress, and wash hands with no assistance from the CMs. The CMs are not allowed to help.

You can certainly go to the club and talk to the CMs there. They may let you do a trial run and see how it goes. I don't really know what "quasi" trained would be. He either is or isn't. If you feel he is able to make it an hour or so at a time, maybe you could place him in the club and come back and get him every hour or so for a potty run.

If he has an accident, they will page you to come. I believe enforcement is handled by the fact if you leave him and he has an accident and continues to have accidents, they would flag his ID when you try to check him in.

Sorry, don't know if pull-ups will be acceptable.

I will point out that the kids clubs have Open House daily for entire families to enjoy together. You could take him there with his brother during those times.

Beyond that, I really suggest you talk to the CMs at the club on embarkation day and ask these questions.

:)

Pull Ups are not allowed. They have a "one accident" rule. First accident (which is an actual accident or a problem requiring assistance like wiping, dressing, etc.) they'll page you to come get him, assist him, and he can return. Second accident, he's out for the rest of the cruise, no excuses, no third chance. Talking to the crew won't matter, it's a matter of safety and sanitation. If he can't handle himself, he doesn't belong in the club.

Pull Ups are not allowed. They have a "one accident" rule. First accident (which is an actual accident or a problem requiring assistance like wiping, dressing, etc.) they'll page you to come get him, assist him, and he can return. Second accident, he's out for the rest of the cruise, no excuses, no third chance. Talking to the crew won't matter, it's a matter of safety and sanitation. If he can't handle himself, he doesn't belong in the club.

Can you please direct me to where you found this information?

Thanks!

Can you please direct me to where you found this information?

Thanks!

This is what many people have been told. The actual policy is only children who are FULLY potty trained may participate, but they try to be nice and give a second chance.

Youth Activities are open to children ages 3-17 that are fully potty trained,

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/services/guests-with-disabilities/

This is what many people have been told. The actual policy is only children who are FULLY potty trained may participate, but they try to be nice and give a second chance.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/services/guests-with-disabilities/

What I think is FRUSTRATING and FASCINATING is the fact that when you go to disneycruise.com and click on the clubs and/or FAQ there is NO MENTION @ children needing to be potty trained. I have found reference to the pool but that is all and in your link it is for guests with disabilities.

What I think is FRUSTRATING and FASCINATING is the fact that when you go to disneycruise.com and click on the clubs and/or FAQ there is NO MENTION @ children needing to be potty trained. I have found reference to the pool but that is all and in your link it is for guests with disabilities.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. You're welcome. :rolleyes:

We are going on the same cruise on the 7th with a 2 1/2 yo and a 3 1/2 yo. My 3yo is fully trained but my 2yo is not. When we asked about it booking, they told us that she would be able to go with him in the club and not have to go in the nursery as long as she doesn't need to be changed often. I really don't see the issues with this, if you give me a pager and the kid needs to be changed, just page me! Sheesh. ;)

We only cruised on NCL and they don't have any nursery only 2 and up and won't change at all but they will allow diapered kids in, they just page you if they need you.

I'm not sure what to expect when we get on the Disney ship, though. Will your 3yo be able to go into the nursery then? I don't care if my two are together as long as I have some sort of babysitting at some point! ;)

I hope it works out for you...please report back when you return!!! have a great time!

We are going on the same cruise on the 7th with a 2 1/2 yo and a 3 1/2 yo. My 3yo is fully trained but my 2yo is not. When we asked about it booking, they told us that she would be able to go with him in the club and not have to go in the nursery as long as she doesn't need to be changed often. I really don't see the issues with this, if you give me a pager and the kid needs to be changed, just page me! Sheesh. ;)

Unfortunately what the people in a cube farm in Kissimmee tell you and what the reality on the ship actually is are often two completely different things.

I didn't look at the website, but the actual printed DCL book has it listed right on the Kids Club page.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Crew. We just got off the cruise today and this is what happened...I went along with the adage, "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission." When I checked my son in for the club they didn't even ask to confirm of he was potty trained. I took him to the kid's club for 1-2 hour intervals and he did wear a pull-up (with underpants over them) and he had NO accidents. (Not to be graphic but I also knew when his bowel movements were so I would take him to the room for that 2-3 hour times period. If you are a vigilant parent and make friends with the counselors, I think you will be fine although again we never had an accidient so I dont know what would have happened.

But...he did wear a pull up and no one asked and no one could check to see if he had one on.

Best of luck all you mommies and daddys!

It was a GREAT cruise.

Hello Crew. We just got off the cruise today and this is what happened...I went along with the adage, "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission." When I checked my son in for the club they didn't even ask to confirm of he was potty trained. I took him to the kid's club for 1-2 hour intervals and he did wear a pull-up (with underpants over them) and he had NO accidents. (Not to be graphic but I also knew when his bowel movements were so I would take him to the room for that 2-3 hour times period. If you are a vigilant parent and make friends with the counselors, I think you will be fine although again we never had an accidient so I dont know what would have happened.

But...he did wear a pull up and no one asked and no one could check to see if he had one on.

Best of luck all you mommies and daddys!

It was a GREAT cruise.

Glad to hear it was a success. My son turned 3 on Aug 26th and we are in the midst of potty training. We don't cruise until April, so I am hoping and praying we will be all good by then. He would not enjoy the nursery and his sister would miss him! Fingers crossed!

Glad to hear you had a good experience too. ;) We just got back today and my 2 1/2 year old was welcomed into the club for 3-7 year olds WITH pull ups. They saw her and said she can stay in there and they would just call when she needed to be changed. There wasn't a lot of kids on the ship so I think they had some room to play around with the rules. ;) She even spent a lot of her time in the Oceaneer Lab which is more for older kids but my little princess can hold her own! :) She was doing art and activities with the "big" kids while my 3 year old was in the little kid area. SMH. ;)

I was up front with them and basically said, look tell me what to do with her, I'm not trying to get around the system. That's when they called a manager and made a decision. Lucky us! :)

The kids LOVED the cruise!

So, fully potty trained is really no assistance at all? My neighbor's 5 year old still needs help wiping after #2, and often needs help wrangling with clothes. Any hope for my 3 year old? He's my definition of "fully potty trained," in that he never has accidents in his clothes, but he will need help wiping and sometimes has trouble with his clothes.

So, fully potty trained is really no assistance at all? My neighbor's 5 year old still needs help wiping after #2, and often needs help wrangling with clothes. Any hope for my 3 year old? He's my definition of "fully potty trained," in that he never has accidents in his clothes, but he will need help wiping and sometimes has trouble with his clothes.

Yes, the CMs in the kids clubs are not allowed to "help" in any way with dressing/undressing, or wiping/cleaning up.

My suggestion is do as OP did, make sure your child has used the toilet before being checked into the club, and then returning every hour or so to help them youself (by taking them out of the club and to the toilet yourself). You won't be able to use the toilet facilities in the club (adults are not allowed there).

:)

Thanks for the suggestions.

My 5 yr old is fully trained, but my just turned 3 isn't. She also has a consistent #2 time. She'll just be with us at that time. For the others, she's.... inconsistent. At home, she's fine. But, she's had accidents ever since she started her new preschool this fall. I think she gets too excited/distracted and doesn't tell them when she needs to go. If you tell her to go, she'll go, but it doesn't sound like the counselors do that.

May have to do the "pop in every hour to take her" trick, altho I'm not positive how much time they'll spend there. Grandparents are coming along and I suspect they'll want to maximize grandparent/grandkid time.

Just returned from the beautiful Fantasy on Saturday. Here was my experience. My kid is 3 and potty-trained during the day (still wears Pullups at night). The counselors will NOT help with your child's bathroom process (no help in wiping, go the bathroom, etc).

However, I did tell them that she may get excited the first day in the club and have an accident due to the overwhelming nature of it all. They said "no problem" and they expected that. They would call me (in the end, never happened) to come get her. They explained that accidents happened frequentley and one or two of them was fine. They wouldn't take a kid that had accidents all the time, though.

Turns out kid did just great. I made it a point to have to go to the bathroom right before we went to the club and asked her to go again once she checked in. The first day, I showed her the bathroom in both the club and lab and she had no problems finding them and going.

Archived