Celebrity repeat or Carnival New?

NYCcruiser86

Hi All!

Just got off the Equinox for an 11 night Easter Med - no words to describe it.

However, now I'm obviously thinking about next year's cruise options :D ! What it comes down to is that my partner is a teacher so we can't really cruise except for 1 week in February (which is my busiest time of year at the office) or July. He's a cruise novice (only 2 so far) and hasn't done the caribbean ever.

Bottom line, we can't do another cruise in the Med (to expen$ive for 2 year$ in a row!) so we have two choices:

1.) Celebrity Summit to Bermuda

2.) Carnival Splendor to Eastern Caribbean

We like these because there's no airfare to worry about. BIG :D

The situation: I've done the Bermuda route on the Summit twice in the past three years. We haven't been the Summit since the renovation though. We just LOVE Celebrity but I would like to expand our destinations.

He's never sailed Carnival and is apprehensive after only sailing Celebrity for his two cruises. I haven't sailed Carnival since 2006. I remember Carnival being a little bit less luxurious but still having a great time.

What do you all recommend? We love that Celebrity doesn't attract a ton of children, but in July there will probably be a lot on board either. We also love that Celebrity has the beverage packages. If it was any route besides Bermuda I would jump at it.

Any thoughts/opinions??

Thanks guys!

Hi All!

However, now I'm obviously thinking about next year's cruise options :D ! What it comes down to is that my partner is a teacher so we can't really cruise except for 1 week in February (which is my busiest time of year at the office) or July. He's a cruise novice (only 2 so far) and hasn't done the caribbean ever.

Bottom line, we can't do another cruise in the Med (to expen$ive for 2 year$ in a row!) so we have two choices:

The situation: I've done the Bermuda route on the Summit twice in the past three years. We haven't been the Summit since the renovation though. We just LOVE Celebrity but I would like to expand our destinations.

He's never sailed Carnival and is apprehensive after only sailing Celebrity for his two cruises. I haven't sailed Carnival since 2006. I remember Carnival being a little bit less luxurious but still having a great time.

What do you all recommend? We love that Celebrity doesn't attract a ton of children, but in July there will probably be a lot on board either. We also love that Celebrity has the beverage packages. If it was any route besides Bermuda I would jump at it.

Any thoughts/opinions??

Thanks guys!

The Equinox was so great that absolutely no other cruise ship would do, so we booked the same 2 cruises 2years in a row--2011 and 2012, the Western Med.. That being said, we have over 17 cruises on Carnival, have been on the Splendor, and, well, after the Equnox, only X will do for us.....We didn't like the Splendor (the ship)--it's a hodge-podge of design, and the food was, well, terrible. Why not check out the Carib. w/X ???

The Equinox was so great that absolutely no other cruise ship would do, so we booked the same 2 cruises 2years in a row--2011 and 2012, the Western Med.. That being said, we have over 17 cruises on Carnival, have been on the Splendor, and, well, after the Equnox, only X will do for us.....We didn't like the Splendor (the ship)--it's a hodge-podge of design, and the food was, well, terrible. Why not check out the Carib. w/X ???

Thanks for that feedback. That was my fear! The S-Class is so gorgeous and well laid out we can't imagine anything comparing lol.

We would LOVE to sail the Caribbean with X but they only sail Nov-April AKA right during school season when my partner is teaching. We have one week in Feb we could try but it always so much money because its when all the schools are closed :(

If only they sailed the Carib in the summer....

In July you have some other Caribbean options that look good too such as RCI's Allure, Oasis and Freedom. These are really nice ships. You also have some newer CCL ships like the Dream and the Breeze. Personally I suggest looking into those RCI ships. The Allure and Oasis are getting rave reviews so look into them. We have taken 2 CCL cruises and had fun on both. I would love to try one of their new ships. Cheers, Larry. :)

In July you have some other Caribbean options that look good too such as RCI's Allure, Oasis and Freedom. These are really nice ships. You also have some newer CCL ships like the Dream and the Breeze. Personally I suggest looking into those RCI ships. The Allure and Oasis are getting rave reviews so look into them. We have taken 2 CCL cruises and had fun on both. I would love to try one of their new ships. Cheers, Larry. :)

Thanks Jacketwatch!

We debated that but at the end of the day decided the Oasis and Allure just aren't meant for cruisers like us. Nothing against them but we don't think we'd really enjoy them.

As for the Dream and Breeze, would you recommend those over the Splendor? I've been hearing a lot of good things about them design wise.

Try the Solstice out of Seattle to Alaska next summer. Honestly, the ports are not the best for Alaska but 1) the ports are fine; 2) it's a 7 day cruise; 3) X doesn't sail to the Caribbean in the summer; and 4) it's a Solstice class ship.

If you're still considering Carnival, some other thoughts:

First, Carnival is experimenting with beverage packages right now. I'm betting that they'll be rolled out fleet wide by the time you cruise. Carnival isn't my cup of tea anymore, but it wouldn't be the most popular cruise line in the world if it were all bad. If you enjoyed it before, you'll probably enjoy it again especially if you don't spend the whole cruise comparing it to Celebrity. Is the smoking policy on Celebrity something that you like or tolerate? If it's something that you like, Carnival might not be for you.

Second, have you looked at other lines? In my experience, Princess is closest to Celebrity among the other cruise lines. If the smoking policy on Celebrity was something that was attractive to you, Princess recently revised there's so that it is nearly as restrictive as Celebrity's. No smoking in any cabin or balcony, for example. Princess does have ships sailing in the Caribbean during the summer.

Good luck!

Try the Solstice out of Seattle to Alaska next summer. Honestly, the ports are not the best for Alaska but 1) the ports are fine; 2) it's a 7 day cruise; 3) X doesn't sail to the Caribbean in the summer; and 4) it's a Solstice class ship.

If you're still considering Carnival, some other thoughts:

First, Carnival is experimenting with beverage packages right now. I'm betting that they'll be rolled out fleet wide by the time you cruise. Carnival isn't my cup of tea anymore, but it wouldn't be the most popular cruise line in the world if it were all bad. If you enjoyed it before, you'll probably enjoy it again especially if you don't spend the whole cruise comparing it to Celebrity. Is the smoking policy on Celebrity something that you like or tolerate? If it's something that you like, Carnival might not be for you.

Second, have you looked at other lines? In my experience, Princess is closest to Celebrity among the other cruise lines. If the smoking policy on Celebrity was something that was attractive to you, Princess recently revised there's so that it is nearly as restrictive as Celebrity's. No smoking in any cabin or balcony, for example. Princess does have ships sailing in the Caribbean during the summer.

Good luck!

Thanks for this feedback! When we cruise we like to be in the sun and warmth. Alaska looks like a great cruise but we're not considering that at the moment. I've done Princess before and it was ok. We checked Princess for next summer and they aren't running any Caribbean :(

NYCcruiser86,

You could also consider RCIs Jewel of the Seas, sailing out of San Juan, doind 7 day southern Caribben itineraries: St. Croix, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados. It would require airfare from Ny, obviously, but it's a great cruise! And the smaller RCi ships are really wonderful, great food and service, not crowded feeling, etc. Worth taking a look at, i should think.

Enjoy whichever you choose. Incidentally, we didn't think we would be fans of Oasis/allure ships either - they are so big! We are elites on Celebrity (over 20 cruises in the last 5 years) and whatever the highest level is with Princess (13 cruises in the last 8 years) and were pretty convinced they would just bee too big and crowded. Have to say - fastest embarcation/disembarcation we've ever experienced (and we have to go through the non-US lines), easiest time of getting a lounge chair by one of the pools of any ship we've ever been on - any time of day. Never once felt the crowds, amazing people managment, etc. The ship is spectacular, shows were great, service was very good, evenings were quite lively and always was able to find a quiet place to relax. No, it is not X, which is our favorite, but it is great fun. It was really incredible how well they manage those 2 ships. We've been on them 3 times in the last 18 months, just for fun.

Again, enjoy whichever you choose.

Are you looking for a NYC/NJ port? Try RCC Explorer of the Seas from Bayonne. Eastern Caribbean. Great cruise....

That is what I'd do; I wouldn't want to sail on Carnival and would rather shake up the ship and itinerary than repeat the same Celebrity cruise (as much as I love Celebrity).

If you did not care for Princess, I sincerely doubt you will enjoy Carnival. Have sailed them all-Carnival twice- and if I only could choose between doing Celebrity or Carnival, I would definitely go Celebrity. If Carnival was the only option--*I would not cruise!*

Hi All!

Thanks guys!

after almost being talked out of it by people's negative comments about Carnival. The ship (quite new and same model/floorplan as Costa Concordia)was fantastic, service was great and even on New Years Eve, never saw the insane behavior often attributed to Carnival cruisers. Food was NOT as good as Celebrity but still had a GREAT time.

Thanks for this feedback! When we cruise we like to be in the sun and warmth. Alaska looks like a great cruise but we're not considering that at the moment. I've done Princess before and it was ok. We checked Princess for next summer and they aren't running any Caribbean :(

Did you check to see if RCI Enchantment of the Seas is still sailing out of Baltimore next summer? It's an older, smaller ship than the Oasis class, but we really enjoyed it. And driving to Baltimore is definitely doable. We did it from NJ and spent the night before the cruise in a hotel near the Inner Harbor...they let us park there free for the length of the cruise (9 nights) and drove us to and from the port for free.

Hi All!

Any thoughts/opinions??

Thanks guys!

July is a crazy month due to school holidays...

Your options (Celebrity Summit, Carnival Splendor ) are less that desirable.

The only option for Bermuda in July 2013 is the new Norwegian Breakaway. The line is average at best but this brand new flagship is definitely worth trying once.

They have so-called free style dining. Be prepared to pay about $150-200 pp for decent food in multiple extra charge eateries to enjoy "free style".

However the ship of choice in July (when Princess and HAL ships are not available) is the Allure of the Seas from Fort Lauderdale.

Celebrity S-Class won't hold a candle to this ship.

Summit and Splendor are going to be kid city in summer. I just did Summit to Bermuda and the kids were well-behaved but there were 400. There will be more than that on Carnival because the more families sail Carnival than Celebrity.

So there is no getting away from the kids in summer

Even on our Alaska cruise in July on Infinity- there were lots of kids.

Having said that- there are so many great things about the new improved Summit. I love Bistro on Five and Qsine. Love, love them. We had a fantastic time and Bermuda is so beautiful. It was great being docked there for two nights. I'd love to go back.

The pool area was totally packed with people though and if you are looking for fun in the sun... it was too crowded around the pool. But it was a trade-off because Bermuda was so wonderful and I got to swim with the dolphins, snorkel, visit the Aquarium etc. Loved it there.

I did Summit to Bermuda because we could drive there. I was wow'd by the sail around Bermuda (6-7AM) before docking at the Royal Dockyard. We had beautiful sunsets while at sea. It was really a magical cruise.

We did the Summit this past June. Loved our cruise. It was the last week of June so there were a lot of children but they never were a problem. While we are loyal Celebrity cruisers, we did go on the Freedom last March and we did enjoy it. Seemed only a somewhat bigger than the S class ships. (It did seem somewhat "closed in" having the indoor promenade).

Keeping in mind everyone's tastes vary, I find it best to try the various cruiselines out for myself. Haven't had a bad cruise yet.

I hear ya on sailing from NY/NJ and skipping the airports.

Brand new NCL Breakaway is coming to NY in 2013 as well. I look forward to checking out Splendor too since I've not sailed it.

Why didn't you like Princess?

Even though I haven't taken many X cruises have been on the Splendor. The CD was always "Me me me" and his acd was almost as bad. It is likely that they are no longer with CCL. I would say take Celebrity even though you have done Bermuda alot. I have exhausted all cruises from CA (having been to Ensenda several times)

Doug

If you can't wait till next July.... I would recommend trying to do a 4 or 5 day in February on the Constellation to the Caribbean. Understand that you are busy but depending on her schedule.. perhaps a long weekend would be possible. We did a B2B on the Century 4night/ 5 night (same routes). They were very enjoyable.. fairly reasonable cost.

Celebrity is our first choice. We did not have a good experience the first time we sailed Carnival--on the Paradise shortly after 9-11, when it was a no-smoking ship.

We were looking for an inexpensive cruise to take with friends to celebrate my husband's 60th birthday. We ended up on the Carnival Legend because it was very cheap. As it turned out we had a great time. We were pleasantly surprised with many aspects of the cruise. The food in the Dining room was similar in quality to what Celebrity is now. The buffet was OK, not as good as Celebrity. The specialty restaurant was a disappointment. The ship was UGLY (IMHO). Many of the passengers did not dress up. If we had been alone, I probably would have been "very distracted" by passengers in gym shorts and tee shirts in the MDR. The entertainment was better on the Legend--comedy every night was a big plus for us.

Our friends, some who had never cruised before, bought a future cruise credit or whatever it is called on Carnival.

Good luck with your decision...

Archived