What's the 1st thing you do?

ediemarie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We drop off our bags in the cabin and bring in the other luggage if it has arrived. Then we get some lunch and check out the ship for a little while. Then I get a nice martini and take it back to our balcony and begin to relax in the sunshine. Ahhhh...can't wait for our next cruise. Oh and I almost forgot, I make all our dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants as soon as we arrive in the cabin.

• 1 month later...

Since we will be sailing on Celebrity, I have to make sure to get a glass of champagne or a mimosa upon boarding. Then we'll probably drop our carryons in our rooms and start exploring. We'll be boarding in Seward, AK and will probably eat on land after our Marine Mammal Encounter at the Alaska Sea Life Center - so no need to head to the buffet or the place that does the crepes (can't remember the name).

Our last cruise, we had my in-laws with us and we went to the buffet to eat after boarding. When the kids finished, they wanted to hit the pool, so we went to watch them splash around for a while before the rooms were ready for us to drop our carryons.

This time my mom will be with us and while she's cruised 3 times before, she's never been on Celebrity, so I'm excited to see her reactions. So can't wait!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This list might contain some Carnival-specific examples.

• Gawk at the high ceiling in the ship's atrium.
  • Wander around the ship, to take pictures and learn the layout.
  • Stop by my cabin, and ditch the carry-ons.
  • Go to buffet to eat my first meal on the ship; take a picture of it.
  • Take gratuitous shots of the whale tail, then of myself in front of it.
  • Attend the muster drill, of course.
  • Shout "whoo!" as the ship sails away.
  • Go to the assigned MDR to find out where my dinner table is.
  • Swim in the pool and/or lounge in a hot tub.
  • Laugh after seeing a towel animal sitting on my bed.
  • Eat dinner; learn my tablesmates' names and their plans for upcoming ports.
  • Watch the "Welcome Aboard" show.
  • Find a fun club to dance in until I just plain run out of steam.

• 2 months later...

i have to explore first and then i may jump in the pool ...i don't really eat much so my hubby will go get lunch while i go off a wandering. i've been known to shed a tear or two once i know i'm really getting away from the stresses at home for a while ...it's a bucket list thing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Once the carry-ons are deposited in the cabin, then find the dining room which is open for lunch. Sometimes this takes a little hunting around, since staff will direct you to the buffet, but I like my first meal on board to be a served lunch.

Then off to explore the ship!

Once the carry-ons are deposited in the cabin, then find the dining room which is open for lunch. Sometimes this takes a little hunting around, since staff will direct you to the buffet, but I like my first meal on board to be a served lunch.

Then off to explore the ship!

Agree!

• 4 weeks later...

Rccl specific-

First thing we do once we step onboard is check out our dining room table, making sure its a table for two and the table is in a good location. Next I run up to the spa and get all my appointments booked. Doing this right away allowse to have the best pick at the times and services I'm looking for. Next we head to the windjammer for the famous HONEY STUNG CHICKEN lol !!! Then no matter what the weather or port we are leaving from we throw on our bath n suits and jump into the hot tub with a frozen drink and listen to the poolside band at the sail away party.

Wow, just reading all the rituals is getting me so excited for our next cruise. We usually try to get to the port early (no later than 11am) so we are never able to get into our cabin right away. We try not to carry on too much so we don't get exhausted before we can lighten our load. We'll usually wander around a bit, maybe grab some lunch before everything gets too crowded and then scope out a good spot for sailaway activities. Then we have to find our muster station of course. Since DH is a engineer/techie type and also sails on historic square rigged ships he then likes to grab a Long Island Iced Tea and get into position to watch them cast off lines, pull the anchor and maneuver the wondrous beast out of the port. I tag along with a suitable concoction of my own - maybe a Tequila Sunrise or a Greyhound! :D

haven't been on this site for a few years but i remember reading a thread similar. had some great replies. looked but couldn't find it so I'll just start this one!

for me it is a mimosa ASAP!

I've never been on a cruise. I will be in March (RCCL - Freedom). I reckon I'll first just want to turn on the TV and flip my way around the "dial" so I don't need to flip much later. Lay down on the bed and watch TV for a bit. Also, did I hear "chocolate under the pillow"? That sounds good!

As soon as I am done decompressing from being in the embarcation crowd, I'll probably venture out and look at the schedule on the TVs in the hall (I thought I saw that's how it worked), and then walk the promenade.

Edited by SXMFreedom

Freedom is a beautiful ship you will have a great time! Most cabins won't be ready until around 1:30. While you are waiting you can grab lunch in the windjammer on deck 11 back of the ship. The first day for lunch is very crowded and a bit overwhelming your first time but don't let that discourage you for the rest of the vacation. Once everyone settles so do the crowds.