Please help me decide between rhapsody, voyager or radiance

jensue1

I have sailed 3 times on mariner and about to sail on freedom this December. I have managed to talk the family into a Christmas cruise out of Sydney next year. None of them have cruised before. There will be 3 in their 30s, 2 in their 50s, 1 85 and 2 children 6 and 8. The itinerays are really much the same and the dates pretty much as well. I was thinking of booking voyager as I know that class of ship and thought the kids would like the ice skating rink etc. but then I see that radiance is getting a make over before next Christmas.

Would love your comments on which ship you would book. Would love to turn the family onto cruising!

I have sailed 3 times on mariner and about to sail on freedom this December. I have managed to talk the family into a Christmas cruise out of Sydney next year. None of them have cruised before. There will be 3 in their 30s, 2 in their 50s, 1 85 and 2 children 6 and 8. The itinerays are really much the same and the dates pretty much as well. I was thinking of booking voyager as I know that class of ship and thought the kids would like the ice skating rink etc. but then I see that radiance is getting a make over before next Christmas.

Would love your comments on which ship you would book. Would love to turn the family onto cruising!

Thinking in terms of activities for the young people, in order of preference: Voyager, Radiance, Rhapsody. Rhapsody was our last cruise this past June, and she is in beautiful shape since her revitalization, but no mini golf. As you mentioned, Voyager has the ice rink and mini golf and Radiance has the mini golf. Voyager and Radiance also have a kids pool area, but your young people may already be beyond the age for those venues.

Also, for people who have never cruised before, the Royal Promenade is impressive sight.

Thinking in terms of activities for the young people, in order of preference: Voyager, Radiance, Rhapsody.

I'm with clarea... the order I'd suggest is Voyager, Radiance, Rhapsody. Radiance was my first ship (and thus my "first love"), so I have a definite soft spot for her. However, Voyager does have a couple extras for the young adults/kids like the flowrider and the ice rink.

You'll have fun no matter which one you choose!

Tracy

I'm with clarea... the order I'd suggest is Voyager, Radiance, Rhapsody. Radiance was my first ship (and thus my "first love"), so I have a definite soft spot for her. However, Voyager does have a couple extras for the young adults/kids like the flowrider and the ice rink.

You'll have fun no matter which one you choose!

Tracy

Just a small correction, no flowrider on Voyager.

Bob

And another Voyager vote. I've been on the Rhapsody too (from Galveston) and it is a nice ship, but there is a WOW factor on the voyager class (and presumably higher) ships. As you know, the Voyager is almost identical to the Mariner. Is there much of a price difference? If not, I'd go with the Voyager. One more point -- I think Adventure Ocean (for the kids) is larger on the Voyager.

Thanks for the replies. You've confirmed how I'm thinking. I still remember the feeling of amazement when I boarded mariner for the first time. I want that for them too. I just saw that radiance was getting quite a few oasis class dinning options etc in its make over but think I will go with voyager. :)

Can always do radiance next time ;)

Hi jensue1

Which cruise are you looking at doing?

I have been on all 3 ships (well 2 of them + Mariner). The ship you pick should depend on which cruise you have picked. If you are looking at cruising the South Pacific, I would pick Radiance as Voyager is too big to visit most ports in the South Pacific. If you are visiting around OZ, then Voyager would be fine. I like Rhapsody too, but I think my kids would get bored after having cruised on Mariner and Radiance ;).

Hi brossy we are looking at the soth pacific. Actually after talking to one of the family members it seems getting leave from work just before Christmas is difficult for her so we might have to go for radiance as that cruise leaves dec 20, two days later than voyager. I guess the kids will have to miss out on the ice skating. At least radiance will have the new alterations by then.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

Hi brossy we are looking at the soth pacific. Actually after talking to one of the family members it seems getting leave from work just before Christmas is difficult for her so we might have to go for radiance as that cruise leaves dec 20, two days later than voyager. I guess the kids will have to miss out on the ice skating. At least radiance will have the new alterations by then.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

Hi jensue1

You're welcome :).

BTW Radiance was in drydock last year. She has all the new restaurants already added including Izumi, Ritas Cantina etc.

You're kids will be fine on Radiance as it still has a basketball court (only 1/2 size one), mini golf, rock climbing etc. Oh and Radiance even has a movie theatre (my son loved going in there).

They also had a bbq on deck every 2nd day....the food was amazing!

Hi Jen, sorry do not come to these boards as much so missed your post.

You finally come to Sydney for a cruise? Are you talking those "others" into coming as well or is just your family.:p

It would be nice to catch up with you all again. I was also hoping to go away next Christmas but too early for us to say. Anyway I will come down to see you, hopefully you will be in Sydney the day before you cruise.

Hi jensue1

You're welcome :).

BTW Radiance was in drydock last year. She has all the new restaurants already added including Izumi, Ritas Cantina etc.

You're kids will be fine on Radiance as it still has a basketball court (only 1/2 size one), mini golf, rock climbing etc. Oh and Radiance even has a movie theatre (my son loved going in there).

They also had a bbq on deck every 2nd day....the food was amazing!

And don't forget the fun self-leveling billiard tables! We love the Radiance and it will provide wonderful views for you in the stunning South Pacific. (including glass elevators that face the sea). :)

Radiance is my favorite ship (we just got off her "sister ship" Brillance) -- even having cruised other RCCI ships and other lines, Radiance remains my favorite.

The Radiance-class is a nice size -- big enough for some amenities, but small enought that when in port the pax disembarking will not double or triple the port city's population!

Archived