Another Air Deviation Question

raerom

Can you request air deviation after final payment? It would be interesting to see what flights Oceania will offer. If they are acceptable why pay the deviation fee? What are the negatives if I wait? Thanks everyone!

Can you request air deviation after final payment? It would be interesting to see what flights Oceania will offer. If they are acceptable why pay the deviation fee? What are the negatives if I wait? Thanks everyone!

You may request an Air Deviation at any time, but if you don't pay the deviation fee then you are not notified of the route that Oceania will book for you before they buy it, and after they buy it you are locked in.

By booking & paying the deviation fee you can fly in earlier or stay later after the cruise

You can choose the flights you want (you may or may not pay an upcharge)

You can choose non stops where applicable

You can book flights around 270 prior to cruise departure day

You will know your flights well in advance

I look for the routing & price then ask my wonderful TA to ask O what they will give me for those dates if not suitable I will ask if they can do the flights I want & see if there is any extra charge

see what the air credit is

Then decide what works best for me

Lyn

We are using O's air for the first time. We are paying the deviation fee and upcharge now and final payment isn't until December. When can we book our seats? Thanks.

Call the airline

When I looked at the seat assignment O had for me under the website they gave me ...I did not like the seats so called Air Canada & they changed them for me ..no problem

Other airlines may differ

Lyn

You may request an Air Deviation at any time, but if you don't pay the deviation fee then you are not notified of the route that Oceania will book for you before they buy it, and after they buy it you are locked in.

The deviation fee is not paid at the time of the request. It is paid at the time of acceptance, so you do see the proposed air itinerary first.

Shari

Sharicruz6

The air itineraries are done 75 days prior to sailing. If you request an air deviation after final payment at 89 (assuming your final payment is due 90 days prior to sailing)days the flights available at that time may not be available at 75 days.

Shari

Sharicruz6

We just completed booking of first O cruise on Riviera April 28. I used O's air deviation and after a few back and forth with their air department through TA we finally arrived at a reasonable series of flights and seats have already been booked. Looking forward to our trip.

The deviation fee is not paid at the time of the request. It is paid at the time of acceptance, so you do see the proposed air itinerary first.

Shari

Sharicruz6

I agree with you Shari, but the OP asked if they could request a deviation AFTER they received their "un-deviated" route from Oceania.

In that case the passenger would not see the proposal until it was a fait accompli. :D

Can you request air deviation after final payment? It would be interesting to see what flights Oceania will offer. If they are acceptable why pay the deviation fee? What are the negatives if I wait?
Well this is 2nd hand reporting ... but a person on our Roll Call for a previous Oceania cruise decided to gamble on Oceania air without deviation. They were very unhappy with the flights they received about 45 days from sailing. At that point, they decided to pay the deviation fee and requested specific flights. After several stressful days of back and forth, they did receive their preferred flights but at considerable up-charge. They mused aloud that those same flights may have been available at a lesser charge had they done deviation sooner. They said they learned a valuable lesson and would never leave their flights to chance in the future.

I agree with you Shari, but the OP asked if they could request a deviation AFTER they received their "un-deviated" route from Oceania.

In that case the passenger would not see the proposal until it was a fait accompli. :D

Hi Jim,

I did understand they asked about after...and they can request it and see what the proposed itinerary would be...they would not go into it not knowing..

Shari

Sharicruz6

Hi Jim,

I did understand they asked about after...and they can request it and see what the proposed itinerary would be...they would not go into it not knowing..

Shari

Sharicruz6

Again you are correct, but you are answering a question that was not asked.

I think that we both agree that a person who is using Oceania Air and is not paying the Deviation Fee simply gets a notice just after final payment as to what their Air Arrangements will be.

The original question was, "can I wait until I see what those arrangements are before I decide if I want to deviate".

How would you answer that?

The original question was, "can I wait until I see what those arrangements are before I decide if I want to deviate".

It's like asking "Can I wait until I know if I'm going to get sick on a trip before I decide if I want to buy travel insurance?"

there is an additional fee of $150 pp to make changes to the booking after final payment. this is separate from the air deviation fee which just went from $125 to $150 pp. you are better off requesting what you really want before final.

• 4 weeks later...

I just rebooked my cruise Jewels of Pacific March 14th 2013 with O including Air cancelling from a TA just for the reason of Air deviation.

O told me today that air schedules WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE UNTIL 75 Days prior to depature, in our case the date is Dec 28th. I can wait and SEE what that is and then request air devaition, OR I can request one now and when I approve it, I will be charged the $150 PP fee. IT is a l O N G journey from Edmonton!

We haven't discussed whether we will go earlier as we have almost 1 1/2 days at port before we depart, and on way home we dock at 6 PM on April 6th and MUST Disembark at Papeete at 9 AM April 7th however, NO flights depart until almost midnight so we will have a full day to see the tiny island.

I just rebooked my cruise Jewels of Pacific March 14th 2013 with O including Air cancelling from a TA just for the reason of Air deviation.

O told me today that air schedules WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE UNTIL 75 Days prior to depature, in our case the date is Dec 28th. I can wait and SEE what that is and then request air devaition, OR I can request one now and when I approve it, I will be charged the $150 PP fee. IT is a l O N G journey from Edmonton!

If it were me I would request flights now & fly in at least one day early

Flying from YEG in the winter you could experiences delays...I think they do get snow there don't they:D

But that is just me YMMV

Lyn

Thanks for the tip!

We MAY book early, but we do not Leave port until the 15th at 8 PM and we can get on the ship at noon on the 14th of March.

It does snow here but it never causes a great delay in our flights as we don't get TONNES of snow! just bright sunshine & sometimes very COLD winter weather by your standards any time between late October through to late February. Yesterday it was 24 degress C here, a beautiful Indian summer still!

I will look for a moderate priced hotel close to the harbour and weigh the cost before we decide if we want to go earlier. All the extras add up quickly!

My flight from Papeete to LAX in mid January is at 10pm. Additionally I have booked a day hotel from Oceania which includes transfers. Others are booking a day at a resort independently. Others are going on day long Island tours. one couple are leaving the ship, with permission, in Moorea. They plan to take the ferry to Tahiti and go home that night. Just thought you might like to hear some options.

We took air deviation and selected reasonable flights with a good long uninterrupted night flight segment. In addition we are flying into Rio a day early from YYZ.

Again you are correct, but you are answering a question that was not asked.

I think that we both agree that a person who is using Oceania Air and is not paying the Deviation Fee simply gets a notice just after final payment as to what their Air Arrangements will be.

The answer would be yes~

Shari

Sharicruz6

Archived